Status
Not open for further replies.
Size of the Balkan countries:

Albania (28,748 km2)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (51,197 km2)
Bulgaria (110,993 km2)
Croatia (56,594 km2)
Greece (131,990 km2)
Kosovo[a] (~9,700 - 10,908 km2; excluding - including North Kosovo)
Fyromania ( :) ) (25,713 km2)
Montenegro (13,812 km2)
Romania (238,391 km2)
Serbia (77,453 - 88,361 km2; excluding - including Kosovo)
Slovenia (20,273 km2)
All countries (766,072 km2)

source: Wikipedia

That's not a very good graph/chart.

That's not a very good graph/chart.

It doesn't matter as long as it makes a certain insignificant country in the Balkans seem more important than it really is.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 309
Insane how Norway is ahead of US and China...

A lot of the US coast is fairly smooth. Norway is extremely jagged and rough. So if you pulled both into a straight line Norway gets much longer, the US not so much. The crazy distance one is Canada. Close to 20 times the coast of the US. :eek:

A lot of the US coast is fairly smooth. Norway is extremely jagged and rough. So if you pulled both into a straight line Norway gets much longer, the US not so much. The crazy distance one is Canada. Close to 20 times the coast of the US. :eek:

Indeed. Actually I'm surprised Indonesia isn't top, my money would have been on them.

The part of Russia's coast that is in Europe is surely less than 1/3rd of the entire country's coast; Greece's coastline is more than 1/3rd of Russia's coastline; therefore Greece is 2nd in Europe.

And Greenland obviously isn't in Europe.

The part of Russia's coast that is in Europe is surely less than 1/3rd of the entire country's coast; Greece's coastline is more than 1/3rd of Russia's coastline; therefore Greece is 2nd in Europe.

Russia's in Europe. :p

Lots of Greece's coastline surely comes from islands that are just as much "Asia" as "Europe". Likewise, you''d guess Norway's figure is obtained by including those Arctic islands whose "European" status is just political.

And Greenland obviously isn't in Europe.

Why?

Anyway, it's part of Denmark and Denmark is in Europe.

What? No. Greece's islands are in Europe. Norway's might include islands that are not in Europe, but that probably wouldn't make much difference to its ranking. If you're trying to tell me that the coastline of Vladivostok is in Europe then you are crazy. Greenland is in North America. I'm talking about "coastlines in Europe" not "coastlines that belong to states that are administered or controlled by countries whose capital is in Europe".

Pangur Bán;11161403 said:
Lots of Greece's coastline surely comes from islands that are just as much "Asia" as "Europe". Likewise, you''d guess Norway's figure is obtained by including those Arctic islands whose "European" status is just political.

According to the statistics bureau, the coastline of "Mainland" Norway is around 25 000km.

What? No. Greece's islands are in Europe. Norway's might include islands that are not in Europe, but that probably wouldn't make much difference to its ranking. If you're trying to tell me that the coastline of Vladivostok is in Europe then you are crazy. Greenland is in North America. I'm talking about "coastlines in Europe" not "coastlines that belong to states that are administered or controlled by countries whose capital is in Europe".

Well this is just fiddling figures then. Many of Greece's islands are closer to Asia than Europe (it's a nonsense to say Samos, Lesbos and Chios are in Europe), yet they are in Europe while Turkey's islands at the same distance are Asia?! Essentially Greece's Asian provinces are counted, Russia's ignored. While Denmark's arctic island of Greenland is in "North America", Norways are in "Europe"?! Gimme a break. Europe as a geographical term is nonsense enough anyway; either definitions for this kind of thing are political all the time, or there's some meaningful commitment to geography.

Are you including Reunion in the French figures?

It's obviously in Europe guys.

I'm pretty sure that if you subtracted the 85% or so of the Russian coastline that is in Asia from its figure it would come out lower than if you subtracted the coastlines of Lesbos, Samos and Chios from Greece's figure. You're welcome to try it if you like, I'm not too bothered.

Done some checking, it appears Norways arctic islands don't make a difference, and if they did it would add 58000 ... they'd still lose to Denmark though (and maybe Russia if their islands were counted; and so Greece would still be fourth! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom