CNN Settles Sandmann Defamation Suit

abradley

Deity
According to this Canadian Lawyer, we know it's been settled but nothing else.

I don't like Trump supporters or Catholics but the way the media circle jerked over the situation was reprehensible & I'm glad they got sued and lost.

Hadn't heard of the case, but doesn't surprise me at all considering how the US mainstream media deals with claims of racism nowadays. Which is, make a public accusation and destroy someone's reputation first, check facts later (or more likely, never).

CNN is very much part of this new puritan crusade and a driving force of today's moral panic.

Wearing a Maga hat is synonymous with racism, sorry that you had to hear it from me
Pff the kid is a high schooler from Kentucky. His politics are just his parents politics. He learned from the crib that liberals are stupid and one has to vote Republican to be a proper patriotic American. He will get to rethink his politics once he grows up. There is no reason to believe he is racist. Most American conservatives are actually perfectly nice people who treat everyone with respect. I say this as a Latin American who lived in Texas for many years and traveled and worked extensively in the Deep South.

Pff the kid is a high schooler from Kentucky. His politics are just his parents politics. He learned from the crib that liberals are stupid and one has to vote Republican to be a proper patriotic American. He will get to rethink his politics once he grows up. There is no reason to believe he is racist. Most American conservatives are actually perfectly nice people who treat everyone with respect. I say this as a Latin American who lived in Texas for many years and traveled and worked extensively in the Deep South.

Optimistically, yes. Realistically I'd say it's more or less a coin flip, especially when you are highlighted like this kid was, it could drive them to double down on it.

Optimistically, yes. Realistically I'd say it's more or less a coin flip, especially when you are highlighted like this kid was, it could drive them to double down on it.
Yes there is no guarantee he will change his politics, but I know many Southerners who became much more liberal after college (or just growing up), specially when they went to some other region.

But you are right that being labeled as a racist provocator by the country's leading liberal outlet and probably receiving all kinds of abuse and death threats as a result could make him double down on Trumpism.

Don't lie to me boy

I don't know what the actual numbers are like, but specifically for kids like this they are just marinated in the culture their whole lives and might not even see how what they are doing is harmful. Very sheltered, very privileged. Lots of the demographic here, young conservatives, probably grew up in a town that's 98% white and don't know any gay people. They might know one or two, and they don't have a problem with it, because those one or two gay people are also conservative (or they'd have left the area) and/or internalizing homophobia to fit in with the culture around them. They have absolutely no idea of the struggles facing minorities because there aren't any where they live, and if they don't encounter it in their personal lives, then it obviously doesn't exist (you see this train of thought all the time among conservatives, I'm sure you've noticed the empathy gap).

At the risk of sounding like Patine here, not everyone is your enemy, specifically, even if they act like it. Some of them just don't know any better. They never had good role models, or not good enough ones. It's a case of malicious ignorance more than malicious intent. I don't know, that's just my experience growing up in a town exactly like I described.

If they make it past 30, 35 and they're still this conservative then they probably won't change, but I don't think you can write them off until then. And obviously if they personally target you or your demographic, then I'm not asking you to give them a chance. Just their demographic.

I don't know what the actual numbers are like, but specifically for kids like this they are just marinated in the culture their whole lives and might not even see how what they are doing is harmful. Very sheltered, very privileged. Lots of the demographic here, young conservatives, probably grew up in a town that's 98% white and don't know any gay people. They might know one or two, and they don't have a problem with it, because those one or two gay people are also conservative (or they'd have left the area) and/or internalizing homophobia to fit in with the culture around them. They have absolutely no idea of the struggles facing minorities because there aren't any where they live, and if they don't encounter it in their personal lives, then it obviously doesn't exist (you see this train of thought all the time among conservatives, I'm sure you've noticed the empathy gap).

At the risk of sounding like Patine here, not everyone is your enemy, specifically, even if they act like it. Some of them just don't know any better. They never had good role models, or not good enough ones. It's a case of malicious ignorance more than malicious intent. I don't know, that's just my experience growing up in a town exactly like I described.

If they make it past 30, 35 and they're still this conservative then they probably won't change, but I don't think you can write them off until then. And obviously if they personally target you or your demographic, then I'm not asking you to give them a chance. Just their demographic.
Exactly. My only addition is that some times they're not even privileged. I've worked with many poor Cajuns in Louisiana, and they're all deeply Republican despite their lack of affluence. It's just part of their culture at this point, part of their identity. Of course kids raised there will reflect this. But many who go work or study somewhere else moderate their beliefs quite a lot.

I respect your opinion Cardgame, even if I do disagree.

I don't have a clear cut answer here, I live amongst these type of conservatives and I've yet to be treated with anything other than open derision and as a punchline to that one attack helicopter joke they all seem to have.

I want these people to change but I'm genuinely afraid for my own safety and I don't know if I can risk reaching out to them; plenty of transpeople have been rejected by so called liberals and progressives so at best I'm extremely pessimistic about my chances of affecting any change.

I don't know if it's fair, tenable or sustainable to expect people from disadvantaged communities to reach out to conservative youth, when there is a clear opportunity for danger and rejection.

Any sort of empathy today risks getting labelled as being "sjwism" or "snowflakery".

I'll wait for corroboration from CNN

oh yeah, they did and got sued lol

Nothing you've just said changes the fact that for many communities, the magahat is synonymous with racism and bigotry.

I couldn't give a horsehocky if they got sued or not so your deflection is useless.

Exactly. My only addition is that some times they're not even privileged. I've worked with many poor Cajuns in Louisiana, and they're all deeply Republican despite their lack of affluence. It's just part of their culture at this point, part of their identity. Of course kids raised there will reflect this. But many who go work or study somewhere else moderate their beliefs quite a lot.

I suppose I meant privileged not exclusively wealth privileged but socially privileged

Well, when the quantitative let you down on a term, the only thing left to do is shift to qualitative.

Top Bottom