Christianity in America

I think it's quite plausible that, upon finding oneself in a hole in the ground, being shot at and terrified of imminent death, one might find oneself crying out to anyone and anything to save them, even imaginary beings. However, I don't think that's really the win for religion that the religious seem to think it is. If anything it's probably just a good illustration of how and why religion exists in the first place.

But it is why I asked: What is the time period in America when God wasn't kicked out?

To which I got no reply .... of course.
Looking at it from over here, they seem pretty into the god stuff still!

The FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program’s National Incident-Based Reporting System went live with test submissions in 1989; a handbook for the system was published in 2002; and as of 2010, only 43% of reporting agencies were fully certified. Only 32 state UCR programs were enrolled, and of those, only 15 were submitting all of their data. The Crime Index that was started in 1960 was suspended in 2004, and the Summary Reporting System was retired, fully replaced by NIBRS, in 2021. I don't know where enrollment or usage stands today, but The Marshal Project claims that, as of reporting year 2021, NIBRS was still missing data from 7,000 agencies, including the NYPD and LAPD (basically the entire state of California, in fact).

So anybody who claims that crime in the US is worse today than it was in decades past literally couldn't know what they're talking about. (All that said, it's still worth noting that crime rates in the data we do have are falling. The data in that table above are incomplete, but afaik we have no reason to think they're wrong, for what they do cover. The stories I've read of failures to report incidents properly, such as in Boston, haven't included falsified data, to my knowledge. I doubt all ~18,000 agencies have been subject to scrutiny, though. Could be all sorts of shenanigans going on.)

Yeah if it's just officially recorded stuff there's no way anyone can know. You'd need population surveys to get around the administrative issues.

The US census asks about crime victimisation? And did in the 1960s?

They started in the early 70s.

You missed my post above.

Not sure that's posting right.

Oh wait I get it now. I thought you meant the census itself contained these questions, not that a government survey existed. I forgot your national statistics organisation is literally called the US Census Bureau.

And yes, per that survey data crime victimisation rates were higher from 1973 to the mid 1990s for robbery, burglary and assault and have been lower since.

Now people can you please explain what"POST"-"POST" MODERNISM is?
Just looking at the Wikipedia page, it seems like the answer is "no, nobody can explain what post-postmodernism is." :lol:

That is because, as I said, post-post-modernism is at present inchoate.

My own guess is that it will be Apollonian, neo-classical, perhaps marked by extremes of discipline, even positively ascetic. "Renunciation" might be a watch word. But that's mostly an easy guess because it will inevitably represent something of a pendulum swing.

The first sign of its ascendency will be that it will have a name for "post-modernism" that isn't "post-modernism"

seems the thread is settled . Fine , no problems . But things exist . And they will be bad . It is only due to "fear of rocking the boat" that the US institutions are acting normally , when logic dictates that they would be leaning that way more and this way less . It is only due to Russian oligarks who want to play that this thing goes on and Russians are ahead already . You could have had a civil war in Russia in March or April '22 ... Yes , this stuff is good propaganda but it depends on fact checking that goes unchallenged . When all those actual patriots will feel obligated to rock the boat , the "non-crazies" in America will really learn George Sho-ross is very real and has funded anyone who has crossed his path , just like Hillary Clinton's State Department had no shame in openly funding internet warriors against stuff , like 5 million dollars or whatever in this country at a time those would-be-oppressed Kurds were digging trenches in towns turned over to them . So , you say Eppstein killed himself ?

14-04-2024.jpeg

That is because, as I said, post-post-modernism is at present inchoate.

My own guess is that it will be Apollonian, neo-classical, perhaps marked by extremes of discipline, even positively ascetic. "Renunciation" might be a watch word. But that's mostly an easy guess because it will inevitably represent something of a pendulum swing.

The first sign of its ascendency will be that it will have a name for "post-modernism" that isn't "post-modernism"

Why assume it would even be a pendulum swing in the conventional sense? Constant pendulum swings are more of a Western centric thing ever since the enlightenment.

We're going Gothic Tartarian with a little bit of Nebite mixed with an Umbrian aesthetic.

It would be difficult to describe it to you, but generally think tomblike dungeon structures reminiscent of Ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia (with occasional mesoamerican and Hindu influences) combined with cathedralesque architecture (with Shinto flourishes). People who don't quite get it go literally neo-victorian.

Now take these cultural ideas mash their philosophies together and that's what society will be, just add a bit of future tech but with heavy skepticism in it compared to our current time. Competing ideals of retrofuturism vs. retroarcanism will be the prime cope/cultural warfare aspect of the day.

Economically some kind of neo-mercantilism will exist. A weird patronage system will complement it. Some instances of anarchism in certain spaces, though with issues such as gatekeeping.

Exactly.

Now people can you please explain what"POST"-"POST" MODERNISM is?
Iv'e Heard Legends!
myea so reading through the wiki, not a lot of it makes sense.

1710373903266.png

so we got this, and that's all fine. the issue is that there's several things going on here.

there's modernism as a period, and post-modernism maybe as a period, and then post-postmodernism can be the period after post-modernism, and in that sense, i mean, sure, it can be a thing. it's very tiring seeing these wiki pages (even from reputed scholars mind you) fundamentally misunderstanding what postmodernism is about. like, it's true that postmodernism in art can deal a lot with irony, but it's not really the point of it, irony is a tonal approach to underline what's further, fundamentally, going on.

a big thing was that it's not like modernism was eradicated or whatever. it's not like it's impossible to be modernist today. most people are, even the dirty supposed-postmodernist left.

so, i know you asked for a definition on post-post, but we need to establish some things: the basic idea of post-modernism is in its reference to modernism. modernism thinks history as linear development, postmodernism sees it as an exchange of power. modernism considers things as having origins or roots, postmodernism sees things as part of a chaotic system with no inherent hierarchy of dependencies. the two also generally tend towards less and more plasticity, respectively, as to human framework of experience (not human behavior (our "output"), but predisposition (why we "output"); like body and senses are more "set" in eg phenomenology than like postmodern readings of the cyborg manifesto or whatever (which in itself, i'm not sure wherever it's supposed to be placed, but it does destroy the body as a common predisposition and has been used by modern pomos)). in the arts, modernism has an idea of incremental skill and betterment, while postmodernism thinks of art as an arbitrary range of styles whose quality (ie aesthetic effect, which is the important part) is independent of style, skill, etc.

basically, this is what it means when postmodernism rejects the grand narrative; it can consider, on a practical level, whether things are more competent or more pleasant today than in earlier history, but it doesn't have the belief that we're currently inherently better off than the past due to some historical development. postmodernism much more cares about interrelations of power than causal "roots" to whatever's going on, specifcally with the innate idea that the world is always tending towards better. like, they recognize things influence each other, but a lot of early post-modernism was rejection of then-psychoanalysis, for example, which sought to identify a single root for some ailment, over looking at a more complex (and indeed, infinitely more complex, and therefore near-inscrutable) picture. this has nothing to do with irony.

i made an mspaint
1710375376720.png

this is also why it's such a clusterpoop to read random people's takes on postmodernism; the actual legitimate texts read very differently when it comes to linguistics, politics, anthropology, or the arts, as they emphasize different things. rejection of postmodernism through the rejection of irony, which seems to be the core of the wiki page, is only really relevant when it comes to the arts. like, have we rejected postmodernism because the arts use more classical skills and less irony? not really. postmodernism doesn't care. it cares about whether you fundamentally believe the world will naturally be Higher Leveled in 2100, even if your "build" ends up bad; postmodernism rejects this.

so where does this take us irt post-postmodernism? because modernism never disappeared, you know. if it's just about reembracing that the grand narrative still exists, it's just modernism again

--------

so, the examples; let's see what they are arguing irt what necessiates the idea of some new movement

"
1710374926060.png

tom turner is a humanist academic of gardening, so he concerns himself mostly with a subset of architecture. this is a rejection of postmodernism in the sense that the sources of inspiration are definitionally not arbitrary, but i might break it to him that remixing geometry, taoism and jung is a very postmodern approach to art when it comes to material technique. the question then is a reasoning. postmodernism at its core doesn't believe in timelessness.

"
1710375528768.png

cool, but it's another argument about the rejection of irony, this time by a scholar of literature

"
1710375587378.png

this is asssssssss. postmodernists talk a lot about power relations yes, but the idea of victimhood is blown way up outside actual postmodernist literature. if someone says postmodernists only care about victimhood, don't listen to them, they've watched too much youtube and read too little; even a guy like this. it's not consistent with postmodernist texts i've dealt with. again, the question of consistent victim-vs-opressor is a grand historical narrative, which postmodernists reject categorically. that postmodernists then often care a lot about victimhood is true, but the problem is that it's not a fundamental idea of the world. that's a very boomer take, and it's damning that it's called post-MILLENIALism, like, are you kidding me

"
1710376073788.png

another boring boomer take, bluntly, some of it makes sense (like, the state of online socialization is so complex it doesn't align well with older modernist models, & at the same time, it's a period much different from what post-modernism used to describe; this is indeed a temporal switch in time), but most of it is just this kirby guy using it as a vehicle to rant about media he doesn't like

"
1710376215588.png

like, oh yes, the reputably skill-less, banal works of the blair witch project and the office, what an awful dystopia of life

"
1710376349351.png

last one on the page; now this is interesting, and sure. but the issue is that most earlier historical movements within modernism has considered whether something could be surely known, questioning it, often rejecting that we can't know anything for sure and whatever, and then reintegrating it into modernism as a new position. that's part of a number of modernist thinkers and principles. some is also just plain weird. like i've read derrida and foucault, i wouldn't call either of them uninformed. but i haven't read more on this

----

in general, the page is overall a mess and is either boomer crap (ironic as postmodernism was their era, it wasn't a 90s invention), or mostly concerns itself with artistic style, and neither really touches on the core of what either modernism or postmodernism is about. it's all ancillary.

We're going Gothic Tartarian with a little bit of Nebite mixed with an Umbrian aesthetic.

It would be difficult to describe it to you, but generally think tomblike dungeon structures reminiscent of Ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia (with occasional mesoamerican and Hindu influences) combined with cathedralesque architecture (with Shinto flourishes). People who don't quite get it go literally neo-victorian.

Now take these cultural ideas mash their philosophies together and that's what society will be, just add a bit of future tech but with heavy skepticism in it compared to our current time. Competing ideals of retrofuturism vs. retroarcanism will be the prime cope/cultural warfare aspect of the day.

Economically some kind of neo-mercantilism will exist. A weird patronage system will complement it. Some instances of anarchism in certain spaces, though with issues such as gatekeeping.
Hybridity is classically and centrally post-modern.

That's why the post-post-modern will have to involve a massive culling. It may be conducted entirely in haiku, for example. Arbitrary at its genesis, but rigorously mutually-self-enforced thenceforth. Almost certainly involving merciless self-abnegation of some such sort.

It may well emerge from the sustainability ethos, have that as its parameter. If I were a betting man, I'd lay a Benjamin there, I guess.

Last edited:

Top Bottom