Conservatives: Why do you support Bush?

nonconformist said:
I thought Hoover ordered the Army into Washington DC to chuck those ex-soldiers out?

I don't think that qualifies as using military force against an enemy... but, if it does, Coolidge was the last coward in office ;)

Conservative Presidents tend to support higher levels of defense spending, and in recent years have been more willing to use higher levels of force.

Meanwhile, NEITHER party has advocated isolationism as a campaign platform. Both sides say we should stay involved in world affairs; those who say we should drop out of the UN and such are a small minority.

For now, American isolationism is toast.

Mr. Do said:
But you've said he could do pretty much anything without your support for him wavering. All the times we've had articles posted about torture, or Americans losing their rights... none of that matters. You're honest, at least.
There are allegations of torture, and a very few U.S. soldiers convicted in court.

The deal about Americans losing their rights is simply not true. The fact that Americans are arguing that question and not being arrested is proof. People carry bumper stickers on their cars calling Bush a war criminal.

The rights of millions in Afghanistan and Iraq are a lot more important than the rights of 600 in Guantanamo Bay. Excuse me all to hell if I'm willing to put up with a small problem to solve a larger one. For an example that's the other way around, consider that a gun-control advocate is willing to scrap Americans' rights in order to fulfil his agenda. Same thing. Loss of one right in order to protect another.

BasketCase said:
Meanwhile, NEITHER party has advocated isolationism as a campaign platform. Both sides say we should stay involved in world affairs; those who say we should drop out of the UN and such are a small minority.

For now, American isolationism is toast.
So is America. And so is American ideals.

As you said all the members of the Democratic/Republican party support imperialist warmongering which would have outraged any sane American who sought to actually conserve our values just some decades ago.

Basket, lets fast forward ten years and look at a hypothetical (and in my opinion likely)scenario: due to the post war policies (or lack of them) of the Bush administration, both Afghanistan and Iraq are Somali like stateless regions, dominated by terrorist organizations and warlords.

Do you think you'd still be such an ardent supporter of Bush if that were to come to pass?

Forget it, Bozo. I'm not gonna bite. :)

Uhhh.....

"Forget it, Bozo....."

That sounded bad, didn't it? :) (No, I wasn't calling Bozo a bozo....)

Anyway--there is a risk that Afghanistan, Iraq, or both will disintegrate in the next ten years. To take the risk of that was better than to tolerate a situation i.e. a dictatorship) which was guaranteed to suck. Five years ago we couldn't see what the results of our actions would be. And as Spock once put it: "a logical course of action, once undertaken, remains logical".

Sorry, but you simply stand no chance of extracting a "no" answer from me. :p

Inqvisitor said:
As you said all the members of the Democratic/Republican party support imperialist warmongering
No I didn't. As I said, both parties
BasketCase said:
say we should stay involved in world affairs; those who say we should drop out of the UN and such are a small minority.
Don't go scrambling my words around.

BasketCase said:
Forget it, Bozo. I'm not gonna bite. :)

Uhhh.....

"Forget it, Bozo....."

That sounded bad, didn't it? :) (No, I wasn't calling Bozo a bozo....)

Anyway--there is a risk that Afghanistan, Iraq, or both will disintegrate in the next ten years. To take the risk of that was better than to tolerate a situation i.e. a dictatorship) which was guaranteed to suck. Five years ago we couldn't see what the results of our actions would be. And as Spock once put it: "a logical course of action, once undertaken, remains logical".

Sorry, but you simply stand no chance of extracting a "no" answer from me. :p
Theres a right way and wrong way to do just about anything. In the view of most of the world, and undoubtedly the view of posterity, Bush did the right things in Afghanistan and Iraq in the absolute worst ways. You seem to be stuck on the idea that Bush posseses infallibility.

BasketCase said:
There are allegations of torture, and a very few U.S. soldiers convicted in court.

The deal about Americans losing their rights is simply not true. The fact that Americans are arguing that question and not being arrested is proof. People carry bumper stickers on their cars calling Bush a war criminal.

The rights of millions in Afghanistan and Iraq are a lot more important than the rights of 600 in Guantanamo Bay. Excuse me all to hell if I'm willing to put up with a small problem to solve a larger one. For an example that's the other way around, consider that a gun-control advocate is willing to scrap Americans' rights in order to fulfil his agenda. Same thing. Loss of one right in order to protect another.

Okay, that is fair enough, you don't need to justify your beliefs to me. I just trust that you are able to be critical of Bush despite remaining loyal to him.

Why do I support Bush? Well, mostly I don't. I do support his stance on things like Abortion and Middle-Class Tax Breaks. Even though Iraq isn't the dumbest move ever made by a president, I don't understand why it is taking so long to "set it up".

Loyalty is the wrong word--I didn't vote for him in either election. :)

No, Bush isn't infallible. But the current environment out in the world at large has become poisoned. It appears to me that the anti-Bush folks are going out of their way to dig up dirt, and if you look hard enough you can find it anywhere, even if it's not real.

Anyway, Bozo: aside from Iraq, I haven't been paying much attention to Bush Jr.'s politics. When considering your question about things Bush Jr. has done wrong, I mostly came up with maybes. Maybe he didn't send in enough troops when he invaded Iraq (which is kind of a "fake" bad thing, because it is a way of saying he made a mistake in the process of doing a good thing--sort of distorts Bozo's question), maybe the whole Patriot Act thing should have been scrapped. But hey, I'm not federal intel--I'm software development. :)

In the end, IMO, Bush's mistakes are minor compared to his two biggest successes.

BasketCase said:
Anyway, Bozo: aside from Iraq, I haven't been paying much attention to Bush Jr.'s politics.

You still haven't addressed the biggest hypocrisy of the entire Bush regime. For all his love of using military force as you have stated repeatedly, why is he not defending America's own physical borders from invasion, and instead advocating surrender? What kind of great military leader sends his armies around the world when his home country is being invaded?

Inqvisitor said:
You still haven't addressed the biggest hypocrisy of the entire Bush regime. For all his love of using military force as you have stated repeatedly, why is he not defending America's own physical borders from invasion, and instead advocating surrender? What kind of great military leader sends his armies around the world when his home country is being invaded?

WTF are you talking about? Who is invading? Canada? :lol:

They've even made a Mexican the WWE World Champion... whatever next!!!

Bush is not conservative. Hes neo-conservative. Theres a big difference.

Bush is pretty much the opposite of conservative. Hes a heavy spender for one thing which is not a conservative trait.

Fox Mccloud said:
I agree. We really should be doing something about that.
Like granting them "guest worker" amnesty so they can stay here and begin to carve out their own country? Do George Bush "conservatives" enjoy the cheap labour as much as he himself does?

Top Bottom