[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

It is poorly worded.

Not really.

"Learn more about the Ethiopia Pack, the next piece of content coming to the New Frontier Pass, on Monday, July 13."

"the next piece of content coming to the New Frontier Pass" is in between commas so it is a separate clause referring to "Ethiopia".

Basically, the sentence could also be, "Learn more about the Ethiopia Pack on Monday, July 13. Ethiopia Pack is the next piece of content to the New frontier Pass."

Just because something is grammatically correct doesn't mean it's clear. The first time I glanced at it, I thought it might mean that the pack was being released on July 13; it was only on carefully re-reading it that I could see what was meant. It's not good writing if people are arguing afterward about what was meant. It could have been phrased much less ambiguously. I guarantee you that on July 13 there will be people pissed off because they thought they were told that was the release date.

Just because something is grammatically correct doesn't mean it's clear. The first time I glanced at it, I thought it might mean that the pack was being released on July 13; it was only on carefully re-reading it that I could see what was meant. It's not good writing if people are arguing afterward about what was meant. It could have been phrased much less ambiguously. I guarantee you that on July 13 there will be people pissed off because they thought they were told that was the release date.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand how anyone can possibly be confused by the announcement. We use commas to separate descriptions all the time. That's very basic English. If you aren't a native English speaker, then sure, maybe the announcement is confusing. But otherwise, I just don't get it.

Anyway, we're drifting too far off topic now. No more from me about it.

Looking forward to the 13th!

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand how anyone can possibly be confused by the announcement. We use commas to separate descriptions all the time. That's very basic English. If you aren't a native English speaker, then sure, maybe the announcement is confusing. But otherwise, I just don't get it.

Anyway, we're drifting too far off topic now. No more from me about it.

Looking forward to the 13th!

It doesn't matter if it is grammatically correct though, it's a marketing announcement. The correct form is whatever conveys your message most clearly to most people.

Not that I care. As someone who doesn't work for Firaxis, I will be amused by the people annoyed and confused by the tweet.

Mods are a godsend for PC gamers like myself, but won't you think of our poor, downtrodden console-gaming brethren.

I genuinely always forget about them. :lol:

Epic store players too, right?

It doesn't matter if it is grammatically correct though, it's a marketing announcement. The correct form is whatever conveys your message most clearly to most people.

Not that I care. As someone who doesn't work for Firaxis, I will be amused by the people annoyed and confused by the tweet.

I genuinely always forget about them. :lol:

Epic store players too, right?

No, to your last question. There is appearantly a method to download mods on steam, without requiring the game via steam. It is a bit more tedious. There are also other sites outside of steam where mods can be downloaded, like here at civfanatics, but also like nexusmods and probably more.

As an English major, I feel somewhat qualified to weigh in. The announcement is worded in such a way that there ought to be no ambiguity for a native English speaker. @SupremacyKing2 is absolutely right.

As an ESL learner and English teacher, I'd say it's very easy to misinterpret the message and its indicated timing, especially for non-native speakers. Unless the announcement was exclusively aimed at native speakers of English, its wording is needlessly complicated bordering on clumsy.

I understood what they meant btw, but still: not their best announcement.

"Learn more about the Ethiopia Pack, the next piece of content coming to the New Frontier Pass, on Monday, July 13."

I literally don't know what they're trying to say. Is the pack coming or is the info coming?

You don't drop a bunch of info in a run on sentence like that. Advertisements need short sentences that get to the point, not long ones that arc around it

I literally don't know what they're trying to say. Is the pack coming or is the info coming?

You don't drop a bunch of info in a run on sentence like that. Advertisements need short sentences that get to the point, not long ones that arc around it

I'd say the "Learn more" imply there is just more info dumping. According to past practices, it's around the 20th of the month that packs are released.

To me the use of commas connects the first part of the sentence with the final part. So we are learning more about it tomorrow, not getting the DLC itself.

I am curious as to what exactly we will be learning - the fact they say the Ethiopia Pack makes me think it might just go into a bit more detail about the whole pack, so it won't be an Ethiopia first look or anything.

To me the use of commas connects the first part of the sentence with the final part. So we are learning more about it tomorrow, not getting the DLC itself.

I am curious as to what exactly we will be learning - the fact they say the Ethiopia Pack makes me think it might just go into a bit more detail about the whole pack, so it won't be an Ethiopia first look or anything.
So we won't learn who leader of Ethiopia is?:sad:

Hopefully the Pack is released this week. I'm on vacation. But info is really nice.

So we won't learn who leader of Ethiopia is?:sad:
I don't know. But it sounds like the focus for tomorrow's announcement is going to be the pack as a whole, rather than just the Civ. I don't think it'll be a first look but that's not to say they won't reveal some details about Ethiopia.

Of course there's also the chance that the only thing revealed tomorrow is the release date :crazyeye:

Kind of rude, but a misplaced comma would imply new content and not just info to come tomorrow.
"Learn more about the Ethiopia, Pack, the next piece of content coming to the New Frontier Pass on Monday, July 13."

The info is coming on July 13. It's pretty clear.

Is this update bringing a new district? This intrigues me most.

Yes.

The original teaser image / roadmap (https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1264951510741291009) said "New District & Infrastructure". Does "Infrastructure" mean anything specific for Civ 6? I think it's been hypothesized already, but does make me think of a bridge district, and the two new buildings are added to other existing districts.

"Infrastructure" is almost certainly referring to the two new buildings for the district.

Top Bottom