[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine that getting hit by a car while walking over to the car that they just pulled over on the highway claims more than a few police lives each year....

Doesn't seem like a very good chart if it only has 3 data points. The small print says only 1990, 2010 and 2015 were available. How can you establish a trend with that? What if 2014 and 2016 were at like 10 and 2015 was just an aberration?

Anyway assuming a trend, what's the explanation for it? My guess is it's going to be something related to litigation where drs have to be more concerned with insurance and covering their asses than with patient care, cus that seems to always be the case in america.

Here's another

Pregnancy related deaths too are going the wrong way

Lack of prenatal care, insurance, and the cost of hospital births (10k) prevent many people from getting the help they need. Increasing rates of heart disease and chronic health issues also are making things worse, since most deaths are due to embolism or hemorrhaging. Black women also have 3-4 times the fatality rate than other groups and frequently report discrimination and lack of access to service.

wtf you have to pay 10k to have a child

So they really are making it so that abortion is cheaper than delivery. This is… ugly. Cruel. Stupid. Mean.

Abortion will always be cheaper than delivery. At least in the long run. Babies are expensive as heck.

But the government could make them affordable. If, you know, 'pro-life' politicians held the majority of public offices.

But the government could make them affordable. If, you know, 'pro-life' politicians held the majority of public offices.
It's easy, massive fines for anyone who has an abortion or who fails to have kids. Then they can use the money from the fines to fund moar tax cuts for the rich! It's win-win!

wtf you have to pay 10k to have a child

The charges might be that much. What the individual pays is completely dependent on their type of insurance. It also depends on if you have a normal delivery and how long you are in the hospital. If you have a normal delivery and are only there one night the charges are probably half that but as soon as an OR or surgeon is involved things skyrocket so 10k seems like an average.

The charges might be that much. What the individual pays is completely dependent on their type of insurance. It also depends on if you have a normal delivery and how long you are in the hospital. If you have a normal delivery and are only there one night the charges are probably half that but as soon as an OR or surgeon is involved things skyrocket so 10k seems like an average.
We shouldn't accept a system where this is a normal outcome.

Spoiler :

"nobody lives here
250x250m area where there are no registered permanent inhabitants"

der ingen skulle tru at nokon kunne bu

Moderator Action: Foreign language phrases should always be translated. Thank you. ~ Arakhor

Courtesy of Google Translate: No one would think that anyone could bend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another

Pregnancy related deaths too are going the wrong way

Lack of prenatal care, insurance, and the cost of hospital births (10k) prevent many people from getting the help they need. Increasing rates of heart disease and chronic health issues also are making things worse, since most deaths are due to embolism or hemorrhaging. Black women also have 3-4 times the fatality rate than other groups and frequently report discrimination and lack of access to service.

Is the US not that country where childbirth is over-medicalised and almost all childbirth takes place in hospitals, instead of at home by midwifes ?

What, do people still give birth at home in your country? I can assure you in Spain such people are very much the exception. That does not mean every woman gets her belly slit open, although there is some abuse of the cesarean technique.

What, do people still give birth at home in your country? I can assure you in Spain such people are very much the exception. That does not mean every woman gets her belly slit open, although there is some abuse of the cesarean technique.

My two daughters were born at home under the guidance of a midwife..
One in the bathroom in bath and the other in the bedroom with myself hugging my wife from behind because that helped to ease it.
I received like so many Dutch fathers the proper training (which you do together with your wife), which was quite interesting for us as future fathers, helps also to understand what your wife is experiencing.

Bear in mind:
If there are no complications, childbirth at home is emotionally for many woman (and the rest of the family) much more comfortable.
With my second daughter, half an hour after birth, my wife was lying nicely in bed, breastfeeding the new one and my other daughter lying next to her. What is more natural, and building affection like that ?
Childbirth at home can mean a midwife or the local Physician that knows the woman and the family.
Much has to do with the countries culture. Also how patriarchical that culture is.
So you see in NorthWest-Europe traditional more midwifes than in South Europe.

I looked for proper OECD report, but they only report the amount of midwifes per country.
So here an article that is more an analysis why the US is so high in hospital childbirth and gives Europeran figures as well.
In the linked PDF file of that article I saw that in the Netherlands a midwife is involved in about 120 childbirts per year, which matches from memory the time she spend with us in preparing visits and the actual delivery. Her costs ofc nowhere near that 10k in the US in hospital.
The US has a freak behaviour here: I added an article on that below.
Here already some text of that:

"Every year in the UK, more than half of babies are delivered with the guidance of a midwife. In Scandinavian countries, it’s more like three quarters (pdf), similar to the rate in France. In fact, in these and many other countries, midwives take part in almost all deliveries, as they also assist OB-GYNs in more complicated cases.

But in the US, less than 10% of deliveries are led by midwives. The rate has languished in the single digits since a century ago, when expectant mothers largely stopped using midwives to embrace doctor-led childbirth, believing that was safer. Ironically, that shift has resulted in myriad problems stemming from the over-medicalization of childbirth.Those problems are reflected in the country’s high rates of C-sectionsas well as in the “cascade of interventions” that comes with medically managing labor, a problem that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) acknowledges, too."

https://qz.com/1119699/how-racial-segregation-led-childbirth-in-america-to-be-over-medicalized/

Last edited:
Much has to do with the countries culture. Also how patriarchical that culture is.
So you see in NorthWest-Europe traditional more midwifes than in South Europe.
Explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom