[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
ΑΦΑΙΚ there is massive bullying in Japan against those who are fat.

That's the first time I've ever seen AFAIK written with a phi, rather than an f. :)

Mastodons roamed Canada or some such. As an American with a Jersey pubic school edyoucatyon, I can discern that map is NOT Canada.

This is my sister's, but mine should be the same, unless one of us is adopted.

Shouldn't, if for example your mother had a chromosome that originated in East Asia and you got it, but your sister didn't. You only preserve half of the combined ancestry of your parents, and not necessarily the same half as your siblings.
In fact it is possible that you share not a single chromosome with your sister (if you are a man) and the likelihood for that is about 2.4 in a million. If parents are both a 50/50 mix of origin A and B, they may in principle have "pure" A or B type children together.

Further proof that Poland is in Eastern Europe :D

That readout looks familiar, yes. I think it costs something like £200 to get it done privately.

Shouldn't, if for example your mother had a chromosome that originated in East Asia and you got it, but your sister didn't. You only preserve half of the combined ancestry of your parents, and not necessarily the same half as your siblings.
In fact it is possible that you share not a single chromosome with your sister (if you are a man) and the likelihood for that is about 2.4 in a million. If parents are both a 50/50 mix of origin A and B, they may in principle have "pure" A or B type children together.

Wow, interesting. So is the implication here that it's impossible to really say where my ancestry lies? If during each generation essentially 50% of all data is lost, then it seems to me that if you go back 5 generations the data is so-so, if you go back 8 generations it's even less accurate, etc. Is that about right?

"Broadly European"

Is this one of those sites you pay to trace your genes?

Yeah. My sister's husband is a director at a genetic research facility, but I'm pretty sure this was done through a website.

Wow, interesting. So is the implication here that it's impossible to really say where my ancestry lies? If during each generation essentially 50% of all data is lost, then it seems to me that if you go back 5 generations the data is so-so, if you go back 8 generations it's even less accurate, etc. Is that about right?

Well I believe that on average a person's genes are 50/50 from each parent (a little more from the mother usually though, but that's nearly negligable), so I reckon it actually portrays ancestry pretty well.

Yeah. My sister's husband is a director at a genetic research facility, but I'm pretty sure this was done through a website.

Well, as you go back in the generations, more and more of the data has been lost, but there was also more data there to begin with. If a large part of that data was 'Polish', then the data remains. However, yes, if you had exactly one great-great-great-great-great-grandmother who was a native American, her data is either still there (and overrepresented!), or it was lost at some point and is underrepresented.

Oh, awesome. This means you could do 23&me and get way more out of it than others, to your long-term benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom