• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Evolution?

Which is the first of these that you disagree with?

• Total voters

Chandrasekhar

Determined
I'm tired of people saying "I believe in evolution!" or "I don't believe in evolution!" The theory of evolution can be broken up into several points, all of which rely on the points before it. I intend this poll to determine to what degree people believe in evolution.

The first statement is that organisms adapt through successive generations by the mechanism of natural selection. This seems like a given to me, as it can actually be seen with simple laboratory equipment. Still, to each his own. I'd say that denying this statement is akin to denying that the Earth is round.

The second statement is that many modern species share common descendents, many of which are extinct. Given the long timeframe at which evolutionary forces act, this might be up for some small debate. If you believe (as many medieval priests and philosophers did) that God made all the organisms on Earth as they are today, and that only minor variations are possible, then option two is for you. Darwin's trip to the Galapagos Islands led him to put forward this statement, and there is the fossil record to support it. Again, to each his own. I expect that some will disagree with this one.

The third statement is that humanity itself shares common ancestors with many animals (namely, primates). Here's where I expect the most opposition to show up. The major religions seem to have their own explanations for how Man came to be, and I'm not aware of any that mention monkeys. Of course, Y-chromosome tracking does show that all of humanity shares a common ancestor, but this ancestor was far too early to be the Bible's Adam, and he was himself descended from creatures that were themselves not human.

The fourth statement is that all life on Earth shares a common ancestor. Though there probably aren't many that would agree with the above statement while disagreeing with this one, I'm including it for the sake of completeness.

The fifth option is for those that are in complete agreement with all of the aspects of the theory of evolution as it is most commonly recognized. I place myself in this category.

Should not option 5 be "all of the above", rather than none, if it's agreeing with the theory of evolution? I think this needs an option 6, "disagree with all" - and to be multiple-choice.

Sophie 378 said:
Should not option 5 be "all of the above", rather than none, if it's agreeing with the theory of evolution? I think this needs an option 6, "disagree with all" - and to be multiple-choice.
Disagreeing with any of them naturally means that you disagree with those below it. So, selecting the first option means that you disagree with all. Selecting the last option means that you agree with all. Was I not clear enough on that?

I don't like the notion that I descended from an ape.

I dont like the notion that we cannot go faster than light but there we are. Despite my protests that I dislike compound interest my bank doesnt give a dam.

So, your personal distaste for a scientific theory means that you discard it as inaccurate?

Masq - I did, just not carefully enough. :mischief:

I never said any thing about accuracies, I said I was not a fan of the theory's notion that humans descended from apes. Please don't put words into my mouth.

I never said any thing about accuracies, I said I was not a fan of the theory's notion that humans descended from apes. Please don't put words into my mouth.
Sorry, but if all you say on a thread about evolution is that you don't like part of the theory, the assumption follows fairly naturally that you don't believe it because of personal dislike.

My disagreement with Evolution is that species can mutate into a separate species. If this is truly a separate species, then it would be unable to mate with the original species. And unless this is a mutation that happens across virtually an entire generation (which defies the very meaning of mutation), the separate species would die out.

To paraphrase Churchill's statement on democracy, "Evolution is a terrible scientific theory. But it's better than all the others."

My disagreement with Evolution is that species can mutate into a separate species. If this is truly a separate species, then it would be unable to mate with the original species. And unless this is a mutation that happens across virtually an entire generation (which defies the very meaning of mutation), the separate species would die out.

To paraphrase Churchill's statement on democracy, "Evolution is a terrible scientific theory. But it's better than all the others."

Technically, to evolve into a different species doesn't mean 1 creature evolves into the new species. Communities themselves evolve, as they are separated and then they go their own genetic paths.

This is an interesting place to make your stand. I'm fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong, here) that evolution happens more to a community than to individuals. Community a has a random mutation in one of its members, and if that mutation is good for survival, it is spread throughout the community. Several mutations happen in this way, until community a is substantially different from community b. Meanwhile, community b is going through its own series of mutations, but as they have no contact with community a, they continue to diverge. Eventually, organisms from community a and community b can no longer produce viable offspring.

Edit: Erm, yeah, I should have guessed that someone else would make a more concise response.

But speciation has been observed (e.g., see http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html for some examples). My understanding is that speciation doesn't have to be caused by mutation.

I'm agnostic toward evolution. I really don't know where diversity of species came from. Evolution is one theory and maybe its true, but we can't say for sure.

Option 5, any biology class will make it quite clear evolution is indeed quite a fine theory.

Top Bottom