[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
With way the old Germanic word
weg comes from the PGmc noun *wegaz, ultimately from PIE root *weǵʰ-, which is a verb meaning "to bring/transport." Via *wegaz we have a number of Germanic descendants such as Dutch: weg, German Weg, English way, Plattdütsch Weg, Yiddish veg, Norwegian veg, Danish vej, etc.
and I guess street from Roman paved ways

Where is road coming from, the word used so much in English, but AFAIK no equivalent in Dutch or German ?

A story is from ride. From riding on a horse.
I found this in Gaelic:
ròd, a way, road, Ir. ród, E. Ir. ród; from Ag. S. rád, M. Eng. rode, now road.

Apparently road is also a Gmc word. From OE rād (riding, hostile incursion), from PGmc *raidō (a ride), from PIE *reydʰ- (to ride).

Cognates include ride, Eng/Scots: raid, and WFrisian reed

Obviously any number of PIE words deriving from reydh- are also cognates, though I can't look them up at the moment as I'm out of the house and don't have access to my PIE reference texts.

a2fa9aa.png

How do we stop this?

Wisconsin is literally the worst offender of gerrymandering and dark money financed elections. Scott Walker is pretty disgusting in how his election was funded and won.

Wisconsin is literally the worst offender of gerrymandering and dark money financed elections. Scott Walker is pretty disgusting in how his election was funded and won.

Which is why I derived such pleasure from his defeat last year.

Honestly surprised that bottom right one has any mainland blue

There's several things happening that produces anti-democratic situations like Wisconsin. From most to least fixable:
  • Racist and race-adjacent vote suppression methods are rife, which in practical terms is causing the Republican share of the vote to be inflated across the board.
  • Districting being in partisan hands makes it incredibly easy to rig elections
  • Political party rules are strongly rigged in favour of the big 2 parties and make it very hard for other parties to organise and participate in elections
  • First past the post voting within single member districts is bad at representativity, and at allowing voters to vote with genuine choice (since tactical voting for the status quo more preferred big 2 party is always optimal except in safe districts)
  • Single member districts are actually just inherently bad at accurately representing populations' political preferences
Each of these elements has a different solution, each would be strictly better than the status quo and closer to making a place like Wisconsin a genuine democracy.

Remember most white women who vote Republican are older women married to white men who vote Republican ... and who do you think is really voting?

The person to whom the woman listens and trusts the most about politics, I assume.

Specifically with Wisconsin (if I were American), I'd print out this on t-shirts (spending more time to find the most accurate graph available after it's been subjected to skeptical peer-review for not being the least bit misleading.

I would then fricken mail those t-shirts to people. Mail them to random small businesses. Mail them to public allies in the area. Like, I'd drop $100 on this and ask like-minded friends to do so as well. Make some damn noise. Piss, in the letter ask to share a photo of themselves in this t-shirt on Facebook and you'll send them another t-shirt.

There's no Plan C for a successful gerrymander that the courts won't address. Well, there is, but it literally requires the guillotine.

I am 100% serious

Also: To reliably divorce women from any and all responsibility for bad actions on their part, because such actions clearly must be caused by men having power over them, discredits their agency and infantalises them.
And it's misandry, too.

It's actually simple fact that married white women are far more likely to vote Republican than unmarried women. Pointing out this fact does not absolve anyone of anything. If I recall correctly it was hypothesized that this was at least partially because married women tend to interpret their husband's interest as their own interest: this can make them hostile to policies that e.g. help women in the workplace, because they see those women as competing with their husbands in a zero-sum game.

Imo it is a strong argument against marriage.

It's actually simple fact that married white women are far more likely to vote Republican than unmarried women. Pointing out this fact does not absolve anyone of anything. If I recall correctly it was hypothesized that this was because married women tend to interpret their husband's interest as their own interest: this can make them hostile to policies that e.g. help women in the workplace, because they see those women as competing with their husbands in a zero-sum game.
There is a world of difference between "women are more likely to vote for Trump if they are married" and "when married women vote for Trump it is really the husband that is voting". Married and single women (people) are different demographics (age for example, probably religion as well) that could explain it. Also your hypothesis that it is to do with how they feel their interests are affected is not "their husbands are controlling their voting", it is deciding for themselves about what is in their best interest.

Those charts just show what's wrong with an all or nothing electoral system though. It makes it look like 90% of white men voted for trump, when it was more like 65%. College educated whites was even lower I think, like 55 iirc.

Remember most white women who vote Republican are older women married to white men who vote Republican ... and who do you think is really voting?

The numbers I found said white women only favored trump 47 to 45%. It just happens to be an all or nothing electoral system.

It's actually simple fact that married white women are far more likely to vote Republican than unmarried women. Pointing out this fact does not absolve anyone of anything. If I recall correctly it was hypothesized that this was at least partially because married women tend to interpret their husband's interest as their own interest: this can make them hostile to policies that e.g. help women in the workplace, because they see those women as competing with their husbands in a zero-sum game.

Imo it is a strong argument against marriage.
It seems more likely that women who are likely to identify with their partner's interests are more likely to pursue marriage, than marriage itself bamboozling women into mistaking their interests.

I'd guess that most of this discrepancy is explained by age and religiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom