Converted Units from EE2

Yeah we did. There are no meshes for sails anywhere, so we just created ones from scratch. Judging from screenshots, sometimes they came out nicer than the original ones. :D

I'm sort of seeing why you left these later ones alone. One sail down - nine to go :lol:

At least it works. A couple of questions:
1) You see how my rigging is all messed up. I think this is a consequence of using NifSkope to get a dds out of the texcache file. Presumably it doesn't handle alpha well or something. How did you handle the texcache yourself?
2) Do you have any tricks for reducing polycount? I got this down to around 1900 by handcutting some elements and using remove double on most of the model in Blender.

1) I usually just went over the texture, and especially the alpha, via Photoshop after I got the unit up and running. If you check our units, you'll see that rigging, where it's present, is also far from perfect - but in all cases, alphas have been redone by hand.

2) There isn't much one can do with polycount except for chopping off some model parts in Blender (which actually IS the way to go sometimes with overly detailed models). Oh, one thing I can recommend: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Nif_Optimization

I've even integrated it into my right-click menu as a file command. One thing: always back up the file you process. In about 30% cases it will be irrevokably corrupted in process.

Not only you, my friend. :D

Actually, "exotic" ships are among the first things I usually "target" when converting stuff from games. Unfortunately, most game designers put very little fantasy into ship design.

BTW, will we see more of your excellents unit tune-ups recently? I've converted a fair number of Blitzkrieg units that could use shaders, gloss and stuff.

I've even integrated it into my right-click menu as a file command. One thing: always back up the file you process. In about 30% cases it will be irrevokably corrupted in process.

Just how do you do that? What OS are you runing?

Still need the answer to number 1.
How do you integrate something into your right click meny?
I have been trying to find the answer for ages...

Thanks a milion. PS. Great work on the units.

Top Bottom