DMAW04 - A Testing War

Nice work yena!

Hopefully can get horsie city up and running soon and send out the Immortals. Pottery would be good for granaries and cottages. Iron Working, Mathematics and Construction seem good.

Anyone want to volunteer a dot map for useful city locations and a ring of hilly defensive cities (I'm useless at dot-mapping)?

Roster
Ozbenno - In Canberra
Conroe - Copper Man
Civman123 - Equine Man
yena - No more Charlie
berserks01 - UP
GreyFox - On Deck

Got it for tomorrow sometime, so feel free to leave commentaries.

I'm not an experienced dot-mapper either, but I put something together for discussion. I would settler green first (for horses), followed by yellow to block the Chinese (need some troops for defence). White can wait until we have calendar.

I would settler green first (for horses), followed by yellow to block the Chinese (need some troops for defence). White can wait until we have calendar.
I wish we had some horses a bit closer to our capital. Oh well. I agree on green dot. But I'd move it 1N so that it is on a hill (from what I can tell of the picture). It could end up bearing the brunt of any attackers coming from the west.

As for the other cities, I'd probably wait and see if the Chinese or Turks settle any of them for us. Maybe grab red dot it it looks like it might have some production.

Lurker comment:

Been following and wish I was a part of all this fun... some of the cities are maybes but I think that D1 and D2 would be a solid start to your base defensive cities. The green E I don't know about but it would be the last one I would settle. You might want to settle the D1 before you settle 3. Hope this helps you guys some and that I am not way out of line giving a suggestion.

Two good dotmaps :goodjob:

Green dot, which will be our next city I'm a bit unsure about 1S (as in Temron's map) or 1N. Lean towards 1N as it would be on a hill and get sugar eventually.

We should look at yellow and pink dot as our two outpost defender cities. Although D1 on Temron's map looks a good defender city as well.

A quiet turnset for me.

MM Persepolis a little and shaved 2 turns off the settler build.

Pottery in, I decided on some archers before IW.

Found Persepolis on the hill.

Got archers

A sneak peek at Mao

I'd move the axe away to keep him from building only units.

Attachments

• DMAW04 BC-1650.CivBeyondSwordSave
    76.5 KB · Views: 77
lurker's comment: hmmm...wish i could see an overview map to check out where Mao is . . . :mischief:

i've always found you want to get some outlying cities up soonish so that you can grow unmolested in your interior and keep the commerce flowing, esp now that you have pottery

Pholk: you could always load the save ;)
that would require . . . what's the word i'm looking for . . . oh yeah, effort, that's it

can't you all just post the screenshots I (and am sure other lurkers) want and not be so selfish in your reports ;) :lol:

What? you don't see Mao in yena's dot map? Take a closer look ... let the force guide your eyes ... dope :p

Pottery in, I decided on some archers before IW.
I would have preferred Mathematics and Construction next. We have a source of copper, so we don't need the iron yet. And with our Immortals, we don't yet have a critical need for Swordsman. Personally, I think Iron Working can wait for the moment.

lurker's comment: hmmm...wish i could see an overview map to check out where Mao is . . . :mischief:
There is an overview map (in the spoiler tag) at the bottom of my turn report that shows Mao.

I also think we should be looking to annex China, once our ponies are connected. He'll be much easier to take down now rather than later.

I wonder what would happen if you tried to make a colony in an Always War game in BtS :p (I bet you would immediately end up in war with them)

Highlight: Started harassing the Chinese and celebrated the meeting of a new Civ (by slaughtering their emissary, ofcourse).

Someone said we are not the most powerful ...

Well, I couldn't care less ... erhm ... actually I could -- I could ignore this and not bothered with the screenie and all that ... but on the off-chance of someone caring this kind of Top-10 list.

Our lone axe in China saw a group of 1 archer and 3 warriors leaving Beijing, decided to ignore them (how much harm can they do anyway) and proceed to do some pillaging. The boys need some fun! After happily pillaging the floodplain cottages along the Yangtze River, caught the Chinese sending out a settling party ... protected by a single warrior? Ha!

Save me the trouble of building a worker in Persepolis. :yesyes:

Our axes reinforcement arrives in China and immediately goes into action:

After the fight, we see where the earlier stack of archer and warriors had gone ... they settled (there must be a settler in the earlier stack that I missed) Shanghai, just to the direct west of our attacking axe in the above screenie (in the fog, but there is a later one you can see it later).

The worker in the above screenie seems oblivious to our axes -- he continued mining happily. Well, hating to see him working so hard, we relief him and send him to our land so that he can work harder :lol:

The recently acquired workers reviewed the new Civ:

Ethopia. The scout is later killed. Apparently this caused the Ethopian to revolt ... they sure hate their leader for sending their brother scout to his death. But then, why is the Random Spirit reporting this to me? Why would I care?

Well, Mr Yaqob decided to quench his revolt by sending yet another scout to its death ... heh ... and that gave us a new general.

Note the barb archer near all our four workers in the above picture. I was trying to build the great Silk Road to hasten reinforcement for the taking of China.

I stopped there, since I have just learnt IW as well. Two sources I see on the map, one in the north:

The other one is just outside the border of Aachen (sorry, I accidentally destroyed the screenie).

Having 4 axes in China, I don't think we can take the protective archer defenders in Beijing. So, instead, after pillaging Beijing, I moved the stack to Shanghai. Suggest razing it -- (it will autoraze anyway) -- since we can't take cities without weighing the cost. Beijing is much better city to keep in the long run, though SH will bring Gems to add happiness. So, go debate anyway.

Our highest level axe has 61% chance of killing the archer ... the remaining defenders are laughable.

I am building a granary in Persepolis in preparation for using the whip ... we will hit happy limit at next pop, so time to introduce the art of dominatrix to Persia.

I am researching Maths for construction, but we need monarchy soon to grow beyond the measly happy limit.

Ethopians seems to be coming from the north (so maybe instead of the "Ottoman?" sign, it is Ethopia. Thus, next player may want to add some archers to Persepolis to beef up our defense.

Didn't build any settlers, I don't see how our economy can cope with capturing cities while settling at the same time. Need to plant some cottages.

Spoiler :

Logging by BUG Mod (BtS v3.02) - New Log Entries
------------------------------------------------
Turn 94/750 (1650 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:21:07]
Persepolis finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 95/750 (1625 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:21:46]
Persepolis begins: Axeman (5 turns)

IBT:

Turn 96/750 (1600 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:22:29]
A Hamlet near Beijing was destroyed by Persian Axeman

IBT:

Turn 97/750 (1575 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:23:23]
A Cottage near Beijing was destroyed by Persian Axeman
Aachen grows: 2

IBT:

Turn 98/750 (1550 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:23:59]

IBT:

Turn 99/750 (1525 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:24:26]
A Hamlet near Beijing was destroyed by Persian Axeman
A Mine was built near Persepolis

IBT:

Turn 100/750 (1500 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:25:07]
Persepolis begins: Axeman (5 turns)
A Cottage near Beijing was destroyed by Persian Axeman

IBT:

Turn 101/750 (1475 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:26:21]

IBT:

Turn 102/750 (1450 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:27:35]
While attacking in Chinese territory near Beijing, Axeman defeats (4.50/5): Chinese Warrior (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
Pasargadae grows: 2

IBT:

Turn 103/750 (1425 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:29:20]
While attacking in Chinese territory near Beijing, Axeman defeats (4.40/5): Chinese Warrior (Prob Victory: 100.0%)

IBT:

Turn 104/750 (1400 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:30:43]
Persepolis begins: Granary (8 turns)
While attacking in Chinese territory near Beijing, Axeman defeats (4.40/5): Chinese Worker (Prob Victory: 100.0%)

IBT:

Turn 105/750 (1375 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:31:57]
DMAW04(Persia) declares war on Zara Yaqob(Ethiopia)
Contact made: Ethiopian Empire
A Pasture was built near Pasargadae

IBT:
Attitude Change: Zara Yaqob(Ethiopia) towards DMAW04(Persia), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Zara Yaqob(Ethiopia) towards Mao Zedong(China), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 106/750 (1350 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:33:32]
A Farm near Beijing was destroyed by Persian Axeman
Aachen's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 107/750 (1325 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:35:21]
While attacking in Persian territory at Pasargadae, Axeman defeats (2.60/5): Ethiopian Scout (Prob Victory: 99.9%)
Axeman promoted: City Raider III

IBT:

Turn 108/750 (1300 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:36:41]

IBT:

Turn 109/750 (1275 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:38:09]
A Farm was built near Pasargadae
Tech learned: Iron Working

IBT:

Turn 110/750 (1250 BC) [19-Sep-2007 16:39:21]
Research begun: Mathematics (21 Turns)
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
Horatio Nelson (Great General) born in Persepolis
While attacking in Persian territory at Pasargadae, Axeman defeats (2.35/5): Ethiopian Scout (Prob Victory: 99.0%)

Nice work getting us some free workers. I agree on razing Shanghai, and I think we should build more troops to take Being. It has lots of food and production, and will be a good asset for our empire.

lurkers comment:

Nice progress here. However, I have to say that the game is broken in BtS when it comes to early warfare. The AI should not leave workers unprotected this way and even send out a settler pair in front of an axe.
With workers so valuable early on, this could almost be game breaking.

Decide not to risk the CR3 axe at Shanghai and sacrifice a CR1 axe. It grew to size 2 in the meantime but decide we can't afford it.

There's trouble.

Whip a spear. Think we will need a buffer city north of the capital to stop raiders.

I built our first two Immortals (with two on the way). I've sent a spear and Immortal north (they haven't quite joined up) to maybe see about some Ethiopian style pillaging.

There are 5 axes and 1 Immortal just outside borders of Beijing. There were 3 archers inside so maybe not enough yet. 1 more axe and 2 more Immortals should do it.

I'd consider a settler in the next turn set for a border city north of capital. If Horse Archers come down in force we could be pillaged to death.

Maths still a ways away. Some cottages would be nice in capital. Was on my list but never actually happened :blush:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/88650/DMAW04_BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave

Top Bottom