1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does society exist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Dec 8, 2011.

?

Is society real?

1. Society is real

82.5%
  2. Society is fake

2.5%
  3. Linking arms is violent force

15.0%
  1. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Why does this have to be a concious policy?

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.

And I said, this is a palaeontological question, not an anthropological one. Human social groupings are, in the most general sense, something that we've inherited from our evolutionary ancestors, not something that emerged without our own history.

2. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Habit; something started that continues without reason.

Inherited; something we keep doing without reason.

3. Traitorfish

Ok, if that's how you are using the terms. But what implications does this actually have for the study- or change- of human society?

4. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Yes, that's what I meant, hence the quotation marks. Dawkins calls it a misfiring set of genes or something, that fortunately make it possible for humans to exist in large groups and to feel socially connected with people beyond their immediate family or a circle of friends.

5. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

Do I exist as a temporal being in a four-dimensional world? Are those past and future me-s the same me or part of my being as present me? Or are they just the collection of me-s my present me is gathering into the one big but momental illusion to help it orient itself and make a small step of act in the needed direction before dissappearing in time irretrievably?

6. JonBonham

JonBonham Chieftain

Well it's both a collection of wood and screws but in a way that makes it a chair, which is what we decide to call this particular formation of wood and screws. So yeah, exactly what you said.

7. Traitorfish

But that's my question- is it that humans were "designed", for want of a better word, for a single social context, and our adaptability is an "unintentional" bonus, or was the adaptability the "design" itself? Anthropologists have already recognised that humans are remarkably plastic creatures, and Dawkin's tendency towards genetic reductionism doesn't gel very well with how human beings are actually understood in that field. It tends to raise more questions than it answers.

I would say that you only meaningfully exist as a temporal being. Conciousness is something that happens, not just something that is, and a human being frozen in time, and so without conciousness, is really nothing more than an elaborate collection of atoms.

8. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Yeah, society exists.

Not in any politically significant way :)

9. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Adaptation is changing or the cause of change in human society. Do you not agree that while most people have a goal, the daily, mundane life is done out of habit?

Would you be so kind as to explain this to one, President Barack Obama?

10. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

That's because every moment you feel as if there were something more than this exact moment. But if I am a temporal being why am I not a being longer and deeper in time than just my personal me moments? My life is only the moment of the life of my species and the Life on Earth. The way my present personal me is defined by infinite momental me-s of the past and is driven by their impulse, the same way my overall temporal me, my life is fully to the last moment of it defined by evolutional and historical chain of countless lifes of organisms preceding me. Is there any meaning or drive in my life at all if taken from the context of this chain?

11. galdre

galdre Emperor

Society is simply a collection of people, so no, it doesn't exist on its own

12. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Society certainly exists from an economic standpoint. Specialization of labor, trade, commerce, economies of scale, etc, in a society produce a much better standard of living than just a bunch of subsistance farmers and gatherers.

13. Traitorfish

No. I think that for the vast majority, the basic terms of daily life expresses a set of external constraints. What habits exist, exist within those externally-enforced terms. When those constraints are removed, in one way or another, daily life is necessarily modified as a result.

Arguably not, insofar as your individual conciousness is necessarily developed within the context set by all that has preceded you. But your conciousness will only continue to exist within that context- itself something which develops over time- so attempting to abstract it out of that context is a purely academic exercise.

14. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

If there wasn't a society, then I wouldn't really be here.

To argue that would be a foolish denial.

15. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Now that's the most interesting question raised this whole thread.

16. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Would that imply that society is based on a known need?

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

We use "society" to describe something. The term isn't very interesting if it's not describing something that exists.

18. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

mine wasn't? :(

19. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

I think this question could also be asked from a pragmatic standpoint: Does someone give their life more value or purpose if they dedicate themselves to improving society? Does such a goal in one's life benefit them? Does it even benefit society?

20. Narz

Narz keeping it real

There are many societies. Certainly a group of individuals is more than the sum of it's parts.