Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that you didn't announce SVN 967 it's likely that it's a total work-in-progress but the religious spread mechanic is very broken. Every city in Europe by the Portuguese spawn is Catholic-Orthodox-Muslim.
Oh sorry, I didn't intend to commit it that way. I thought I had the DLL reverted to the original code.

Because of the trade route requirements, one can't trade techs at the negotiating table. Was this intended? It makes classical era wars pretty difficult to end.

I had encountered with it many times in my Persia game (finally did it!) and I must say I like it a lot. Makes it even more important to maintain the safe trade routes.

Yes, but wars are still a pretty good argument. Wars automatically disrupt trade connections, but I think techs should still be part of peace negotiations.

Rome seems to be collapsing a bit early in my games- around turn 150 or so. Has anybody else noticed this, or is that just because of what I've done in my games?

So what's up with 967? Do we update SVN or not just yet?

It was not intended to be committed, from what I've gathered.

It was intended to be committed, but not downloaded :D

I had to commit my current working repository because I wanted to revert to older versions to investigate the tech speed problem. I assumed that I had commented out the changed code before committing, otherwise there are just negligible changes in that revision. Generally if the commit message is empty, there is no reason to update.

Do the last commits break SVN 966 games?

Nope, should be fine.

The 3rd Aztec goal is somewhat problematic. The reason is it's unpredictability. I propose to change it or make it somewhat deterministic i.e: every 3rd old world unit you kill becomes a slave.

EDIT: On second thought the goal should be transformed to "Kill X old world units." The reason is that the reload semi-cheating strategy has a huge advantage here!!! (Sorry for bold, I wanted to highlight the point of this post.)

The conqueror stack is 18 units, so normal slave number is 6, maybe 8 with some reloading. The 12 left slaves can be aquired by 12 other units. 12+18=30. Thus "Kill 35 old world units." (+5 to replenish the difficulty).

The 3rd Aztec goal is somewhat problematic. The reason is it's unpredictability. I propose to change it or make it somewhat deterministic i.e: every 3rd old world unit you kill becomes a slave.

EDIT: On second thought the goal should be transformed to "Kill X old world units." The reason is that the reload semi-cheating strategy has a huge advantage here!!! (Sorry for bold, I wanted to highlight the point of this post.)

The conqueror stack is 18 units, so normal slave number is 6, maybe 8 with some reloading. The 12 left slaves can be aquired by 12 other units. 12+18=30. Thus "Kill 35 old world units." (+5 to replenish the difficulty).

Using the reload cheat only cheats yourself, surely? It's not like you are playing against other humans - if someone wants to cheat they could just WB a load of English warriors and kill them all easily after all.

You could argue in favour of changing it to having to kill old world units to avoid the random nature of the slave mechanism, but then the combat already has a random element to it, so why not the slave generation as well?

Using the reload cheat only cheats yourself, surely? It's not like you are playing against other humans - if someone wants to cheat they could just WB a load of English warriors and kill them all easily after all.

You could argue in favour of changing it to having to kill old world units to avoid the random nature of the slave mechanism, but then the combat already has a random element to it, so why not the slave generation as well?

Because this mechanic has two stages of randomness. You have to win bothy the battle and the chance. Please, play an aztec game before commenting on this, I'm sure you will join my side in no time.

Persia seems to like bulbing Theology and Divine Right with prophets they get from Jerusalem instead of building shrines. In a recent game where I traded them Theology they founded Islam in 230 AD.

A small question is there an updated maps of civilizations (their flipzones, boundaries etc), cause now the newer civilizations Canada, polynesia do not have this yet. Might be handy just to see in advance where one can expand before having been there.

There should be maps including Canada and Polynesia, as well as the map changes in South Asia, in the Maps folder.

take a guess

I started a Mongolia (autoplay) game and get ready for attack then find myself hit with chinese Cannons and their city has rifleman... 13th century o.0 That ends the mongolia venture :(

How the hell can China get to Cavalry, rifleman and cannons in the 1200's?!

Update: I checked the rest of the world and they of mainly medieval, except cuirassiers in the byzantine empire, which is already impressive in the 1200's.

~~~

Another game and China has longbowman before AD... Around the time Rome starts their conquest. Seems somehow China is able to develop technology at an insane quick rate. That -20% must be really beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom