DaNES II: When the Stars Fall

Where the Ancients Were

I am an old man.

I have never seen war.

I have only known peace, the blessed peace of the Awakened One.

And now, I shall leave behind my worldly burdens.

But I shall go on one last voyage.

Memorial of King Zhao Wenming, King of Nanyue circa the Seventh Century

-----

He glanced at the sun from his straw hat. It was a good day. The sun had not yet risen too far in the sky and the farmers had already been long in the fields.

How he missed those days!

The early mornings would have him and his neighbors walk out to the fields when the mist still lingered around. And before they would begin their day’s labor, they would make a small offering at the local shrine. Those who had been with him were long gone, either buried beneath the family plots or dead in battlefields far away.

He was the wizened one. He was the village elder that all respected and came to for advice. He was the one who told the children stories of the past and the one who recalled the ancient histories of their land. His children had all long gone to the afterlife; his children’s children had long become grandparents themselves. In his long life, he had seen much of the world.

He dimly recalled the city of Óc Eo that he had journeyed to in his youth to sell parts of his harvest. There, he had waited as a wealthy merchant measured out his rice and paid him a few silver coins. With those few silver coins, he would buy the necessities for his family.

It had been so long.

The soft smell of his wife’s hair he could still recall. The famine and the wars had taken away so many of their village. But he had long accepted that as a part of life. He did not remember a time when there was not war. There was always war, and some haughty lord who came and demanded his share of the harvest so that he could fight his neighbor.

He drifted out of his daydream. How quickly the time passed!

The wives of the farmers had come out to give their husbands their midday meal before they returned to sewing. He grunted his acknowledgment when one of them came and gave him a bowl of congee mixed with dried fish. He gulfed down the meal. It was very thick, very good congee for his weak stomach. He had lost most of his teeth seasons ago, and he used a set of animal teeth during important festivals. It had been a gift from the village for what they said was his eightieth dry season, as if he still remembered. Feeling warm under the afternoon sun, he drifted off to sleep.

When he woke up, the sun had begun its descent into the hills. The village had gathered in the village center and began cooking. The smoke rose to the heavens to celebrate another day, another harvest complete, and another year of life. It had been an odd harvest. There had been no lord or even an emissary of a lord that had come to demand their share for almost three dry seasons. He had wondered about it but simply shrugged it off. Perhaps the lords were too busy fighting their wars.

As he began telling the children the story of the winds and the ocean, a lone rider approached from the setting sun. Rising from his comfortable chair, he took off his straw hat and bided the villagers to gather in the center. It had been a good harvest; they could afford to pay what their lord would demand from them.

The rider galloped into the village center.

And what a rider! This was no common conscript that the lords would often take from their village. This was an officer! Dressed in the mourning colors, his bearing was tall and proud. His bearing was that of a lord. Thus, he was at a loss for words when the mighty lord dismounted and came to his knees in prostration. A lord prostrating himself to villagers? Impossible!

“I beseech your forgiveness. I have missed harvest for too many seasons.”

An uproar came as the rider removed his armored helmet. It was one of their own. It was a boy taken from them seasons ago, to serve in the armies of another Lord. A boy no longer, he had returned a man of means for his armor and horse spoke highly of him.

He ordered the villagers to provide the finest foods and drinks to celebrate his return. Never before had a boy taken from their village returned to tell his tale. He had long assumed that they had all died, all died in the service of some unknown lord striving for unknown lands. He spoke with the young man.

What tales he had to tell, tales he could hardly believe. The wars had come to an end. Peace had come to all of Funan. One Emperor sat upon his throne at Óc Eo. Buddhists from beyond the seas had come to help the new Emperor rule wisely. Their fleets were as numerous as the eye could see. They had promised to help the new Emperor bring about a new golden age of peace and prosperity. It was these Nanyue who now advised the Emperor and his new court on the best way to proceed.

It was so fanciful. Peace? He bide the young soldier to go rest. And considering the eager glances of the many young women of the village towards the young man’s direction, it was unlikely that the young man would have much rest in the coming days.

He sat alone, staring into the night.

Treaty of Kisamos

A treaty between the Perseid Empire and the Republic of Panormos.

1. Territory between the Perseid Empire and the Republic of Panormos shall return to the Status Quo Ante Bellum.

2. The Perseid Empire shall reduce its Panorman tariffs by ten percent.

3. The Republic of Panormos shall do its best to increase trade between both nations.

4. The Republic of Panormos shall promise to not aid the Kingdom of Makedonia or the Kingdom of Aigyptos.

Signed, Basileus Andronikos I Nikator

Treaty of Athenai

A treaty between the Perseid Empire, the Kingdom of Chaonia, and the Kingdom of Makedonia.

1. The Kingdom of Makedonia shall cede its mainland territory up to Thermopylae, the Cylades, Euboia, and Skyros of the Sporades.

2. The Perseid Empire shall give the Kingdom of Makedonia 50 talents in compensation for Skyros.

3. The Leitores of the Kingdom of Makedonia shall attend the Council of Antioch.

4. The Kingdom of Chaonia shall give back the Makedonian territory which it controls.

5. The Kingdom of Makedonia shall give ten warships to the Kingdom of Chaonia.

Treaty of Kisamos

A treaty between the Perseid Empire and the Republic of Panormos.

1. Territory between the Perseid Empire and the Republic of Panormos shall return to the Status Quo Ante Bellum.

2. The Perseid Empire shall reduce its Panorman tariffs by ten percent.

3. The Republic of Panormos shall do its best to increase trade between both nations.

4. The Republic of Panormos shall promise to not aid the Kingdom of Makedonia or the Kingdom of Aigyptos.

Quote:
Treaty of Athenai

A treaty between the Perseid Empire, the Kingdom of Chaonia, and the Kingdom of Makedonia.

1. The Kingdom of Makedonia shall cede all of its territory currently held by the Perseid Empire to the Perseid Empire.

2. The Kingdom of Makedonia shall cede the rest of the Cyclades, Euboia, and Skyros of the Sporades.

3. The Perseid Empire shall give the Kingdom of Makedonia 50 talents in compensation for Skyros.

4. The Kingdom of Chaonia shall give back the Makedonian territory which it controls.

5. The Kingdom of Makedonia shall give ten warships to the Kingdom of Chaonia.

Your words are not worth the paper they are scribbled upon.

Take your treaty, and shove it where the sun does not shine.

To: The State of Yamato

Bearing gifts and greetings from Nanyue, we come as friends to the court of the Suiko-tennō. Even in Nanyue, we have heard of the wondrous splendors of the Yamato court. Furthermore, we have heard that many of the wise people of Yamato have taken a keen interest in the scriptures of the Awakened One. That and the desire of many of our merchants to come to Yamato have inclined our Lord to dispatch this humble embassy. We request the Suiko-tennō to allow Nanyue to maintain a permanent embassy at your court and that your Highness extend your protection to our humble merchants.

From the Court of Suiko

We welcome those who have traveled from south to our land where the world greets the day. That both our courts may prosper we will provide fair shelter and protection and enclaves in our ports for traders. In return we would expect similar treatment in your distant land.

OOC: Responses to my diplo to Champa would be nice, and to Jin-Guk too if bombshoo doesn't show :(
Az can do Jin. bombshoo not sending orders makes his claim null and void. I'm not sure exactly how the Cham were supposed to respond...
Another few things: are these Hellenoarabic poleis' ships entirely separate from the Seleukid navy? Could you possibly give them some stats so that I know what I'm dealing with, please, or give me a description of precisely what they are, where they are, and how their politics works?
Yes, no, and I'll embellish the original description from the preview thread for you.

First off, they've been hiring out fifty-ship squadrons. The current asking price is 300 talents for the temporary use of those fifty ships.

There are two Hellenoarabic poleis, Herakleia-Tyleia (on Bahrain) and Nikaia, in the OMD northern UAE. They usually tend to band together as far as trade policy and military policy go, but in terms of available military forces, save for the about 70 ships they can raise together, they're rather negligible. In trading terms, they are the successors of the old Gerrhaian polity that was briefly absorbed by the Seleukids during their golden age. They tend to be amenable to hiring their fleet out to destroy rivals in the carry trade, but are unlikely to act militarily on their own against external actors unless said external actors start commerce-raiding or some similar stuff, like silver tried from 605 to 610.
spryllino said:
Furthermore, even though Commander Gorma hasn't asked, could we have a faction rundown for the Patalene League?
You could!

Antipatreia: Largest city of the league and home to most governmental proceedings. On the site of what in OTL was Demetrias in Patalene. Usually they tend to go along with what the player says. Has a rivalry with Barygaza.
Barygaza: Second-largest city of the league and a major rival of Antipatreia. Tends to favor policies aimed against the Chola more than anything else. Strong proponents of the 'understanding' with the Pala. OMD Bharuch.
Abiria: That northern region bordering on Kaspeireia. Tends to be rather worried of threat from same but otherwise is quite happy with the Pala 'understanding'.
Surastrene: More or less the Rann of Kutch. Hinterland of Barygaza and usually supports Barygazan policies, but usually ends up being a force for stability on the whole.
Oraia: A renamed Kokala, significant (but small) port city south of Rambakia. Generally oriented towards the Gulf and trade towards the West.
spryllino said:
Also, I've got less income than last turn. I can see that I lost money through general pillaging and war weariness, but is it the case that I can expect an automatic financial boost next turn (once the satrap has got everyone to pay taxes to us again) from regaining Susiane and Persis, given that I lost 4600 talents of income when it was occupied? Or is it the case that the profit from regaining Susiane has already been made and cancelled out by the problems of war?
Kal got it right: you signed away a huge chunk of your best land to the Baktrians. You continued to levy troops as well, which keeps them away from their farms and reduces agricultural output massively.
spryllino said:
I also suspect from what you wrote that I should now have a Faction called Karmania in the stats.
You should. Damn, the stats this update have more holes than the plot of Battlefield Earth.
OOC: Dachs are the stats right?? Dude has a lot of money despite me and Mazageta raping his land.
Raping most of the less useful land. Chorasmia is pastoral land if it's used at all. Also, he has lost significant income...as well as upkeep.
OOC: Dachs question about the stats. Why is my Baktrian income 6000 talents lower this year despite the annexation of huge amounts of land?
silver speaketh the truth. Also, you've still got those levies out. Levying troops hurts your economy bigtime, cause those dudes would generally be farmers, or in the case of certain urban militias they would be traders. So your agricultural production is down. In Hellenistic history, the kings tended to rely on their mercenary troops instead of levying their klerouchoi or, in the case of the Ptolemies, machimoi, because they were afraid of the serious decline in their revenues if they were to remove so many farmers from the soil.
If bombshoo doesn't show up, I'll take Korea...if it's not an NPC anymore?
Only if you send orders this time.
Dachs, there's definitely an error in my stats, as I mentioned in my PM to you. I recruited 4,000 infantry this turn, (see the revised spending Orders PM) and lost 3,750. I remember having in the area of 15,000 infantry last turn, but now I have ~13,000. Can you take a look at this please?
Yes, I didn't include the extra 1,000 men you bought with your fourth orders PM, that's correct.

Try to limit yourself to only one version of your orders next time.

Basileus Straton wearily pens some letters to be snuck off across the plain. Maybe replies will arrive before someone decides to assassinate him.

To Basileus Diodotos VI of Baktria
Spoiler :
From Baktria
To Sogdiane

Hail Sogdiane. Under the crushing hordes of barbarism, we think it would be wise if you banded together with us. We are culturally similar and need to make a stand against these barbarian hordes.

I am listening intently. Kindly propose details.

To Touhan Qagan of the Tantan

Spoiler :
To Sogdiana
From Tantan Qagnate

You shall recongize the supremacy of the Qagan, you shall pay us a sum of 1,900 talents in this year, and then in the following, every half decade you shall pay us a yearly tribute of 500 talents.

Yeah, but can't. Would like to, but those gents to the west? Got here before you. Took all our cash. Ate our sheep.

To Sogdiana
From Tantan Qagnate

Do not attempt to mislead us with lies from your forked tongue. We are aware that your treasury is more than ample to pay us tribute. If you fail to tender us a suitable sum, then we shall simply take your capital and raze it to the ground and take all of your wealth and keep your land as well.

So choose. Tribute, or extermination.

To Touhan Qagan of the Tantan

Spoiler :

It's going to be embarassing for you when you get here and discover I was telling the truth. If everything were to start going perfectly for us (ha!)--that is, able to bring our land back under cultivation, reopen the roads and markets, and maybe have a respite of just a few quiet years where we weren't mauled by every yokel on a horse and his brother within ten thousand stadia, we could afford something under a quarter of what you ask.

But by all means, have a stay in our desert. In fact, how bout this: You give me a good horse, a waterskin, and a clear road out of here and I'll trade you the entirety of my 'incomes', which presently amount to dry wells, moldy crumbs, the stench of barbarians who can't read a map or count past the number of goats they can abuse in an afternoon, the nasal taunting of a bunch of very pissed off spoiled greeks, and a sparse gaggle of cold hearted mistresses well past their prime. Fair?

-cordially, Straton

To Sogdiana
From Tantan Qagnate

Your kingdom for a horse? Very well, we can agree to that.

The term you're looking for is cede, not secede.

Also, no.

Despite your hasty correction, your laughing at our fair offer has been noted. Good day, and enjoy losing everything you sought out to gain, and more.

(OOC: I read your reply before your edit, but didn't dignify it with an answer then. ;) )

To: The State of Wu

Your state is wise, and have only fought in order so that peace be kept and livelihoods preserved. Your people have long known of the wisdom of the Awakened One. Your arms are just in your struggle and your hearts and minds are deep in search for The Truth. We offer the finest handwritten manuscripts of the Awakened One and beautiful carved ivory tusks and religious art (around 711 silver talent's worth) for your Lord, should your Lord desire to learn wisdom and come into the Light.

To: Nanyue

We welcome your offering of tribute to the Son of Heaven, honored Prince of the Southern March. Today is the day of the greatest joy in all our mortal lives. For we look with smiling eyes upon your expeditions extending our domain to the south, for he is a foolish scholar and a backward fool who ignores the view of his own eye to ignore the breadth and shape of the world which presides All Under Heaven. They are blind as the barbarians arrayed against us, thick as stone and fit for only the brute force that labors like horse or ox.

The truth has too long been corrupted in the Middle Kingdom. Before the hordes of barbarian and mounted devil, our people have lost sight and mark of The Way. The inability of the the former dynasties to drive back the evil hordes lost their favor with Heaven and scattered the truth to the four directions of the Earth, away from our home. But now The Truth now returns to us in the words of the Awakened One and his path which is Our Way, taken from the oceans south to returned to the Son of Heaven and his specter. Be honored the beings celestial have chosen you, Prince of the Southern March, as their courier to set straight the true path of The Way.

Today all of his subjects by Heaven's rule will embark on The Way again, for the enlightened truth has come to its destined vessel, the Son of Heaven, Our Cakravartin Lord. With Heaven's truth restored on Earth, their chosen hand will drive barbarian and all corrupters of truth away forever from All Under Heaven. Exult, first among couriers.

To: Nanyue

We welcome your offering of tribute to the Son of Heaven, honored Prince of the Southern March. Today is the day of the greatest joy in all our mortal lives. For we look with smiling eyes upon your expeditions extending our domain to the south, for he is a foolish scholar and a backward fool who ignores the view of his own eye to ignore the breadth and shape of the world which presides All Under Heaven. They are blind as the barbarians arrayed against us, thick as stone and fit for only the brute force that labors like horse or ox.

The truth has too long been corrupted in the Middle Kingdom. Before the hordes of barbarian and mounted devil, our people have lost sight and mark of The Way. The inability of the the former dynasties to drive back the evil hordes lost their favor with Heaven and scattered the truth to the four directions of the Earth, away from our home. But now The Truth now returns to us in the words of the Awakened One and his path which is Our Way, taken from the oceans south to returned to the Son of Heaven and his specter. Be honored the beings celestial have chosen you, Prince of the Southern March, as their courier to set straight the true path of The Way.

Today all of his subjects by Heaven's rule will embark on The Way again, for the enlightened truth has come to its destined vessel, the Son of Heaven, Our Cakravartin Lord. With Heaven's truth restored on Earth, their chosen hand will drive barbarian and all corrupters of truth away forever from All Under Heaven. Exult, first among couriers.

To: The State of Wu

It is a wonderful day under the stars and skies that wisdom of the Awakened One be once more remembered and considered in the beautiful cities of the Jiangnan. That the Lord of Wu chooses to accept our gift of fine religious art so that he and his people may better know the Truth is one of great value. Yet we admit that we are confused by the words of the Lord of Wu.

How can the fleets of Nanyue expand the domains of a Son of Heaven? For the Son of Heaven is the Lord of All Under Heaven, and as such no fleet or army can expand his domain for he is *already* the Lord of All Under Heaven.

@ Dachs: thanks very much. That was all highly useful!

@ Karalysia: thanks.

Areia declares that the failure of the Seleukid Basileus to sign the treaty with the utmost speed will result in either a nullification of the treaty or an increase in its harshness.

@ Kal'thzar: My hurry is IC, not OOC. Nothing personal. Sorry if it seemed OOC.

On the other hand, my Basileus doesn't really sympathise with whatever highly suspicious reasons you have for failing to sign with the desired speed.

Just destroy him man. Let Selukia burn let the Tigris run red with blood. Recreate the OTL Mongol destruction.

@Dachs: The error is more than one thousand. I had 15,300 infantry before the update. If I recruited 4,000 and lost 3,750, I should have 15,550.

To: The Kingdom of Chaonia

As you have seen, our Republic has just negotiated a peace agreement with the Perseid Empire. Let us remind you that Italy, which we control excepting the poleis of Barion and Hydrae, is separated from Epiros, where your armies are, by a large stretch of water. In order to fight us, you would have to cross this water. Our navy is approximately 8 times the size of your own, if what remains to you can be called a navy.

So, we are asking you a simple question. How in Sophia's name do you propose to keep fighting? Yes, by all means, we could sink your remaining ships, starve out the last two poleis, and continue staring angrily across the sea at one another. But you are already engaged in a war with Makedonia. We do not wish to embarass you further. We want peace.

There is absolutely no way in which you can defeat us. Just look at your fleet and your treasury. Accept peace and leave us Italy, for the good of your people.

Top Bottom