DaNES II: When the Stars Fall

I think I had slightly different circumstances. Namely Bill being an ignorant dick. It's not like you are going to change the update soooooo can't wait for update 5?

Oh, wow. Welcome back! I suppose my army quality declined because I lost veteran cadres to retirement when the polemarchy was abolished? (Also, I know that upkeep costs go up when quality does, so shouldn't there be a concurrent effect when quality goes down? Because I haven't seen it.)

Also, I'd like to understand why my Megale Hellenic poleis are so meh despite the glorious victories. Besides that, really great update.

To: The Kingdom of Istria

That's a nice fleet you have there. Shame if something were to happen to it. Here's how this is going to work: You're going to give us 30 talents each year, and we are going to protect you. Also, don't you think a league would work much better than a kingdom? We certainly do.

From Walhia
To Iberia

Remove yourself from Walhia completely, which isn't difficult since you have practially been removed from it anyway, and this war will end.

An excellent update! What happened to the trade with the Patalene League? Did it all work out, and if so which ports have I gained concessions in, or did I end up having to restore tariffs in Harmozeia? Also, did my census have any effect?

To Kaspareia
From Areia

Are you ignoring me or are the Baktrians being uncooperative?

To Seleukids
From Areia

Five years after this destructive war, shall we try to encourage a restoration of trade between our nations by cooperating in building new roads and bridges to ensure that trade is not inhibited unduly by the new boundaries?

OOC: Dachs is back, thank Zeus!

The Kingdom of Jin-guk stands with its Wu ally. There will be no peace in the north until there is peace in China.

We're the Wu. ;)

All you Chinese look the same anyway :)

Also, I'll assume the Xianbei raid was punishment for my profligate country switching. I'll take it like a man!

OOC: Nice job Dachs.

To: Kaspeireia

We are willing to negotiate peace with us annexing all land held west of the Indus River and a payment of 1000 talents.

To: Sogdiane

Congratulations comrades.

To: Areia

We demand that your purchase of our territory and conversion efforts immediately desist.

Behold! A swift steppe pony comes from the eastern dust, under banner of parley. A courier is led to the tent of the yabghu. He bows and reads aloud:
Spoiler Basileus Nikias I of Sogdiane hails Spadahaura Ardashir of Mazsakata :
Ok.

And one into the marches of Baktra:
Spoiler Basileus Nikias I of Sogdiane hails his Basileus Diodotos VI of Baktria :
Thanks, you too.

While we're at it, let's attract the attention of the northern behemoth.
Spoiler Basileus Nikias I of Sogdiane hails Bunaq Qagan of Qypchak :
We are at the heart of the world. Far to the east and far to the west live tribes of wealthy insane men who each regard their own lives with disdain and want only what the other tribe possesses. Far, far to the south men at the edge of an ocean grow fat with the spoils of trade even though the most direct route passes right through here, this land. This was once a rich place, before war strangled the passage of caravans laden with treasure. The gist is this: By protecting traders and the cities they pass through, the tribute you could reap would be enormous. The wealth of the world will fall into your hands if you let it. The clever qagan would spare my lands, ensure safe passage for my merchants, keep his sub-chiefs in line, punish foreign tribes that threaten this arrangement: for these things the qagan would be praised as wise and strong even past the time of his grandsons' grandsons.

How much of that Makedonia was actually Theige's orders?

Oh, wow. Welcome back! I suppose my army quality declined because I lost veteran cadres to retirement when the polemarchy was abolished? (Also, I know that upkeep costs go up when quality does, so shouldn't there be a concurrent effect when quality goes down? Because I haven't seen it.)

Also, I'd like to understand why my Megale Hellenic poleis are so meh despite the glorious victories. Besides that, really great update.
Army quality went down because of that but also because you lost men and then started hiring new formations which never got combat experience. Upkeep went down somewhat but also went up because you hired new troops, built new ships, and conquered new territory. Your Megale Hellenic poleis are meh because that opinion accounts for both "your" Megale Hellenic poleis and the ones you just raped from Chaonia, which are somewhat less interested in this whole thing so far.
Thlayli said:
To: The Kingdom of Istria

That's a nice fleet you have there. Shame if something were to happen to it. Here's how this is going to work: You're going to give us 30 talents each year, and we are going to protect you. Also, don't you think a league would work much better than a kingdom? We certainly do.
Why would the ruler of Istria want to trade his removal from political power and some money for a protectorate? We're open to the protectorate idea but our government is our own affair.

OOC: What do you mean by "league"?
An excellent update! What happened to the trade with the Patalene League? Did it all work out, and if so which ports have I gained concessions in, or did I end up having to restore tariffs in Harmozeia?
You got your concession in Oraia and the Patalan fleet is intermittently patrolling the area for pirate-protection.
spryllino said:
Also, did my census have any effect?
Yes.
spryllino said:
To Kaspareia
From Areia

Are you ignoring me or are the Baktrians being uncooperative?
Huh?
Also, I'll assume the Xianbei raid was punishment for my profligate country switching. I'll take it like a man!
You haven't switched countries. You just never sent orders for, like, anything. The Xianbei thing was more "likely opportunism" than anything else.

We are willing to negotiate peace with us annexing all land held west of the Indus River and a payment of 1000 talents.
Counter-proposal: the map below and 500 talents.

Spoiler Basileus Nikias I of Sogdiane hails Bunaq Qagan of Qypchak :
We are at the heart of the world. Far to the east and far to the west live tribes of wealthy insane men who each regard their own lives with disdain and want only what the other tribe possesses. Far, far to the south men at the edge of an ocean grow fat with the spoils of trade even though the most direct route passes right through here, this land. This was once a rich place, before war strangled the passage of caravans laden with treasure. The gist is this: By protecting traders and the cities they pass through, the tribute you could reap would be enormous. The wealth of the world will fall into your hands if you let it. The clever qagan would spare my lands, ensure safe passage for my merchants, keep his sub-chiefs in line, punish foreign tribes that threaten this arrangement: for these things the qagan would be praised as wise and strong even past the time of his grandsons' grandsons.
Spoiler Bunaq Qagan, Ever-Mighty Ruler of All the Lands to the Ice-Bound Ocean, to His Sniveling Servant, Basileus Nikias I of Sogdiane :
The eternal ruler of the lands under the sky welcomes the offer of the prince of Marakanda to have his merchants ransom themselves in exchange for protection and safe-passage. He also demands a gesture of personal obeisance from the prince of Marakanda, what you Greeks call proskynesis, and a pledge to make the enemies of the Qypchaqs his own enemies.

How much of that Makedonia was actually Theige's orders?
Theige's orders ceased to be operative as soon as Archelaos III's head was turned into a Rux drinking cup.

With that in mind, the Maks are open to peace. I might make a proposal after I add the Indian janx.

To Seleukids
From Areia

Five years after this destructive war, shall we try to encourage a restoration of trade between our nations by cooperating in building new roads and bridges to ensure that trade is not inhibited unduly by the new boundaries?

I'll be honest, that sounds like a waste of money with not much reward in it. Its not like the roads disappeared.

OOC: Yay, Dachs is back. :) And this is why I hoped that the Iberians wouldn't assemble against me, but it's what I certainly would've done if I was them. Can't blame 'em.

IC:

To: Istria

For an annual tribute of 25 talents, our hordes shall protect your newfound domain.

OOC: More diplo later.

Awesome update. Questions coming.

From The Kimmerians
To the Goths

Leave forever, you bastard barbarians. You have no future in our land except the blackest death. Disturb us not and we shall not seek further retribution.

From the Kimmerians
To the Perseids

You will have our material support against the Ghassanids should you acknowledge our claim as Ierophantus.

From the Kimmerians
To the Mysians

Reduce tariffs by 10% on all our goods or we may be forced to intervene in Anatolian affairs.

To: Areia

We demand that your purchase of our territory and conversion efforts immediately desist.

We were subsidising our farmers, as it is necessary to after a destructive war. They were well within their rights to buy up land, and it would be appropriate for neither of us to stop them. However, we do not intend to continue to subsidise our agriculture to such a great extent in future anyway, because our border farmers clearly have plenty of (or even too much) money now.

We shall inform the Zoroastrian clergy within Areia that they are to use any Areian royal donations for maintenance, security and community projects instead of for missionary work.

On the upkeep: Meh. Upkeep already increased around 1300 this turn anyways, ~800ish of which I know came from the new Megale poleis, and ~500ish of which I assume came from recruiting new troops. I'm not exactly sure where the upkeep decrease from quality declining comes in. I guess I'm just nitpicking, but I would appreciate it if you took another look.

On Istria: The leader's an Archon, supposedly, so I don't get why he's ruling a kingdom. By league, I mean "slightly looser alliance of city-states," one that would be more resilient if the capital gets sacked. We'll agree to the protectorate regardless for the required fee.

Our counter-counter proposal is

750 Talents and
Spoiler :

To: The Aorsi Horde

Despite our newfound strength in Italia, we don't want to repeat the last war between us, which cost us each thousands of soldiers to little end. We offer the Murunda a gift of 50 talents to show our good intent, and we hope that you will keep your horsemen away from the territory of Panormos and Istria.

Top Bottom