Conservatives: Why do you support Bush?

Bozo Erectus said:
Basket, could you list for me some of the mistakes you feel Bush has made?
Bleh. Just realized I got stuck in "Iraq" mode when rolling this one around in my head.

Religion and abortion are a couple things I disagree with Bush Jr. on. I'm not really pro-choice--I'm more on the fence, with a good deal of waffling in both directions. But I'm not pro-life either.

Phlegmak said:
And he's creating another here at home! Hee hee.
You get a :rolleyes: from me also. :D

So George Bush is socially liberal and economically and diplomatically neocon.
Is the Iraq war the sole litmus test for "conservative" support of the Bush regime? Bush's domestic policies have been some of the most liberal and destructive in history.

Ending the recession.
Stopping terrorism.
Re-strengthening the military
No Child Left Behind.
Liberated two countries, possibly more to come.
Increased number of jobs
Cares about business
Cares about the little people
Doesn't let his religious believes govern his policies.
Went to Harvard:D/Yale

Did all that without raising taxes. We actually got couple of thousand back. :D

Disagree with ya about that first one, Red. In my opinion, presidents have next to no control over the economy. You can't really control the buying and selling performed by 300 million people without using police-state tactics.

Presidents have a strong tendency to get re-elected--or booted out--based on the economy. If presidents could control the economy, they would do so in order to get re-elected. But they don't. Which suggests that maybe they can't.

To me it all boils down to what the alternative is. If Bush were to be allowed to run again, maybe I would look for an alternative. Since he cannot, what gain is there for me? Bush's opposition has values and philosphies diameterically opposed to me. Why would I give these views my support?

Red Stranger said:
Ending the recession.
Debatable.

Stopping terrorism.
Stopping terrorism?:confused: More like starting terrorism.

Yes, by providing soldiers with not even a bulletproof vest and with vehicles that have no brakes, among other such strong military provisions...:rolleyes:

No Child Left Behind.
A communistic federal education system is counted as a good thing?

Destabilized two sovereign nations, possibly more to come. No doubt they will now be imperialistic puppet regimes.

Increased number of jobs
...For illegal aliens.

Cares about business
The former contradicts the latter there.

Actually his Zionist beliefs have influenced quite a few of his policies.

And Skull and Bones...

We actually got a couple of thousand back in body bags...

No comment.

Seriously, I realy dont have any care about the president (My stance is neutral right now)

Bold by Red Stranger
The problem isn't what he tried to do. It's how he went about doing it.

Re-strengthening the military Agree generally.

Ending the recession. Slowest recovery from a recession ever in US history.

Stopping terrorism. And created more terrorists than before 9/11.

Liberated two countries, possibly more to come. From projecting a year to 2 occupation, now predicts the occupation in Iraq will last the rest of his second term. Afghanistan was a good job though.

Increased number of jobs The population was increasing. Jobs would increase.

Cares about business You mean many of his administration and policies are bought out by businesses. Great :rolleyes:

Cares about the little people What do you mean by little people? Only president to NEVER have given a speech for the NAACP. His tax cuts were for the top wealthy people in the country. He has worked for Hispanics though.

Doesn't let his religious believes govern his policies. :lol:

Went to Harvard:D/Yale So did Kerry. How is this a positive?

Did all that without raising taxes. We actually got couple of thousand back. Great. Tax cuts while ballooning the national debt like never before.

No Child Left Behind. Which has made things worse. Schools are encouraging students to drop out but classify them to be transfers to other schools. They do this to inflate their numbers or else they lose money. One of the advantages of the US system was actually trying to teach, versus like in India which is all about big exams.

spankey said:
To me it all boils down to what the alternative is. If Bush were to be allowed to run again, maybe I would look for an alternative. Since he cannot, what gain is there for me? Bush's opposition has values and philosphies diameterically opposed to me. Why would I give these views my support?
It has nothing to do with supporting the opposition. Why don't you support candiates or politicians that you agree with? Maybe other Republicans, conservatives or libertarians? Or at least why don't people, regardless of party, speak up when they disagree with someone?

It's worse when those in the same party don't speak up. Whites not speaking out against the KKK. Well off blacks staying quiet during Civil Rights. Muslims not speaking out against Islamic Radicals. Democrats belittling Clinton perjurying and cheating on his Wife. Republicans accepting anything Bush does. How does progress occur?

Red Stranger said:
Ending the recession.
Stopping terrorism.
No Child Left Behind.
Increased number of jobs
Cares about business

How old are you?

BasketCase said:
Disagree with ya about that first one, Red. In my opinion, presidents have next to no control over the economy. You can't really control the buying and selling performed by 300 million people without using police-state tactics.

Presidents have a strong tendency to get re-elected--or booted out--based on the economy. If presidents could control the economy, they would do so in order to get re-elected. But they don't. Which suggests that maybe they can't.

Presidents do take credit for a good bad economy.
For example the MASSIVE deficet. Which ever way you comapre even via percentage. Bush is currently the Biggest spending president ever in American History. (previously Reagon)

Of course the american exonomy is in good shape given all things. High oil, katrina, war on terror etc. But it seems highly artificule due to the massive deficet spending.

Currenlty 8% of US beuget is sued to service the interest repayments only.
So the curent debt isnt so bad yet.

Red Stranger said:

Indeed though someone will have to pay of them sooner or later.
(US owes 30,000 in debt for every person)

Red Stranger said:

Bush is dumb as a pile of bricks. He got in because his father is in the alumni.

He doesn't need to be "so smart" to say/claim/realize Bush isn't the smartest president you guys have ever had...

As an aside, I don't think he is dumb: apart from his "mis-wording", which could easily be a disease, I think he's playing Joe Schmoe in order to connect with the everyday voter. A good strategy, but the drawback of having people think you're just some ordinary guy is that they will also think you're as dumb as a pile of bricks.

Fox Mccloud said:
If your so smart, I guess you have a reason more than your hatred of Bush to back that statement up?

Because he's listened to Bush speak? He recommends people for positions because those people are long time friends of his (Harriet Miers)? He retains people who are clearly screw ups (Rumsfeld, Chertoff)? He lies in the most obvious manner (claiming that Iraq is related to al-Qaeda and then 3 years later, claiming he never said that)?

By the way, what could someone say to back up his opinion that Bush is dumb? I suppose you have something to back up your opinion that Bush isn't dumb? And if you did, what would that be?

Top Bottom