1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

It might have been moved to that little menu that pops up when you click the arrow in the tray.... in which case you can just drag and drop it back where you want it.

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Exploring the sound options in the control button panel should solve it. Find the 'display notifications AND always present in bottom right corner' or similar option and make sure it's ticked.

3. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Are there any security software for PC laptops where the security software will use the built-in webcam to snap a picture of the thief and send it to law enforcement or something?

4. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Ever since yesterday my laptop has been shutting itself down frequently. Core temp (a program that monitors the temperature of the cores) is reporting enormous spikes in the temperature of one of the cores. What would cause this? I'm thinking one of the fans has stopped working, but what are some other possibilites I should consider before opening the thing up for a looksie?

5. Samson

Samson Deity

I suspect with numbers that high and the machine still working it is a fault with the temperature sensors.

6. salty mud

salty mud Deity

If it were really that temperature you'd probably feel it from across the room.

7. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Something's out of whack with the temperature sensors. My old computer was like that too.

If it were really that hot your laptop would either be melted or set your house on fire. Or both.

Question myself: As long as youre careful not to get any thread caught up in the parts, is it okay to use Q-Tips to clean out a computer fan? I find it reaches places where compressed air cant too well.

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Hey guys,

I just got a new computer here at work. It has an Intel DQ67SW motherboard as well as a GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card

The video card has 2 display outputs; there's onboard video too. How do I set up this beast to run on 3 monitors? The IT guy setting up my machine said he wasn't having any luck, but shouldn't it be as easy as hooking up 1 of the monitors to the onboard video and 2 to the video card? What am I missing?

9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Look in the device manager. The video card drivers probably disable the onboard video.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't even see onboard video there anywhere.. but I've been told that you can never (ever) run multiple displays using more than 1 video card - unless they're hooked up via SLI.. but then I've heard that SLI makes it so that you can do 2.. so I'm kind of lost as far as making this work goes

Mind you I haven't even tried plugging the third monitor into the onboard video, but.. the IT guy claims he's tried it and it "didn't work"

11. Cutlass

To run more than one video card, as I understand it, you need 2 cards that are designed to work together.

12. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I heard that it's better to play it safe and use the same model to SLI/Crossfire it.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I was just told to enable onboard video on the motherboard as the primary display in bios.. and that it should work after that.

We'll see tomorrow!

14. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Does watching a video online such as on youtube utilize the GPU or is it just the CPU?

15. salty mud

salty mud Deity

The very act of having your monitor on uses the GPU, so I'd say it does.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Depends if the videos are using hardware acceleration.

17. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Anyway to force hardware acceleration?

18. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

You can play Youtube videos with real video players such as SMPlayer or VLC fairly easily by 'feeding' them the link to the video you want to watch. E.g. a link such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBcdeF1234, either via the clipboard or drag and drop.

19. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Can anyone please tell me what this means?

It's still there today. Running OSX Lion 10.7

20. Cutlass

Your calendar is confused....