DoC Alternate History modmod Brainstorming Thread

mrrandomplayer

Hopeless Situation Warrior
For a very long time, I've wanted to mod DoC and add cool stuff to it. Therefore, I will soon be making a modmodmod called Dawn of Alternate History.

The planned features (in order of priority):
- Adding three alternate history scenarios, one in 500 AD, one in 1000 AD, and one in 1600 AD (and possibly a 4th one before 500 AD if you beg and plead).
- Adding several respawn civilizations, some of them alternate history civilizations (that were on the verge of existing but didn't for one reason or another)
-Adding several new leaders
-Merging this with the Diplomusic, Soundtrack, and Leaderheads modules.

Link to the site:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=22068

Mod Description said:
Welcome to RFC: Dawn of Alternate History ModModMod pre-Alpha v. 0.1!

This mod is a modmod of the Civilization 4 mod RFC Dawn of Civilization. The goal of this modmod is to expand on the alternate history capabilities of DoC.

DISCLAIMER: This is in very early stages of Pre-Alpha testing. Do not be surprised if the mod is unstable, slow, or crashing frequently. This mod is only compatible with Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword 3.19.

Current Features:
500 AD Alternate History Scenario
Current Bugs/Errors: (please provide solutions if you know:
The starting year interface does not display properly in the select civilization screen.
Carthage's reborn stability map, while shown on the map, does not register for stability.
There are several issues with the communications pools and Apostolic Palace.

Planned Features:
Pre-Alpha: 2 more alternate history scenarios, probably in 1000 AD and 1600 AD.

I hope this will see sucess in one way or another!

Reserved for current agenda and ideas.

500 AD Ideas:
Carthage beats Rome in the Punic War and burns down Rome, replacing it as the dominant Mediterranean power. Alternatively or additionally, Alexander could survive longer and his empire doesn't split up as much, if at all.
Questions/Issues:
-Should Carthage and Greece be alive? My thought process is no for Carthage, yes for Greece.
-What is the situation in Asia?

1000 AD Ideas:
A combined Byzanto-Persian alliance beats back the Arabs and they invade Europe instead, and they win at Tours, converting France and Germany (and possibly England) to Islam.
Questions/Issues:
-I would need to add a conditional spawn for the Seljuks with Islam in Iran and Mughals in India
-How much effect would a half-Islamic Europe have on the world?

1600 AD Ideas:
This one is the one that I am least sure about. I was thinking of China discovering the New World and there being Chinese, Japanese, and Korean colonies along the Pacific coast. However, this one is up for grabs in terms of ideas.

Pre-0 AD, 1800-1900 AD: Should they be done?

Go ahead and discuss!

Reserved for bug reports.

Reserved for other stuff.

Aaaand... you can post now.

Fascinating! I hope you make this mac compatible!
Now for some ideas that I have (BTW, I'm a huge history buff, so this is REALLY cool for me)

500 AD:
The Carthage-wins-the-Punic-War scenario appeals to me. You should be able to be Carthage, but Unstable and facing Roman rebels. You should have Italy and Iberia and North Africa, but almost collapsed. You could also be the Rebels, trying to retake Rome. You would be able to play as a Sparta, or Athens in an expanded Europe + Middle East map. The Celts should also be playable, as Rome never subjugated them. Sparta and Athens would still be city-states because Rome never conquered them.

Just some ideas, history is my passion. And civ.

Here some possible Victory Conditions:

Rebels:
-Recapture Rome by 600 AD
-Recapture Iberia by 800 AD
-Burn Carthage by 1000 AD

Carthage:
-Lose no cities to Rebels by 1000 AD
-Recapture Canaan by 800 AD
-?????

Sparta:
-Capture Athens by 600 AD
-Control all of Greece by 800 AD
-Have 3 extra-Greece cities in 1000 AD

Athens:
-Capture Sparta by 600 AD
-Control all of Greece by 800 AD
-Have a colony in the Aegean Sea, on the Black Sea, the west coast of Anatolia by 1000 AD

Celts:
-Control all Britain and France by 600 AD
-Build 5 Druids by 800 AD (new UU)
-Lose no cities to Barbarians by 1000 AD

Some Middle East Civ:
Also, where did you learn to mod? Just wondering.

I like your ideas, Greek, except for the separation of Greece into Athens and Sparta. That's a bit much. It will still be on the normal DoC map; a new map is too much to ask. However, a well and alive Greece, Celts that still exist (in Ireland and Scotland post-Euro spawn) and a collapsing Carthaginian empire all sound good to me. I'd add to this with the idea that Moors should be conditional in this case, based on whether or not Carthage collapses in those few turns, and that Persia should exist as a cohesive civilization so that Arabia has a competitor in the Middle East. Of course this will make expansion into Persia difficult for Arabia, but they can conquer Anatolia instead due to the lack of Byzantium.

What will be the religious situation though? Zoroastrianism would reign in Persia, but who knows if Greece, Celtia and Carthage would have converted to Christianity? That was all Roman doing. Perhaps none of them are Christian, but some Carthaginian and Greek cities have already converted, and the European spawns make Christianity dominant.

Then again, without Rome the Euro spawns wouldn't be the same. It's an awful lot to think about. Sorry for being indecisive in my ramblings. :lol:

Well, that's mostly a pet peeve of mine :p I've always though that the Greek Civilization should be split into Athens and Macedon. But, I digress.

I LOVE speculation about stuff like this.
I would say no Christianity, that was mostly Roman. Maybe Phoenician Mythos vs. Roman Mythos and Druidism?

I love Alternate Histories, and I am looking forward to play those scenarios.

Back in original RFC I once make a small scenario for myself, turning the map
to an "Ice Age" style, with most of the northern hemisphere covered in ice, and some new lands were created as the seas froze. It results in unique world. The Middle Eastern civs and Indians were the powers instead of Europe. etc.

In RFC DoC, I sometimes buff up Mongolian AI so that they are able to steam roll North Africa and Europe, the resulting conditions were also unique.

...and sometimes, AI Sunset Invasion :lol:

I will not add any new civ slot, but I will probably add Celtic cities to make things trickier for England.

Do you think the Alexandrian empire should exist as it did at its peak albeit extremely unstable? Or maybe a mega-Persian empire? Or coexistence Greece and Persia?

I will probably code in conditional spawns for the Moors, Seljuks, and Mughals to take this scenario into account.

Also, I have learned to mod (and am still very much learning) in Python class, which is one of my two high school electives for this year.

I think the Alexandrian Empire should be at its height.

I dunno. The Alexandrian Empire collapsed really quickly, and it would have with or without Rome. Greece should be stuck in Greece, Persia can rule the Middle East.

Cathrage wins the punic wars:
This means that the cathraginian empire exists instead of the roman. Byzantines are a split from Cathrage, the apostolic palaces is built in Cathrage. Celts (who will be the French) build the Celtic empire in France and Britain. Holy Rome will be Holy Cathrage. Byzantium will be the North Cathragian Empire.

Byzantium (or Cathrage/Rome) and Persia ally against Arabs: Arabs will conquer Ethiopia, Magadaskar, generally east Africa and India. Moors will spawn in South Africa. Malinese spawn christian and Congoles islamic. Seljuks invade Russia instead of middle east and spread zoroastrianism instead of Islam.

East asian colonial empires: China is divided in North Dynasty (Jing empire) and south dynasty (Song empire). Mongols, Jings, Songs, Koreans, Japanese, Indonesians and Thais build colonial empires:
*Mongols build an empire which extend from Siberia to Russia (replace the Russians).
*Japan replaces England (they get conquerors against 3 French cities)
*Song replaces France (they get conquerors against 1 Spanish city)
*Jing replaces Spain (they get a settler in England, England doesn't spawn).
*Koreans replace Portugal: They get conquerors against Sanaa, Congo, Corunia/Santiago, Nitharos, Jerusalem, Brest and Rome (or Cathrage if the first scenario is implemented).
*Thais replace Netherlands: Control five wine resources by 1775 AD.
*Indonesians replace holy rome: Do nothing :lol:.
*Incas and Brazilians switch roles. (Peruvians spawn on 1850 AD and Brazilians are the poor indians that are discovered by the caravels).
*Prussia spawns in Indonesia in 1700AD. On spawn Prussian become the "indonesians" and Indonesians the "Austrians" :lol: (HRE is the German in this scenario).
*Spain doesn't spawn. France controls both France and Spain instead. (And replaces China in scenario terms).

A great alternative history scenario is if the Incas or Aztecs get Polynesian sea navigating technology and use that to invade the old world.

I propose a super-aggressive Poland AI and a passive Prussia and Russia. (I know it's a bit cliche)

If you want Greece alive will Byzantines spawn?
Will Arabs spawn just to be beaten by the Byzantine/greek-Persian alliance?

First things that come to my mind:
Moors conquer Spain
Moors pass through the "Marca Hispánica" and conquer France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marca_Hispanica
Buddists crusades of the Khmer empire against China.
Babylonia conquer Egypt.

Or Egypt conquering Greece and Rome, as I have done. There are just too many possibilities, and any of them can be achieved in DoC. I always looked at RFC as an alternative historical game anyhow, it just sets up the game historically and you manipulate it at your will.

So for 500 AD, I have come to the conclusion that Carthage will be alive, albeit unstable, and it would control Carthage, most of North Africa, Phoenicia, Southern Spain, and Southern Italy. I will then have to insert a conditional check for the Moors.

For the Eastern Mediterranean, I will probably have Selucid Perisa and Ptolmead (Indy) Egypt will have split off from Greece, but Greece would control the rest and have its capital at Babylon. Like Phoenicia, it would be very unstable.

City ideas:
Carthage: Would have a lot of population and most buildings. The wonders that it would have would be: the Great Cothon and the Apostolic Palace. Greece and Carthage would both be Orthodox. Maybe the Euros' state religion would be the religion of the AP resident?

More to come later, I will edit the ideas in.

Top Bottom