1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

And a New Zealand seller of children's clothing. And a Canadian makeup artist. And a home decor boutique. :p

2. almughavar

almughavar Political commissar

Le Loi didn't win a defensive war though. Le Loi initiated an uprising which ultimately won independence for Vietnam, because at the time Vietnam was already annexed by China's Ming Dynasty. Moreover the Ming Dynasty at the the time was very powerful and had a strong grip on the newly annexed Vietnam (named Dai Ngu before the annexation), many Vietnamese uprisings before Le Loi were crushed, and Le Loi's force itself had to struggle for several years just for survival.

Compared to Vietnamese Tran Dynasty's resistances against Mongol/Yuan Dynasty invasions, Le Loi's uprising was in a much more disadvantageous condition. Moreover compared to Tran Dynasty's kings, Le Loi was also an excellent military leader himself who directly led his troops.

So yeah, Le Loi was easily among the most extraordinary leaders of Vietnam. After all the Ming Dynasty was able to take over China from Yuan Dynasty.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  3. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Prince

Oops, you're right, I forgot about the shortlived Ho Dynasty. Still, I'm glad that Trung Trac is out of the way and if Vietnam makes it, which is still very likely, it will be led by someone who is more prominent. AND I'm actually very surprised that the devs decide to keep all the Vietnamese diacritics in Vietnamese names! I thought the easier choice was to anglicize these names and remove all of those diacritics.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  4. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

im behind but it thankfully appears that neither trung sister will be vietnam’s leader

babylon also got renamed to an elamite city, so it appears that elam is now on firaxis’s radar which is awesome

Le Loi, Ho Chi Minh or Ngo Quyen would be my vietnam choice

5. batusay

batusay Chieftain

Just curious, what were the other DLCs' code names?

And were they ever indicative of the civs contained in them?

6. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

So so far the packs have been geographic: and since we're over halfway through I wouldn't expect that trend to change:

DLC 1 Central/South America: Maya and Gran Colombia
    DLC 2 Africa: Ethiopia
    DLC 3 Europe: Byzantium and Gauls
    DLC 4 West Asia: Babylon
    DLC 5 East Asia: Vietnam and Kublai (?)
    DLC 6 ???

So I'd assume either North America or Oceania for the last remaining civ. RIP Portugal?

I personally don't think there's anything to read into there. Florence, Milan, Bologna have all been City-States, and Italy is highly requested, and we still don't have an Italy. Zanzibar has been a City-State in both games, and Kilwa Kisiwani is a Wonder, but we don't have a Swahili Civilization either. Similarly I don't think that the them having added Muscat AND Zanzibar in Civ 6 indicates we should be expecting the Omani Empire as a civ in the next installment.

We don't even know how much Civ 7 they have planned out yet, or if planning has even started.

Do the other DLC codes actually hint at the civs in the pack? I always felt it was rather.... random.

7. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

I can't find sources to what my portugese friends told me so huge grain of salt but Portugal production of peach was a thing for a while. Now it's much more diverse.

8. sweetbrown89

sweetbrown89 Chieftain

It’s a very strange code. But I would’ve assumed it was related more to DLC 5, since peaches come from near Kunlun & west China, while poppies create opïum I would associate with the Silk Road.

It could be a double meaning code, talking about the Silk Road & companies

9. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

That's in fact better :)

sweetbrown89 likes this.
  10. sweetbrown89

sweetbrown89 Chieftain

I purposely ignored the Italian City-States, because Western culture generally understands the concept of a unified Italy is weird but has little exposure with the Indian subcontinent. We have many City-States from that area (including SEA), and they’re at least treated separately from “India” so I considered Venice to be their answer for a Renaissance Italy and the City-States to account for “Italy”

11. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

While Portugal definitely sticks out as a glaring omission, I will feel somewhat disappointed if the final pack is dedicated to Europe again instead of a region or continent not represented in the pass thus far. North America especially opens for a sorely needed second Native American civ (or perhaps even Haiti as a purely ex-French colonial rep, though I'd rather have another Native American civ first)

12. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Prince

Lol imagine Ho Chi Minh with a unique Infantry unit of his own who is super duper cheap to maintain and can dig trenches and tunnels and invisible in marshes and woods and rainforests, just to bring those 'Nam flashbacks.

Or something like this, a unit with an active ability that allows them to remain permanently invisible and cannot be detected as long as they stay in neutral territories and not adjacent to another civ's border. Deal extra damage when attacking out of invisibility. They cannot and cannot go back into invisibility for 10 turns after receiving damage from a non-Barbarian unit.

13. notNamed

notNamed Warlord

Ancient-Industrial theme: some Vietnamese folk song played on common instruments of the sinosphere.
    Atomic theme: Ho- Ho- Ho- Chi MIN! :xmas:
    Spoiler :

14. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Removing Manila, which after all long predates Spain's arrival in the Philippine Islands, from Spain's city list can be done easily. The harder challenge I see is that the Spanish leader is literally Philip II. Awkward? :lol:

Then again you can literally have Spain and Gran Colombia in the same game now.

Since there is a civ called "Indonesia", but it quite clearly represents precolonial Majapahit with no postcolonial elements, I wonder if they could theoretically put in a civ called "The Philippines", but which only represents pre-Hispanic polities such as Tondo, Cebu, Sulu, etc.

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I see Portugal having more of a chance than Oceania. I don't see us getting anything else from Oceania that isn't already covered by Australia and the Maori.

Anton nicknamed the third pack the "Fall of Rome" pack so I wouldn't rule out a return to Europe if it is Portugal as there wasn't necessarily a strict theme of them both being European. Then again one could argue that Portugal and all of it's territories is global and not strictly European. :mischief:
    Other than the fact that Italy is unified today? I mean technically there is also Bologna which does mean that a hypothetical "Italy" civ is represented by two city-states which unfortunately makes it feel unlikely for Civ 6 at least. But there is high enough demand for a unified Italy civ in the future.

The only city-state that could technically be part of India would be Nalanda, but even then it can be an appropriate city-state as part of the Pala Empire which the core era is located where present-day Bangladesh is.
    Kandy, Lahore, Mohenjo Daro and Ayutthaya are out of the sphere of being under India.

16. goatdeer

goatdeer Chieftain

Could we expect any more diplomatic victory focused civs? I doubt it but I'd love to play diplomatic victory with a new leader who offers the possibility to a different strategy

17. almughavar

almughavar Political commissar

Since Civs in NFP only require vanilla Civ 6 to play and Diplomatic victory was only added in GS, I think those Civs were designed without Diplomatic Victory in mind.

18. Vilvatiktan

Vilvatiktan Chieftain

They seriously need to deblob civs like Indonesia and India in the next iteration of the game..

19. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

and Korea... right now Korea is just a weird fusion of Silla and Chosen.

20. Vilvatiktan

Vilvatiktan Chieftain

Oh and Arabia!
    There's no such thing as one single Arabia ever in history or in the modern times :undecide:

Thenewwwguy likes this.