• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Definition of the continent of North America (split from EU3 thread)

It's one of the downsides of anyone being able to edit wikipedia. :rolleyes:
in this same page there are maps of north america AND central america. so it depends in your definition of North America...the non-south american parts of America or actual North America? (Canada, USA and Mexico)

taking a look in Google, the north american countries :
Spoiler :

and central america herself :

Central America is a geographical region of the North American continent. Wiki editing has nothing to do with it; from Panama north is the continent of North America.

Back on topic, I want to invade Aragon in my Byzantium game (to take the rest of Southern Italy and Sicily), but I have a royal marriage with them. How can I invade them without a stability hit?

insult them till they declare at you? declare war at one of their allies? ;)

Central America is a geographical region of the North American continent. Wiki editing has nothing to do with it; from Panama north is the continent of North America.

North America isn't a continent, it is a "geographical region" of the American continent, like South America :)

If you want to go by plate tectonics, the North American plate ends with Mexico. But then by the same metric Europe doesn't exist, and perhaps more perplexing, India isn't in Asia. If you want to go geopolitical, the Americas as a whole are a continent, or perhaps North America doesn't include Mexico -- really, depends on how inclusive or exclusive you feel like being. If you want to go flora/ fauna distribution, the Americas as a whole again are on continent, but have only been so for the past 3 million years -- and of course, there's a lot of exchange with Eurasia so that gets complicated. Plus, going by flora / fauna, Africa and Eurasia are one continent.

In my opinion, North America ends with Panama. Continents are an artificial construct so I have no issue drawing an artificial boundary. Plus Panama is the extent I can drive, since no roads cross the Darien Gap.

insult them till they declare at you? declare war at one of their allies? ;)

North America isn't a continent, it is a "geographical region" of the American continent, like South America :)

Nope, not even when I was a wee boy in school.

Wikipedia said:
A continent is one of several large landmasses on Earth. They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, with seven regions commonly regarded as continents—they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.[1]

And nope, wikipedia is not always wrong!

Webster's Dictionary:
Definition of NORTH AMERICA
continent of the western hemisphere NW of S. America bounded by Atlantic, Arctic, & Pacific oceans area 9,361,791 square miles (24,247,039 square kilometers)

Definition of CENTRAL AMERICA
the narrow S portion of North America connecting with S. America & extending from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec to the Isthmus of Panama

You might weasel out and say that America is one single continent (from Argentina to Canada), but that doesn't change that North America is what is North of South America (e.g. North of Venezuela).

North America is Canada, USA, Greenland, Mexico, all of Central America, and the Caribbean Islands.

Yeah, exactly what Luckymoose posted.

North America is Canada, USA, Greenland, Mexico, all of Central America, and the Caribbean Islands.

Yeah, exactly what Luckymoose posted.

What about Caribbean islands like Trinidad which are South American in a geographical context?

Yeah, I personally view them more as coastal islands of South America than Caribbean islands really.

The continent of North America? See contre's post.

Generally, I use the seven continent definition. I have mixed feelings about Antarctica... it's a land mass, but it isn't inhabited so its value to us in discussing geography is almost nil.

Top Bottom