Conversations: Who's here, Who's not.

I would prefer mansplaining to not telling me something at all. While I hate the term, I can see why it can get a little irritating to be told stuff only a woman would have any in depth knowledge of. I do get a little exasperated with it at times.

But something that I really enjoy is hearing the perspectives of others on almost any subject, so I guess I'm not that sensitive about it. I know that pisses some people off, but hey, what can you do?

Question...would I be out of line recounting to the best of my ability experiences that my sister has recounted to me? I mean, I can't claim to have had direct personal experience of gender inequalities in the workplace in any detrimental fashion, but I've certainly been thoroughly briefed on the subject by someone who was legitimately on the wild frontiers.

For the record, when my sister started working as an engineer at a government weapons research facility she was in fact the first female engineer on a staff of over six hundred engineers. When I recount her experiences, even second hand, I am genuinely proud to be her brother.

Question...would I be out of line recounting to the best of my ability experiences that my sister has recounted to me? I mean, I can't claim to have had direct personal experience of gender inequalities in the workplace in any detrimental fashion, but I've certainly been thoroughly briefed on the subject by someone who was legitimately on the wild frontiers.

For the record, when my sister started working as an engineer at a government weapons research facility she was in fact the first female engineer on a staff of over six hundred engineers. When I recount her experiences, even second hand, I am genuinely proud to be her brother.
I don't think it's out of line. You are relating facts as you were told them. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Now if you just pulled those facts and experiences out of your butt, I would say that there might be a problem. There is certainly nothing wrong with saying "My sister related her experiences to me and..."

I know you got jumped on for it, and I don't think it was particularly fair that you were. There is a difference between giving anecdotal evidence and "mansplaining" (Ugh! There's that word again. I hate it. It's such a cop-out in an argument. It's like saying "whatever" to everything a person says.)

Well, there has to be a socially acceptable word for dressing up, "Why would the opinion of pigs be relevant?"

I would prefer mansplaining to not telling me something at all. While I hate the term, I can see why it can get a little irritating to be told stuff only a woman would have any in depth knowledge of. I do get a little exasperated with it at times.

But something that I really enjoy is hearing the perspectives of others on almost any subject, so I guess I'm not that sensitive about it. I know that pisses some people off, but hey, what can you do?

Luckily for me I've never heard *the word* before. First time I've encountered it was here on CFC. For some reason it cannot even be properly translated into Polish - we've no equivalent word for it. It is a heartening thing to hear that You're not predisposed and open-minded person :thumbsup:

Luckily for me I've never heard *the word* before. First time I've encountered it was here on CFC. For some reason it cannot even be properly translated into Polish - we've no equivalent word for it. It is a heartening thing to hear that You're not predisposed and open-minded person :thumbsup:

Recently made up words seldom translate easily.

I've decided to keep the current 'broken image' avatar for the time being, just because I find it kind of funny. :smug:

Unsettling?

For some reason I thought it meant you were quitting the forum or something when I saw it. Can't speak for @amadeus tho

I think I changed it after getting a little overwhelmed with all the COVID-19 stuff. I'm trying to stay out of that thread now because it just makes me worry too much.

I think I changed it after getting a little overwhelmed with all the COVID-19 stuff. I'm trying to stay out of that thread now because it just makes me worry too much.
Are you following my advice? I'm following it myself.

What advice was that again

Play more video games. Not tongue in cheek.

Really? I like them.

For anyone who might be wondering about Kyriakos, I heard from him a couple of days ago. He says he's okay.

Was there anyone worried he wasn't? He made the reason for his departure pretty clear.

Was there anyone worried he wasn't? He made the reason for his departure pretty clear.
I'm not talking about his reason for leaving the forum. But I have seen the odd comment here and there, wondering, so I thought I'd share that he's okay and so far not sick with COVID. I thought some people might consider that to be good news.

Since he and I have been on good terms for many years, I know that I was worried (the news out of Greece wasn't good awhile back regarding the virus).

So please don't assume your views of specific people are shared by everyone. Do excuse me for being concerned about a friend, and to hell with forum politics for once. Wouldn't you prefer the reason someone never comes back is because they decided not to, and not because they got sick and died? :huh:

I've seen too much of the latter over the years including someone who didn't come back because they committed suicide, and there were even a couple of people on TrekBBS who got concerned about me when I didn't show up there for about 3 weeks.

Top Bottom