1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

2. Haig

Haig Deity

People have convinced themselves as #5 being Vietnam + asian alt.leader but I think the pack could be Portugal + Dutch alt and the new district and game mode related to them.

3. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Or Portugal and Asian alt :D

4. bite

Moderator Action: A final reminder for people that the place to discuss possible new civs in the NFP is HERE

Thormodr likes this.
  5. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

It is still odd that there were no presales. Chalking it up to the pandemic somehow.

Moderator Action: snip

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I believe the XCOM:CS game they released last month had pre-order. So I don't think it has anything to do with COVID19. I think they just didn't want it to be up for sale without that initial DLC to be the buyer's instant gratification, since it's going to take 10 months before the entire content line-up is out.

7. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

I wonder why there are no separate livestreams for each civ. Then they also have to show the Apocalypse mode. It will feel like a jampacked livestream tomorrow!

8. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

Yeah I bought it on pre-order so I can confirm (it also had an insanely huge pre-order discount for some reason)

Anyway wasn't the deluxe pack for vanilla Civ VI available for pre-order too? You know, the one which included all future DLC packs as well up to R&F? So I still feel like there's a bit of inconsistency with not doing it for this one. Not that it really matters much but yeah

Edit: Also do we still not know what the actual release time is on Thursday? I saw there's a live stream at 2pm EST but what might that mean for the DLC release time? I don't remember if they usually did those at the same time as new content went live or if there were a few hours' gap in-between

9. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

here are more details on Pack 1: https://civilization.com/new-frontier-pass/civilization-vi-maya-gran-columbia-pack
    New “Apocalypse” Game Mode - Requires the Gathering Storm expansion to play

• Adds Forest Fires and Meteor Showers as disaster types to all games.
    • An optional, specialized game mode with exclusive rule changes:
      • New disasters: Comet Impact and Solar Flares.
      • Larger versions of existing disasters.
      • New military unit: Soothsayer, a Support unit that can trigger natural disasters at the player’s command.
      • New scored competition: Sacrifice units to volcanoes. Requires Soothsayers to use their unique action on friendly units near a volcano.
      • The world enters an apocalyptic state when climate change reaches its maximum level
    Also includes six new City-States, two new Resources and three new Natural Wonders.

So we already know new Resources (honey and corn), we already know three new Natural Wonders, we know one out of six City-States (Vatican City).
    As for game mode in fact this looks like a cosmetic cherry on top rather than a big thing. Mechanically it's just an additional ticking clock that will make your game crazy hard to win if the time is reached. A unit we need more information on and an additional disaster and one additional competition.

10. Myomoto

Myomoto King

Basically sounds like a 4X version of Populous (which is what I was hoping for).

11. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

Nobody's curious about what the 'apocalyptic era' will be? Is it a new era like the Information or Atomic, replacing, for exemple, the Future Era if we pollute too much? What impacts will it have on the game? I mean, it could be awesome even if I doubt it.

12. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Yes, yes, yes!

Not an era, though I'm very curious to see what is is. Likely the intensity of forest fires etc goes through the roof. But maybe there's something more to it.

13. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Thanks for the info. I wonder when the soothsayer unit will be available and how will the AI use it? Is it an early game unit or only available when the world enters an apocalypse state? I hope it is not a unit that we can just spam all game and just spam natural disasters on other players constantly.

14. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Its not rhe apocaliptic era but an apocaliptic state. I think it will be stage of the game where disasters go crazy, turn into their larger version an you could be badly punished by RNG. Generally things will make your game very hard to win from this point.

Socrates- and blackcatatonic like this.
  15. bite

Like the tiles start flooding tile after tile until there is none standing

16. Socrates-

Socrates- Warlord

Maybe the apocalyptic stage of the game will trigger a new kind of worldwide emergency in which you can gain Diplomatic Victory points.

To me it sounds a bit like the classic Simcity games in which you'd let loose monsters & natural disasters on your city once it was 'finished'. Kinda fun, but a little gimmicky.

kryat likes this.
  17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

We know why we got Red Death now.
    It won't be an era. Just a state of the world once we reach maximum climate change.

Datgingah and Josephias like this.
  18. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

That just isn't a helpful comparison. There are some for who $40 is irrelevant, and that doesn't justify the price either. People will always have varied economic situations. What is meaningful is how the price compares to its alternatives. So is the $40 on content here going to outweigh $40 of content elsewhere.
    Also with the small piecemeal nature of these updates there is not a huge need for any of the other benefits of a presale like a preload or auto download overnight. You can buy each pack and have it ready in about as long as workshop mod would take to load.

Civrinn and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  19. Spaceturtle

Spaceturtle Chieftain

Honestly? the soothsayer looks like it could be fun (and extremely annoying when the AI uses it, lol). Big Populous vibes indeed

Curious about how the "apocaliptic era" will look and what are the details about the score system. On paper it looks like they could've gone even further with the concept. We'll see.

I'm hoping for wild and interesting stuff for this new modes. It will be a little disappointing if they just half ass a couple of new gameplay mechanics that will be played only once as a novelty.

I'm also wondering if this will also bring new modding tools and possibilities.

20. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

"New “Apocalypse” Game Mode - Requires the Gathering Storm expansion to play

• Adds Forest Fires and Meteor Showers as disaster types to all games."
    This wording is a bit unclear. Are these two disasters being added to "all games" as in the base game mechanics? Or only if the Apocalypse game mode is active?