1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Emperor

And unrelated to Viet hype we experience today?

2. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

What do you mean by "Viet hype" anyways?

Regarding the choice of civs, keeping in mind that civilization slots are subject to scarcity - no doubt it's a mixture of both, historical relevance AND present-day purchasing power. Vietnam already has the former and, as one of the fastest-growing economies in the world, increasingly has the latter. If I'm not mistaken Vietnam even has a growing e-sports scene somewhat similar to Korea's, although oddly enough their game of choice is AoE2, IIRC (and no, this predates the Vietnamese being added as a civ in that game)

3. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Emperor

^ I Only knew this that they're AoEII fans and not SC
    while Thais had changed preferences, our E-Sport choices today are based on MOBA, which the earliest MOBA "DotA" itself based on Warcraft III (Particularly pirated). Before then Half Life - Counterstrike is a preferred choice.

^You guessed it right. look at highlighted praise.

And can you say about Siamese place in the world or this world as 'lacking' or 'lackeys' in the world stage?

4. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

It's the same here. When I was in high school, it was Counterstrike and DotA, and now it's League of Legends, CSGO, and DotA 2.

Dude, from a fellow Southeast Asian...I don't think there's any reason for you to worry. Thailand is the second largest economy in Southeast Asia after the giant Indonesia. (The less said about the politics, the better, but my country isn't any better at that.) :goodjob:

My sig only says "Vietnam and Burma" because they haven't appeared in a Civ game yet. But I wouldn't mind seeing Siam again.

If I may ask, why do you seem to think Vietnam being added is a statement against Siam anyway? Siamese-Vietnamese rivalry only really got going in the 1700s. Prior to that, Siam's archenemy was Burma. If anything, I'd think Burma being added would be more of an issue for Thai. :lol:

5. Vilvatiktan

Vilvatiktan Chieftain

Agree to that, the one who actually blocked Siam being represented would probably be Khmer instead of Vietnam too anyway. It was quite surprising to have both Indonesia and Khmer so early back then in 2016/2017 tho. Perhaps Siam or Burma would be in Civ7 imo, cuz honestly Sukitract's mods are so amazing and it's kinda lame that FXS took Ethiopia and Gaul lmao, pls dont take Siam and Burma too </3

6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I mean that could also be a factor. As someone who lives in the U.S. Vietnam is probably the most well known out of all the SEA nations by the general public. The Vietnam war and the massive influx of Vietnamese immigrants helped with that of course.

I don't think it has anything to do with what you are saying.
    Siam was already in Civ 5 while Khmer was in Civ 4. For some reason they have decided to alternate them and that's all.

That being said it looks like the Siamese will get into the base game of Humankind. Siam was the only SE Asian nation, similar to Ethiopia, who resisted colonization and had rapid industrialization which are definite reasons for inclusion. I don't think it has anything to do with today.

almughavar likes this.
  7. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

Since we're talking about Vietnam, what do you think Vietnam will be based on?
    Spoiler What I think it might be :
    I personally think they could be a Cultural/Defensive based civ do to their history. Defensive part, UA and maybe UU, Cultural part UB (Water Puppet Theater) and maybe UA or LUA

To be fair they let Sukritact design the Palaces of Byzantium and Gaul

8. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

With absolutely no disrespect intended to Sukritact, whose Gaul design was honestly better than Firaxis's, I don't think it's incumbent upon Firaxis to take mods into account in their civ selection.

I agree. We haven't had a culture civ yet in NFP, and Vietnam is a prime choice for that.

9. Alexander's Hetaroi

Especially considering Ethiopia at least looks to become a series regular now.

10. notNamed

notNamed Warlord

Vietnam got addicted to AoE1 about the same time as Korea to SC:BW.
    They kept that going, though it seems that after Microsoft showed for the final time that they refuse to support the AoE1 scene, they might have started migrating to AoE2, I guess?

I'd love to see the relationship between the civilised (kinh) and barbarian (man) portions of the realm represented somewhat as well. Though no idea how you'd work that in.

almughavar likes this.
  11. Starina

Starina Warlord

What about Grand Duchy of Lithuania ? Has this civilization been discussed earlier ?

Cooleatack likes this.
  12. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

They seem unlikely when Poland as represented in Civ6 is really the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

13. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

I have a sort of weird idea of a Lithuania civ. It's kind of like Elanor. Anyways, I think Jadwiga could do both Poland and Lithuania.

14. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I'm quite over the "one leader leading two civs" gimmick. Hope it doesn't return in VII.

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'm pretty sure the only reasonable European civ left that would be plausible at this point is Portugal, at least for NFP.

I do think that Kublai would at least be a good pick if it does happen again, arguably a better choice to represent the concept than Eleanor.

16. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the "one leader leading two civs" to be kinda janky. It looks really weird on the leader selection screen. The same thing goes for the persona packs.

Thenewwwguy and Zaarin like this.
  17. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

I 100% agree, but It would be the only real way to add Lithuania in Civ 6

SirMediocrity likes this.
  18. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Oh I get your point there.

19. Starina

Starina Warlord

But if you take a step back Commonwealth of Poland = Kingdom of Poland + Grand Duchy of Lithuania since 1569
    And even Poland's in game abilities (Jadwiga, Sukiennice, Winged hussars) can only be attributed to the Kingdom of Poland without Commonwealth of Poland. Or i'm wrong?

Why? In my opinion this is a great idea! But the main thing is without fanaticism. I suggested perhaps considering Caesar as an alternative leader of Egypt, but I was corrected in time. I thought: yes, this is a bad idea. You cannot think that a leader can lead ONLY as a conqueror. And Eleanor of Aquitaine and Kublai Khan are probably really not bad choices.

20. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

The "one leader leading two civs" is really an interesting concept, and I would have wished to have seen it more developed... Hopefully (for me, at least, but I know some people might disagree), having Kubilay Khan as a double leader for China and Mongolia could work. Especially if KK's ability is the hidden, not-used-yet ability "Gain a free Eureka and Inspiration once a trade route is finished". It would fit perfectly with the Silk Road historically, and it would work perfectly with both civs: China gets better percentage from Eurekas and Inspirations, and Mongolia gets more bonuses from trade routes. I mean, it screams to be used this way.

Hawke9 and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.