Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

Well, an odd choice but still decent imho. She did her best at preserving her dynasty and arguably her diplomatic skill were really good since she managed to convince Anthony to agree to the Donations of Alexandria. Sure she lost to Augustus in the end but there's a really long list of great people who got bested by him.
Hope we can see her leaderscreen soon. I'm slightly worried about her after the quite Nubian looking depiction she received in Civilization: Revolutions.

Also on the subject of her being a Greek. The ethnicity of a ruler barely mattered in the pre-modern world since the concept of nations didn't exist yet. There were dozens of rulers from all periods in history who ruled kingdoms and empire even though their ethnicity was completely different from that of their subjects.
The Ptolemies were Greeks sure, but that didn't stop them from being rulers of Egypt. If you look at their propaganda it's obvious they were clever enough to appeal to both their Greek and Egyptian subjects. Propaganda directed at their Greek subjects showed them as heirs of Alexander the Great. Propaganda directed at their Egyptian subjects showed them as Pharaohs. They worshipped both Zeus, Dionysos and the other Olympians as well as Osiris, Isis, Ra and the Egyptian gods. They also adopted clearly Egyptian customs like incestuous marriages within the dynasty quite early.

If we decide to stick to modern concepts of nationality with the leader choices we might as well throw out Catherine the Great since she has not a drop of Russian blood in her, Alexander would be unacceptable if you support the Athenian point of view on Macedonians, Elisabeth shouldn't rule England since the Tudors were of Welsh origins and so on.

I wonder what kind of appearance they'll give her, apart from the "beautiful" bit. From what history I've read and archeological findings I've seen, she's supposed to be paler and less "cute" (and less swervy in figure) than in Civ IV or Civ Rev, with more classical Greek features. And quite the nose too.

I wonder what kind of appearance they'll give her, apart from the "beautiful" bit. From what history I've read and archeological findings I've seen, she's supposed to be paler and less "cute" (and less swervy in figure) than in Civ IV or Civ Rev, with more classical Greek features. And quite the nose too.

There can be only one proper depiction of Cleopatra. :p

Spoiler :

She will have a long nose and a curvy head. A nice look generally is what made them choose her :lol:

Cleopatra is a nice name, btw. It fits the Egypt.

It has the potential to be an interesting choice if the AI personality fits and works. If these leader agendas are as big and as influential on a game as they're made out to be, then I'm all for a historically dubious leader choice that's interesting to play against. Civ isn't supposed to be a historical Lifetime Achievement Award reflecting the best of the past, but rather a game with interesting and varied play styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm expecting her depiction to be something like Theodora but with Egyptian trappings.

I think they're trying to diversify the playstyle of every Civ...
She's famous, she's a leader of Egypt and she would make for a very unique personality among the leaders...

I loved that we got Cleopatra and loved how different those 3 leaders, that we know of, are.
I think they add to the whole "play with the hand you're dealt" thing that Firaxis is going for in Civ 6.
Cleo is right beside you? Better focus on some unit's production...

Some of the things that were said/read yesterday indicate that they are trying to get different leaders and playstyles from the Civ V version. So Egypt is now militaristic rather than Wonder-hoarding. China is now Wonder-hoarding rather than militaristic.

I'm curious to see what non-Elizabeth, non-naval England and what non-Isabella, non-exploration Spain they come up with. I suppose Spain will finally be religious, but with what leader?

I'm curious to see what non-Elizabeth, non-naval England and what non-Isabella, non-exploration Spain they come up with. I suppose Spain will finally be religious, but with what leader?

Do we know that Lizzy and Izzy won't be the leaders and those won't be England and Spain's foci, or is that just speculation?

So now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm actually fine with them going in this direction for Egypt. Sure, it's not my personal preference, but Egypt is one of my favorite civilizations both in and out of game. And if I know that I can potentially have Cleopatra standing at my side because I've managed to impress her with my army size (... Wow, that has the potential to sound terrible), then that works for me. Better than Isabella or Montezuma whom I know will always hate me, just as they always have since Civ IV.

Also, as a side note, can I finally play a game of Civ without Montezuma or Isabella in it? In the last 100 games I've played both of them were ALWAYS there.

Some of the things that were said/read yesterday indicate that they are trying to get different leaders and playstyles from the Civ V version. So Egypt is now militaristic rather than Wonder-hoarding. China is now Wonder-hoarding rather than militaristic.

For England industrial and militaristic come to mind. The militaristic part could be both medieval oriented with longbowmen, renaissance with Cromwell's new model army or modern with Spitfires, Harriers or Challenger tanks. Industrial would make sense since England was the home of the industrial revolution.

Spain could be a religion, culture or maybe warfare oriented civs. Maybe give them the Jinetes as a UU or maybe Knights of Santiago.

It has the potential to be an interesting choice if the AI personality fits and works.

In fact, I think this is a huge factor and main criteria why would actually devs. choose those, not the other leaders. They will look for a fitting personality that fits and balances the gameplay with other leaders etc.

There can be only one proper depiction of Cleopatra. :p

Spoiler :

There's no denying it, she does have a pretty nose.

Hatshepsut also was my first choice, but to be honest I'm not automatically disgusted by the choice, the Ptolemaic period is also part of Egyptian history, and its achievements are part of Civ since ever, (Great Lighthouse, and Great Library or Alexandria), and of all the Ptolemaic rulers wasn't she the only one who spoke Egyptian and was declared Isis? I would be more annoyed if the Egyptian leader was Ptolemy, but Cleopatra? not really.

Now I am a bit worried that they are going to push the sexy in an obvious way as opposed to a subtle way, if you know what I mean.

We'll have to wait and see.

Just for help us to know what we should wait, let's see the previous Cleopatra's appearances in Civilization:
Spoiler :
(Civilization II)
(Civilization Revolution)
(Civilization Online)

Oh God...

Moderator Action: Please say something substantive. This sort of post is just spam.

Top Bottom