[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I'd go with a Council Hall, yeah. Maybe make it a unique T1 Government Plaza building like Kristina's Bibliotheque.

2. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

would their leader be Leslie Knope?

mitsho likes this.
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

4. Jeppetto

Jeppetto King

Tbh what the wikipedia article says sounds even more cool than her name.
    And it's good tactics too. What kind of warrior would have the courage to hit granny, now that's just rude, she's invincible.

5. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

I'd pay for an American Indian civ DLC

Kjimmet, ferretbacon, j0tak and 7 others like this.
  6. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Me too.

7. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

I can completely understand that, I'm more or less just arguing that the pueblito should be a viable option worth considering so I fully accept the hogan as the more preferential choice for many. The Inca did somewhat shake things up (pun intended) with the number of unique infrastructures they had so hopefully that can start a trend for each civ to have more uniques in the future! I also learned more about the origins of golf in Scotland thanks to Civ 6! The hockey rink wasn't my 1st choice for Canada either but apparently some Canadians wanted even more of them than what we got!

For what it's worth, I recall some ideas that involved their yehakins being made into a neighborhood district. Just listing ideas though and I agree that the Council Hall is probably the way to go.

Me three! While I'm grateful that we got the Cree and Mapuche (plus some city-states like Cahokia) beyond the eternal Aztec, Inca, and Maya, it still just doesn't feel like enough.

8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Well it was the Maori that was introduced with two infrastructure first. :p

I'm one of the few people that really didn't mind the Hockey Rink for Canada. After what we got with Scotland I pretty much knew that the Mountie and Hockey Rink were guaranteed to get in as the uniques so I wasn't necessarily disappointed. :lol:

9. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Recently I read an interesting article about the Mississippians, the vanished culture who built Cahokia. One of the postulated reasons for their disappearance was the effects of environmental degradation - in other words they chopped too many woods. This is refuted on the grounds that this was not the way of pre-Columbian cultures; it is a Western European thing to chop everything. Pre-Columbian cultures had a proper respect for Nature. So it's appropriate that Cahokia is a CS rather than the Mississippians as a civ, complete with Magnus and an ethos of chopping your way through the eras.

10. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Warlord

Shephard Krech, in The Ecological Indian, takes on these arguments, looking at indigenous approaches to nature. There are other books, too, in colonial and postcolonial theory. In the Americas, the indigenous societies, also, are diverse - there's no one blob (to use a term here) that you can put all pre-Columbian or indigenous cultures into, and bear in mind that the Mississippians are co-extant with the European middle ages. We could never represent them outside of a CS owing to the need to have a leader and a language (there's discussion elsewhere on these forums re: having Caddo represent the Mississippians, which is probably a good historical guess).

What's distinctively Western and colonialist is the Lockean idea of land and property. That is to say, this argument:

The land is given to all mankind by God, so that mankind may prosper.
    But if you are not plowing the land, cutting the trees, you are not really improving the land.
    Therefore you are squandering God's gift. You're not really using the land in its best value.
    Therefore you should give your land to people who will REALLY use it.

THAT kind of philosophy, either the more explicitly religious version ("this land is given to us by God") or the secular version (e.g. manifest destiny) is where a real split between indigenous Australians and Americans on one side and European settler-colonialists on the other comes in. So it's not to paint a romantic/Orientalist picture of the indigenous person "at one with nature" versus the wicked colonialist, but it's to see how the English, Lockean philosophy of landscape and technology in the 1700s was a particular kind of gasoline powering the dispossession of indigenous people and the clear-cutting of the New World.

We're still stuck with these ideas, too. Look at calls to "improve" property (or else have it repossessed), to make everything more productive. Optimized for outcome (defined in a limited way by the colonizer). Dare I say it - to increase yields.

11. Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit Chieftain

If there’s another season pass, I’d still love to see a Renaissance Italy Civ.

You’d have to think it might make the cut since they are in “give the people what they want” mode these days.

Meluhhan and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  12. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

There are a number of civs I would like to see in VI still, but I'd be satisfied with the game if they merely did one more DLC before calling it quits that included another North American indigenous people.

I just feel like the Cree alone aren't adequate for the area and its varied cultures.

13. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

Seconded. An expansion pack focussing on north america (and africa) would be make me very happy even though it's one of the least likely things for the devs to go for.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I would be surprised if there was more new civs and we didn’t get any from North America or Africa, specifically North Africa.

15. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Yes! Besides another North American native culture, Morocco is my other top desire.

16. Haig

Haig Deity

I Wonder what kind uniques and abilities Morocco would have.

Arabia already has the faith+science hybridi, Mali has desert trade routes.

Would be cool to have Morocco though.

Birch617 likes this.
  17. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

Agreed, I guess I was unclear that I meant some sort of DLC exclusively focussing on underrepresented regions.

18. Birch617

Birch617 Warlord

My ideal Morocco is cultural and builder with some heavy desert starting bias and maybe a Riad as an unique improvement that makes thrive on desert with foo yields and then getting tourism from it later in game.

Haig likes this.
  19. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

Mali is a trade/religious desert civ. Morocco can be a builder/cultural/defensive desert civ. I'm sure they can make Mali and Morocco different enough.

20. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Indigenous Peoples of the Americas and Oceania Season Pass

Pack 1: Tlingit and Navajo
    Pack 2: Haudenosaunee
    Pack 3: Guarani and Muisca
    Pack 4: Miskito
    Pack 5: Hawaii and Hongi Hika as alt. leader for Maori
    Pack 6: Purépecha