1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If we had to get a American city as a city-state I think Honolulu would be the best choice representing a separate kingdom of Hawaii.

2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Indeed, of all the semi-independent/breakaway American states, I think Deseret has the best case for being its own civ or city-state. Again, not saying I want that, but it would make more sense than Texas or California IMO.

PhoenicianGold and Thenewwwguy like this.
  3. TeddyMain

TeddyMain Warlord

Not to sound rude but where did you hear this? From what I've seen the provisional state lasted for a little over 2 years, which is longer than California's 3 weeks, but far short of Texas's 9-10 years.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Being from Texas I have to disagree. :p

5. Zaarin

It's a nice state. I visited there many, many years ago, and I considered going to school there for my master's. But TBH I'm not just dying for any para-American civ. I kinda tolerate America in the game as it is. :p

6. Alexander's Hetaroi

I know. I just personally wouldn't put Deseret or the Republic of California above it for inclusion as a civ, or city-state. :p

If we need more city states in America though I would rather they go with Native American ones like Cahokia for the tribes that we won't get in the game.
    I don't see any reason why a Pueblo city-state couldn't get in as long as there are no leaders or language speaking right?

7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

You'd have to have some mechanism that would count as a capital capture for domination purposes. I just haven't thought of what it could be. And maybe culture flipping becomes easier for civs with negative diplo or at war with them.

8. Zaarin

100% agree.

I would suspect a Mesa Verde or Chaco Canyon city-state should be fine.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Even while they were a US territory, the LDS operated a kind of shadow government that held more authority there than the federal government far away in Washington. Young and his church elders were de facto rulers of the land until 1870.

Jkchart and Zaarin like this.
  10. Alexander's Hetaroi

Religious conversion maybe? Similar to how Calvinism greatly influenced Switzerland, especially John Calvin gaining control of Geneva making it a republic, eventually breaking off from the Holy Roman Empire.

WillowBrook and Thenewwwguy like this.
  11. Haig

Haig Deity

If the NFP follows expansion structure, there will be four old and four new civs (plus alt leader) and three of the leaders are female.

Old civs:
    Maya
    Ethiopia
    ???
    ???

New civs:
    Gran Colombia
    Vietnam(?)
    ???
    ???

My prediction for old civs would be Portugal and Byzantium, and from the new civs one is a native American one.

And if we get Vietnam with Trung Troc, I predict the third female to be..
    Zenobia leading Palmyra!

DLC3 would be Byzantium plus Palmyra with a middle-eastern map. Been reading about Zenobia and she would be a big personality and a cool leader screen. No idea what Palmyrean uniques could be..

Hawke9 likes this.
  12. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I don't believe the devs have to subscribe to a 4 new, 4 old split. The first year of DLC had five old (Aztec, Persia, Poland, Indonesia, Khmer) and three new (Nubia, Australia, Macedon). Although civs like Khmer and Mali occupy an interesting middle space where they are bringing an even older civ back to replace a civ in V. But if you adopt that stance, then GS had five "new" civs (Canada, Phoenicia, Hungary, Maori, Mali) and only three old civs (Sweden, Ottomans, Inca). Point being, this isn't an expansion pack so we can't exactly expect NFP to follow the expansion pack split. We could very easily see five or six returning civs if this is the last expansion planned, five or six new civs if there are further seasons planned, or more than three female leaders in either case.

Meluhhan, AntSou, Jkchart and 5 others like this.
  13. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

Not to mentoin that considering Macedon as new civ is already debatable as it is questionable to what degree it was actual desire to bring in new civ and to what degree it was a way to give Greece third alt leader without it seeming weird, where Alexander that way is very old and repeated leader even If not above Macedon.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

I would still say it's as new as Phoenicia, which is basically a renamed Carthage.

15. Zaarin

Well, yes, but actually no--insofar as Carthage has always unfortunately been portrayed as a warmongery civ because of the Punic Wars, while calling it Phoenicia allowed them to focus on trade and thalassocracy for once.

Kjimmet, AntSou, Jkchart and 4 others like this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

In that case Greece is new because it's less warmongery now, well at least with Pericles. :p

17. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

i mean, but greece represents the same culture while phoenicia is referring to the overarching culture rather than a specific city state now.

Zaarin likes this.
  18. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

I would say Greece is still the same Greece, until we see a Pericles with a thalassocracy focus rather than hoplite or phalanx every single time.

19. Zaarin

To some degree, though I'm very grateful to finally see a culture-focused Greece instead of the perpetual Alexander the Warmonger civ, which is very unrepresentative of Greek history...

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

I was actually joking. :crazyeye:
    But I was basically saying what Zaarin said above that it's a different playstyle without Alexander leading them for the first time.

DWilson, Kjimmet, Thenewwwguy and 2 others like this.