Direct2Drive "announces" "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack"

Fascinating discussion...one comment:
I wonder, does the fact that D2D offer Civ3 for immediate download as part of the sale of Civ5 affect the discussion of when the contract is fulfilled (even partially) versus still in a pending state?

I wonder, does the fact that D2D offer Civ3 for immediate download as part of the sale of Civ5 affect the discussion of when the contract is fulfilled (even partially) versus still in a pending state?

Good question. :eek:

I have to admit not having considered this possibility and at the moment are left clueless.

On a second thought I have to admit that at the moment I would tend to say that a partial fulfillment of the vendor's duties has been achieved.
Nevertheless, based on age and current value of the two different software products, I would assume this not to be a valid reason to exclude refunds.

But for sure this is a tricky point, no doubt.

The civ3 complete that is bundled with that preorder is presumably the Steam version, no? Maybe someone who's actually made the preorder could confirm but I assume you'd get the product key for that game right away and so any chance of a refund must surely vanish.

One question which is not really related to the current discussion but I'm pretty sure to the thread topic:
Would the civ3 complete that's included be tied to the same steam account that you get civ5 on? I hope not, because I already purchased it - one of the few games I own (or should I say "own") on Steam. If it were giftable, it would be nice. Perhaps I should email D2D directly.

The civ3 complete that is bundled with that preorder is presumably the Steam version, no? Maybe someone who's actually made the preorder could confirm but I assume you'd get the product key for that game right away and so any chance of a refund must surely vanish.

If it were the Steam version, you would have to declare your missing knowledge about the necessity to sign in onto Steam and to ask for refund immediately (= within the 14 days and without making use of that version, of course), as far as I see it.

Is/was C3 available for download from D2D or a non-Steam party?

One question which is not really related to the current discussion but I'm pretty sure to the thread topic:
Would the civ3 complete that's included be tied to the same steam account that you get civ5 on? I hope not, because I already purchased it - one of the few games I own (or should I say "own") on Steam. If it were giftable, it would be nice. Perhaps I should email D2D directly.
I'm not sure why the Civ3 part of the sale needs to involve Steam at all.
Surely you will just download and install it using D2D servers.

The Civ3 version you get via D2D has nothing to do with Steam. You download it from D2D, install it and play. There isn't even a key or anything needed.

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I think I jumped on that assumption because everything else in the deal involves steam.

Fascinating question.

In Dutch law (and this time I checked ;) ) you have 7 days after receiving the good to cancel. Since civ5 is the main good we are talking about, and civ3 is just the added bonus, I would say the term starts running after you get civ5, no matter how many free goodies they throw your way before that.

Fascinating question.

In Dutch law (and this time I checked ;) ) you have 7 days after receiving the good to cancel. Since civ5 is the main good we are talking about, and civ3 is just the added bonus, I would say the term starts running after you get civ5, no matter how many free goodies they throw your way before that.
Good luck taking your copy of Dutch Law and asserting your right at wherever D2D's European website is hosted.

Good luck taking your copy of Dutch Law and asserting your right at wherever D2D's European website is hosted.
This is a lame comment for several reasons.

1) It is what I have been saying pretty much several times, and therefore you have contributed nothing to this discussion;
2) If the website was EU based, I probably could and your sarcasticremark would be completely misplaced;
3) Basic principles like when the days-left-on-the-return-policy are often based on overlapping agreements between states and countries, so even if details are off for different EU countries, if D2D is EU based then my statement would be pretty much valid.

D2D sucks anyway. I bought BTS from them and it only actually worked once in a blue moon, I could run it as many times as I wanted to but it never responded. It's also a b**ch to patch games from D2D... they have their own special patches you have to get from their site.

D2D sucks anyway. I bought BTS from them and it only actually worked once in a blue moon, I could run it as many times as I wanted to but it never responded. It's also a b**ch to patch games from D2D... they have their own special patches you have to get from their site.

Except in this case, you'll get a Steam activation key.

You only need to deal with D2D when purchasing the product.

In reference to Shardus' response about EULA of DUh, read it.... most EULA's can be altered by the company at any time, they are not set in stone and no one is 'Grandfathered' by what the EULA was at the time of purchase.

So, the Duh, read it before you purchase is irrevelant to a consumer (since it really means absolutely nothing).

If you accept a EULA, but then the company changes their EULA overnight, you cannot get your money back for the product if you no longer accept it. You most often cannot return a product after not accepting EULA and not installing the product....

...And good luck finding EULA's openly provided by game companies websites. Chances are you would have to go through quite a bit; or at least spend time through contacts to get the EULA; but of course it all is pointless since they give themselves authority to change it at any time without notice, etc...

The whole thing is a bad means of making consumer accept something worthless to the consumer that the company can change at any time, solely made in legal jargon to let the company do whatever they please (and often protect themselves from frivilous lawsuits that could be brought against them). Of course, it's not surprising they do this, and I don't blame them either.

In reference to Shardus' response about EULA of DUh, read it.... most EULA's can be altered by the company at any time, they are not set in stone and no one is 'Grandfathered' by what the EULA was at the time of purchase.

So, the Duh, read it before you purchase is irrevelant to a consumer (since it really means absolutely nothing).

If you accept a EULA, but then the company changes their EULA overnight, you cannot get your money back for the product if you no longer accept it. You most often cannot return a product after not accepting EULA and not installing the product....

...And good luck finding EULA's openly provided by game companies websites. Chances are you would have to go through quite a bit; or at least spend time through contacts to get the EULA; but of course it all is pointless since they give themselves authority to change it at any time without notice, etc...

The whole thing is a bad means of making consumer accept something worthless to the consumer that the company can change at any time, solely made in legal jargon to let the company do whatever they please (and often protect themselves from frivilous lawsuits that could be brought against them). Of course, it's not surprising they do this, and I don't blame them either.
Well tom5050, you obviously have no clue on how agreements work, so I will leave you to your lalaland where there is no reality but the one you keep telling yourself. Do not read the EULA in advance if it is that big a deal. Do not even try. Then complain when you purchased a game and you do not agree with it.

I'm serious, do it.
Moderator Action: Warned - trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Well tom5050, you obviously have no clue on how agreements work, so I will leave you to your lalaland where there is no reality but the one you keep telling yourself. Do not read the EULA in advance if it is that big a deal. Do not even try. Then complain when you purchased a game and you do not agree with it.

I'm serious, do it.

Well, buy a PC game, disagree with the EULA, then try to return it to the store. Chances are, in most cases, you will not succeed.

Like I said, reading a EULA ahead of time doesn't matter, since it's not set in stone to begin with. You refuted nothing I said, and resort to saying 'I'm in lala land'. :lol:

People that resort to insults usually do so because they have no valid argument.

Any Agreement that gives one party (the company) the ability to change the agreement at any time without your consent is not really an 'Agreement' at all... because it does not require them to uphold what you originally agreed to. Do you understand this concept? Furthermore, you are required to agree to something that is not made easily available to the public and to consumers initially. And without the information, if you do not agree, there is in most cases nothing you can do about it.

And you are sticking up for this?, and resorting to calling names because you have nothing to back your argument up (and I'm not sure what you are defending?).

:lol:

Well, buy a PC game, disagree with the EULA, then try to return it to the store. Chances are, in most cases, you will not succeed.

Like I said, reading a EULA ahead of time doesn't matter, since it's not set in stone to begin with. You refuted nothing I said, and resort to saying 'I'm in lala land'. :lol:

People that resort to insults usually do so because they have no valid argument.

Any Agreement that gives one party (the company) the ability to change the agreement at any time without your consent is not really an 'Agreement' at all... because it does not require them to uphold what you originally agreed to. Do you understand this concept? Furthermore, you are required to agree to something that is not made easily available to the public and to consumers initially. And without the information, if you do not agree, there is in most cases nothing you can do about it.

And you are sticking up for this?, and resorting to calling names because you have nothing to back your argument up (and I'm not sure what you are defending?).

:lol:
EULA's can be altered, but that does not mean that the EULA you will be subjected to will be altered while you are subjected to it. It is therefore very possible that you can see an EULA in advance. I am not arguing that it is hard to see an EULA in advance, but you are arguing that it is futile to even try.

If you want the protection that is rightfully yours by law, you need to at least try to be careful about what you get yourself into. That is what I said. No more, no less. If you think the EULA matters not at all because you cannot see it in advance and because it is subject to change, then you are indeed not even trying and trying to put your head in the ground and be oblivious to the legal reality. If so, you are in lalaland where you cannot hear a thing because you are too busy holding your hands over your ears screaming lalalalalalalalalalalalalalala. ;)

And in practise, of course you will not succeed in returning an opened case tback to the store. That is why it is doubly important to check in advance if you will accept the EULA if you foresee the content of the EULA being an issue.

I'll only feel disrespected if they start having important features as DLC like new types of diplomacy or new wonders. Otherwise who cares about extra leader heads?

I'll only feel disrespected if they start having important features as DLC like new types of diplomacy or new wonders. Otherwise who cares about extra leader heads?
I feel the same way. Additional leaders and such are cool, but I would feel cheated if they started asking money for a new unit or something similar.

Top Bottom