[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Catherine looks like she got invited to Brazil's Carnival. :lol:

HAT

in all honesty though this might not go down well with the oromo protests. Like I said, the musician who was killed was protesting Menelik II as a tyrant who killed many oromo people just to get power.

Ethiopia looks like my type of civ though. I’m excited

Rough Rider teddy makes me want to play Bull Moose teddy a bit more, since he gets the national park bonuses emphasized

Per this Reddit Post, it is 100% confirmed as Menelik II: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/hqh0wy/for_those_who_missed_it_the_leader_of_ethiopia/

The portion in question:
ABE28037-BDF7-4492-B246-1E017C16B4A3.jpeg

Here is a distribution of current units in the game, plus some speculation in colour.

Numbers in the center include ALL units. UNIQUE rows include only unique count. Hulche and Llanero have been noted but not added to the count.

Just pointing out that we already have the Geneva CS representing Switzerland. The likelihood of getting a city-state with a Swiss Guard is extremely low.

I am very curious to see what civs are in expack 3. I think if expack 3 has at least one civ that isn't on your shortlist (which does appear to cover the remaining staples players expect, plus Vietnam), and isn't a western US tribe, then it's a fairly good sign that they are holding off some civs for a second season. So if expack 3 has anything like Italy, Bulgaria, Timurids, Burma, Berbers, Oman...the odds move quite in favor that either (1) there is more content after NFP or (2) the final game will be missing some of these staples.

So far these DLC packs are not inspiring much confidence that the devs have more mechanics in mind to fill out a second season though...maybe they can switch back to scenario packs though?

I wouldn’t mind the second season being more stuff like this. The game modes are thoroughly interesting so far. Apocalypse was fairly boring cuz it wasn’t an affect until late game and even then, it was just stuff getting destroyed. This seems like a lot more fun, and the upcoming historical modes are even more exciting

The interesting thing about choosing Menelik II over earlier Ethiopian rulers is how Sub-saharan Africa is represented chronologically.

Classical: Amanitore
Medieval: Musa
Renaissance: Mvemba
Industrial: Shaka
Late Industrial-Modern: Menelik II

We might be able to use this analysis to predict other new civs.

Edit: Followup analysis

So if we look at Europe, we see that there are already 4 classical leaders, 5 Medieval leaders, 6 Renaissance leaders, 1 Industrial leader, and 1 Modern leader. If we assume that they will add Portugal (Renaissance) and Byzantium (Medieval), the first thought is, why add anything else? But if they did, it certainly wouldn't be a Renaissance or Medieval civ like an Italian city-state. The obvious choice would be an Industrial era civ, like the Kingdom of Italy (Menelik's adversary). And don't try to talk me into Classical Celts. Scotland = deblobified Celts for better or worse in Civ VI.

Last edited:
The interesting thing about choosing Menelik II over earlier Ethiopian rulers is how Sub-saharan Africa is represented chronologically.

Classical: Amanitore
Medieval: Musa
Renaissance: Mvemba
Industrial: Shaka
Late Industrial-Modern: Menelik II

We might be able to use this analysis to predict other new civs.

I already did. Let me see if I can find it.

So if we look at Europe, we see that there are already 4 classical leaders, 5 Medieval leaders, 6 Renaissance leaders, 1 Industrial leader, and 1 Modern leader. If we assume that they will add Portugal (Renaissance) and Byzantium (Medieval), the first thought is, why add anything else? But if they did, it certainly wouldn't be a Renaissance or Medieval civ like an Italian city-state. The obvious choice would be an Industrial era civ, like the Kingdom of Italy (Menelik's adversary). And don't try to talk me into Classical Celts. Scotland = deblobified Celts for better or worse in Civ VI.
Not sure if Europe needs to follow that pattern considering there are so many.
But if we get Medieval Byzantines, Renaissance Portugal, and Ancient Assyria, or Babylon, then we could also get:
Classical=Trung Trac for Vietnam
Industrial= Manuelito for Navajo
:goodjob:

Not sure if Europe needs to follows that pattern considering there are so many.
But if we get medieval Byzantine, Renaissance Portugal, and Ancient Assyria or Babylon then we could also get:
Classical=Trung Trac for Vietnam
Industrial= Manuelito for Navajo
:goodjob:

Those aren't European. I'm looking at geographical-chronological combinations.

Here it is. I thought I had deleted it. I got bored and there's too many variables, so I'm not sure how reliable this is. This is only in regards to the Leader's lifespan. Make of it what you will:
Seondeok should be in the Medieval Era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Seondeok_of_Silla

Those aren't European. I'm looking at geographical-chronological combinations.
Yeah I realize that. Like I said I don't know if Europe necessary follows the same pattern as Africa would considering the amount of Medieval leaders it currently has.
Just pointing out possibilities based off of the remaining NFP spectrum though.

Here it is. I thought I had deleted it. I got bored and there's too many variables, so I'm not sure how reliable this is. This is only in regards to the Leader's lifespan. Make of it what you will:

Very good. I doubt you will find much in the way of Medieval Native Americans due to the conflagrations of colonialism, but you could feasibly consider Iroquois or a similar Eastern Woodland group to be Renaissance.

As I said before, any European beyond Portugal and Byzantium would likely go in the Industrial era. Like the Kingdom of Italy.

An Asian or SEA civ would probably want to be Renaissance or Industrial.

We could’ve gotten a classical SA civ if they’d given us the múisca :mad:

Also, Seondeok led after the fall of rome, making her a medieval leader

Likewise, Laurier led after Roosevelt—so both should be modern leaders

Additionally, Shaka died before Menelik gained his height of power—Shaka would be industrial, while Menelik would be modern

So Let’s look at some of the civs/leaders which are most requested on CivFanatics and see where they’d fit in

Byzantines would be (yet another) medieval european civ.

Timurids/Gurkhani would be a medieval asian civ

Berbers (under Dihya) would be a medieval MENA civ

Salish would be a Industrial NA Native American Civ

Tlingit if they go with Gush X’een would presumably be Classical or Medieval, but we don’t really know when he lived

Navajo under Manuelito or Barboncito would be Industrial

Benin would be Medieval, as would Ashanti

Shona would be Renaissance, as would Swahili

Vietnam under one of the Trung sisters would be classical, but could also end up being medieval or renaissance based on the leader. If they picked Ho Chi Minh (which, idk why) they’d be modern.

Philippines would be Modern regardless of whether their leader is Aquino, Aguinaldo or someone else. They could also get Lapu Lapu as a renaissance leader.

Ireland would be Medieval, maybe Classical.

Portugal would be Renaissance

Gaul would be classical

Babylon, Assyria, Hittites, Elam would be ancient

Philippines would be Modern regardless of whether their leader is Aquino, Aguinaldo or someone else. They could also get Lapu Lapu as a renaissance leader.

This looks likelier to me now.

The one thing making me consider that historical balance might not be as relevant to them at this stage any longer, is that the three leaders that came out so far were fan requests. There's also the matter of gender balance, making me think they might be going with Theodora again, or if not, the Trung Sisters.

I would expect Vietnam to have a modern slant, even if led by Trung Trac.

Also, Seondeok led after the fall of rome, making her a medieval leader

Still within the Three Kingdoms period though.

Top Bottom