1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

European Union Consider Going the Way of Germany...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amenhotep7, Jan 17, 2005.

?

What do you think an EU ban on Nazi symbols would be?

1. Good

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Bad

27 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. Unnecessary/Redundant. Banning the symbols doesn't stamp out the evil.

37 vote(s)
    46.8%
  1. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

A copy of the Jan. 13 front page of The Sun newspaper in Britain shows Prince Harry wearing a swastika and an army shirt with Nazi regalia at a friend's party.

EU ban on Nazi symbols: good, bad, or redundant?

2. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

'Ah gots one voter and no posters. :hmm: :p :crazyeye: :hammer:

3. Japher

Japher Voted for Bush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

To keep with freedom of religion; if they ban the swastika they should ban all other religious symbols.

4. AmericanGeneral

AmericanGeneral Chieftain

redundant, freedom of expression is freedm of expression, whether its bad or good,

why suppress choice?

5. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

We should not ban the symbols, because then we don't know who to keep an eye on. Nazis will be forced to go underground where they can't be controlled. Imagine if the BNP turned into an underground terrorist militia? (and I use "imagine" and "turned into" loosely...)

6. Yom

Yom Re-ese Mekwanint

It's redundant, and it shouldn't be banned.

7. AmericanGeneral

AmericanGeneral Chieftain

freedoom of religion, banning religious symbols, is it me or is that comical? thats just equal SUPPRESSION of religion, like i always say, equality isnt the same as freedom.

either way a ban is only suppression.

8. Billy Rubin

Billy Rubin breakdown product of HB

The German federal office for the protection of the constitution spends lots of efforts and money to identify neonazis - most would be dumb enough to show their sick ideology deliberately by wearing swastikas and they even come up with workarounds - so what's the point in banning the symbol? It just keeps dangerous morons from showing what they are.

I understand that survivors of nazi-terror shouldn't be confronted with the symbols associated with their torture in Germany, but they die away and as they do, I'd say to go the opposite way and liberalise the laws in Germany. If anyone wants to show the world that he's a diehard a**hole, let him - keeping him from doing so wont change his mind and at least you know what you're confronted with without a doubt.

9. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

Perhaps a ban on royalty children to wear bad replicas of Africa-Korps uniforms woud be more useful ;)

10. Gladi

Gladi The ignored thread killer

Bright day
    NO. We need to remember.

11. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic

It's unnecesary, it will not do anything good. We let the extreme left keep there own symbols visible, why should it be any different from the extreme right. no offence meant to anyone, and i don't care do they ban them one way or the other. Since, i am not a nazi.

12. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

You start limitiing people's freedom of expression, you will have more resentment towards the government, which is worse than a few people wearing a symbol of hate.

13. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Nazi symbols are already banned in my country and we don't have any problems with that. Nazism was evil that destroyed our country and killed 300,000 of our people and in fact caused another 40 years of communist rule after "liberation" by the Red Army.

It also killed millions of Europeans so I don't see any reason to tolerate it anymore.

But it is true we need to learn children what it was and what it did rather than banning it without giving a reason.

14. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

A clarification:
    Swastikas are not banned in Germany. It's the glorification of Nazi symbols that's banned. You find them in history books, historical documentary movies, 'quality Hollywood movies' or technical museums without any problems. If you want to paint a Swastika on your aircraft modell, feel free to do so.
    Swastikas (and other Nazi symbols, like the SS runes) are only banned where it absolutely makes sense:
    1) Toys. They are not supplied with modells, and are not supposed to be in video games or movies for minors. Still, if they happen to be in (like in several StarTrek: Voyager episodes), this isn't illegal unless someone feels offended and goes to court.
    2) Political Parties. No, this doesn't make it more difficult to recognize Neonazis; their symbols are easy enough to see (LoNSDAle t-shirts, the number '88' etc).

That jerk's costume obviously falls in category 1), not 2).
    It should also be noted that the ban for movies isn't handled as strictly anymore; scenes with swatikas are hardly censored today (unless the movie glorifies the Nazis, of course). A good example for that is that those Voyager episodes were aired uncut, while the classical Original Series episode with Kirk in SS uniform is still classified.

Yes, I'm all for it to ban using Swastikas as a joke.

15. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

It is the same here.

16. Juka The Dumb

Juka The Dumb Prince

no.
    just like a muslim woman should be able to wrap her head in a towel if they want to,a 7 foot skinhead named daisy should be able to show off his crap..oh,and harry too :)

17. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Ridiculous. Freedom of expression is freedom of expression, period.

18. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Wearing an swastika is like pissing on the grave of 40 millions people killed by those bastards who did wear it at first.

19. Seanirl

Seanirl U-Boat Commander

Pfft. Ever realise the complete irony of the whole thing?

By suppressing symbols and **** certain ideologies, they're going like Goebbels and the rest of them.

The irony of it all...

I mean, come on! wake the **** up! next they'll be banning all opposition parties...

historical documentary movies

Yet they're banned in games? Strange...

Moderator Action: Warned for language
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

20. Juka The Dumb

Juka The Dumb Prince

yeah,repressing freedom of speech would be like turning the eu into cfc. :lol: