Deity Isolation Workshop (Stan/Norm/Fractal/NH/NE)

I'm ok with both options.

Btw, @Lain when you have a bit of spare time it would be nice if you could update the first post -- we've played many more games and there has been a lot of interesting input by various people :)

I think a new thread would be better because it's already a bit difficult to navigate this one.

I'll ask here since I'm sure you guys know this by heart, having played so many isolation maps. When you are building triremes and learn Optics, do they turn into Caravels, so you can quickly whip them? I never recall if triremes get outdated, or are still legible builds post-Optics.

Nope. You can build triremes and upgrade them (50g I think). Otherwise you can build caravels in 1t with chops and whip overflow or a 3pop cold whip.

Since it generally takes 1t after optics to get enough gold to upgrade a trireme to a caravel it's usually best to get to get them via the other methods. Notable exception is when you don't have a coastal city on one coast. In that case you can sail a trireme around and upgrade it on the other side as long as you have a water tile within your cultural borders. That can save quite a few turns.

Been following this thread with much interest for a while, was finally inspired to post and ask for some advice.

Anyways, I'm playing with Sury on a decent (but smallish) island, just reached Astro and finished contacting the AI. Things are looking OK, but this is the point where I usually have difficulty/screw things up.

The tech pace of a few of the AI is already concerning (Mansa has Military Tradition?!), but Pacal and Montezuma seem softer and Pacal has the GLH, so I'm thinking most plans involve taking him out.

Spoiler Screenshots :
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (4).png

What trades would you make? Would you try to keep optics and/or astro away from the AI? Would you change civics now, later, both? Who would you tentatively plan to attack? With what technology? Espionage points? Which victory condition(s) look promising? What would you research from here? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Attachments

• Fractal AD-0200 so, uh... mansa has MT.CivBeyondSwordSave
    196.5 KB · Views: 126
Took a quick look.

Very weird not going for GLib here -- you could have got it easily, and the extra GS are a huge boost, especially when you're very early to Optics like here.

• I'd immediately trade Optics for Currency+World Map+90g with Mansa
  • Put 1 turn into Feuda and trade Optics for it
It looks like Pacal and Monty share an island. Looking at how far backwards the latter is, you shouldn't need Rifles to take him out. I'd probably just beeline Cannons while building Maces/Trebs/Pikes (using Vassalage, no need for Bureaucracy here, capital not great), and take out Monty, maybe also Pacal if he doesn't get Inf/MGs too early.

Can also get 6gpt for Copper with Mansa, I'd take it.

Oh and get the BUG mod ;)

Edit - forgot about the GLH, if Pacal doesn't get Rifles too soon, definitely take him out first. EPs probably on Pacal as he's the most likely target (for power ratio, you won't see his research anyway)

Hiya, i would take Currency +90g from Ramsy for Optics.
He gives away techs slowly (60% must know) and is not friendly with other AIs.
Then it gets a bit more complicated..Zara, Hammy and Mansa are all friendly with each other.
Too bad that Pacal has no Feuda.

Just saw Pedro's post, Ramsy is better for Currency trade..much more reliable with not giving Optics away while putting one turn into Feuda.

Against Monty i would not even wait for Cannons, he has no Castles (or even longbows for now)..actually he has nothing :)
Probably running around with Jaguars, Axes, Cats..should be a faster solution possible there than waiting for steel.

Hmm didn't think about the Ramsy thing, but it does make sense.

If you're gonna attack Monty pre-cannons, you really want to start on Engi right now, while whipping Galleons. But when you reach him he will most likely have LBs already (probably no Castles, though)

Getting a bit better I feel... random question: bulldoze all towns after Communism or not? They become kind of useless... but makes me wonder why I built them in the first place. Problem is that workshops are just really really bad before Chemistry at least :/ Thoughts?

Spoiler :

Need more production

Also, what's the quickest way to Domination here? :D

Attachments

• Isa AD-1390.CivBeyondSwordSave
    380.7 KB · Views: 252
Infantry + Arti looks good for domination? ;)
Could try some SPI diplo tricks, getting the rest of AL from HC for Biology, ~2 turns into Physics and trading Bio to Pacal next after switching Reli and getting him friendly.

Keeping towns while still teching (Artillery after Physics?) makes some sense imo, could wait with bulldozing until you are happy with army techs.

Hm good point about teching, but building Factories takes too long without workshops :/. And with production boosts, couldn't I just build Research/Wealth and contribute more? Especially in cities without Libraries/Universities/Observsatories :).

Continued a bit. Secured a lot of tech with SPI tricks, switching between religions for friendly relations.

Went with Inf+Arti ... maybe slight overkill

Spoiler :

Both capped after one city :/ no fun.

Maybe my best game so far~~ usually I have to chicken out via UN. Here I want to break Mr Inca.

Attachments

• Isa AD-1605.CivBeyondSwordSave
    427.8 KB · Views: 247
Necro alert.

Anyone still playing the Mao map? I decided to have a go over the holiday period.

Spoiler :
~55 pop over 9 cities before contact (6xx AD).
~75 pop over 9 cities at around 1000 AD.

Settled the island reasonably early (2nd city settled with currency).

Spoiler :

So much land claimed peacefully that 'slowly' teching towards steel and rifling (draft) looks the best play. Should get trades along the way. No need for urgency and whipping away everything -- can rely on matured cities with workshops. Same reason why there's no need to beeline astronomy.

Justinian will be a pain to deal with, but it looks doable. He has vassalized Hammurabi (force) and Suleiman (willingly), but Tokugawa is his own man. Good relations between everyone, so diplomacy is controllable. No real risk of Justinian taking over the entire continent (doesn't plot at pleased), which eases the execution of a later war.

Spoiler :

Nice! Thanks for playing this :). Did you take any earlier saves? Would be interesting to see how you handled barbarians (Archery yes/no?), tech path in the BCs etc... looks like you self-teched Calendar, Currency, even Code of Laws. What about Aesthetics route with the marble?

Nice nice, I have been playing a few old LHC maps offline and should really dive into this thread.
I have started to like isolation more and more.

Top Bottom