1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Throwing Last minute-ints

Perfect. Thank you!

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

3. caketastydelish

new dilemma: I am having MAJOR carpal tunnel syndrome on my left wrist. Can only type with right hand. I want to be a writer as a career. I have been writing hours a day for the past month, it has finally caught up to me. What is the best speech to text software I can buy? Must work with Windows 10 and Microsoft Word.

4. Vincour

Vincour Chieftain

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is probably the best consumer software you can get.

5. caketastydelish

Are vou sure? It seems to have bad reviews.

6. Vincour

Vincour Chieftain

Nope. I'm lying to you for a laugh.

(Yes, I'm sure.)

Any dictation software is going to get bad reviews because people with accents expect the software to understand them. You can "train" the software to learn your accent if that's a worry you might have. For example, some atrophy in my vocal chords has made it nigh-impossible for me to properly pronounce the -ing suffix without stopping my speech and making a point of finishing the "g". If I were to use D-NS, I could train the software to write the words down with their full suffix without any stumbling or over-correction on the software's part.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

8. cardgame

cardgame Opposed to the typical

DNS was absolutely freaking terrible when I tried it in 2009-10. However speech recognition has a come a long way since then. Google Now is freaking amazing so if DNS should be of comparable quality if they are indeed a serious company.

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I would expect all of MS/Google/Amazon/Apple to have better speech to text than any other company based on their machine learning resources, and volume of speech they have to work with. (Speech input is only useful for training the system if it's all uploaded.)

AFAIK none of them make standalone speech to text products though, so comparisons to DNS (or whoever else) aren't particularly relevant.

10. caketastydelish

New problem (sorry for having so many):

I am trying to transfer from icloud (apple) to gmail. I have already made the gmail. I have already manually changed my various online accounts and subscriptions from my old icloud to the new gmail (this took forever). Now only one step left. I want to transfer all my old emails from the icloud to the new gmail. I also made a bunch of folders, neatly categorizing my emails. I want all those folders and all the emails within them copied as well. I looked online on how to do it and this is the best I could find. But the instructions are far more complex than what I can even understand. And surely there is an easier way?

11. infergnome

infergnome Chieftain

Forgot login password of Windows 10 laptop? is there a way to reset the password without reinstallation? P.S Fine a simple way to do that with UUkeys Windows Password Mate. Thanks to Google.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  12. Michkov

Michkov Chieftain

Google has pages of result with that very question.

13. caketastydelish

Trying to upload pictures to linkedin and it keeps cropping them automatically. I cropped the pictures myself in photobucket to only get the necessary parts, then I shrinked the image down a lot, and it continues to crop it like I never even altered it.

14. caketastydelish

I accidently deleted my bookmarks from google chrome. But they still exist in my chrome browser on my iPhone. How do I get it back on my computer?