[RD] Exploring Japan

You lack of eating is disturbing !
Anthony bourdain made the robot restraunt a new must see landmark every since it got rave reviews from him, I love the fact they still using metal chains to protect the performers

Did it really? When I did my research everybody basically said "Do not go there for the food" (so I didn't)
But yeah, for what it costs it's fun and worth seeing. It was also very easy to get to from my hotel so it was kind of a no brainer

No do not eat any of the food there, its famous for the robot show only. (unless you are really drunk)
There are plenty of excellent restaurants just outside.

Ramen

After the crazy robot show it was time for dinner. I was jetlagged and still tired, but I did ahead of time decide on a restaurant that seemed to come recommended as one of the best establishments serving ramen in town. The walk there took me through the flashy streets of Shinjuku

This was actually my second ever time eating ramen. I settled on a very standard order

One interesting thing I noticed on the menu was that if you are a woman you can get a free collagen ball with your order. I will leave it to your own devices to research this, if you want to know more.

One interesting thing I noticed on the menu was that if you are a woman you can get a free collagen ball with your order. I will leave it to your own devices to research this, if you want to know more.

Japanese konjac ?
I have never seen this, but its for dieting and health but why would women only get it for free ?

Japanese konjac ?
I have never seen this, but its for dieting and health but why would women only get it for free ?

Men did not have the option of even ordering this thing. From what I've been able to decipher collagen is something women in Japan (and elsewhere) use as a health supplement. I'm still a bit confused though because on some sites they talk about women rubbing this stuff on their skin. But on others it's mentioned that this is protein-based thing like jelly that you eat. So I pretty much left it at "I don't understand but moving on"

It's under "toppings" so you'd think you eat it.. but..

Last edited:
Day 3 - Tonkatsu

The first thing of note to happen on my 2nd full day in the country was lunch. I found a restaurant that specializes in tonkatsu, which is a panko crusted deep fried pork cutlet. It wasn't an especially fancy restaurant, just a random eatery I found in one of the many underground walkways in Shinjuku.. What first drew me to the place was the fact that they have pork cutlets with melted cheese inside...

Turns out if you want to order the cheese cutlet you first have to order a full meal, and order the cheese cutlet as a side. Thankfully I was willing to do that

You might remember that I had tonkatsu the day before this.. but that one came with a twist.. you poured green tea into a bowl with other ingredients to create a new dish.. here the tonkatsu was presented in a more traditional fashion.. although the cheese cutlet (waiting for me in the distance in the photo) is probably not especially traditional

This was a really good meal. Especially the cheese filled cutlet. It was amazing. I came back to this place a couple more times throughout my stay in Shinjuku

Tonkatsu is traditionally served with Tonkatsu sauce (Japanese worcestershire sauce), and I think that's what you're looking at on the right. There's also shredded cabbage, rice, a vegetable salad, and I believe some fermented cabbage. The order also came with a bowl of miso soup and a drink that is not water but is also not beer.

I also seem to remember a 2nd sauce. One I was told to pour over the tonkatsu and the other one was for dipping. But I couldn't tell you much more than that. Research tells me that Ponzu sauce is also sometimes served with tonkatsu, but you can assume that's a pure guess

Last edited:
Tokyo National Museum

After lunch I took the subway to Ueno Park and visited the Tokyo National Museum. It is the oldest national museum in Japan, the largest art museum in Japan, and one of the largest art museums in the world.

I spent several hours at the museum, wandering around exhibits, and I don't really know how much I covered.. but here are some of the more interesting things I saw:

There was an extensive collection of Japanese caligraphy, dating back as far as the 12th century (and possibly earlier, although the one above is not that old).

Tokyo National Museum (continued)

I wish I could tell you guys more about the images I am posting about. While I was there I basically walked through large parts of the museum, reading various plaques, displays, and looking at all the interesting artefacts. I read a lot about Japanese history during this time, but of course now 3 years later it's not really feasible to comment on individual artefacts with any sort of authority. So I won't even try. But I am including some more information for some of the images I am posting so you at least have some context for what you are looking at

Ueno Park

Right by the entrance of the Tokyo National Museum is a handy storage device where my umbrella was waiting for me.

The musem is in Ueno Park, which is in Ueno district, one of the two districts in the Taitō ward. Ueno Park is Japan's most popular city park and gets over 10 million visitors a year.

The park is fairly large and as the following map will show you is right beside a fairly busy transit hub. It's very accessible, whether you want to go to a museum on a rainy day (like I did) or walk around the park when the weather's nice. There's also a zoo, several other museums, a school of art, a school of music, the first western-style concert hall in the country, and several other buildings with cultural significance.

Here's a shot of the Tokyo National Museum building (the one I was in) from the outside:

It was a beautiful park and I made a note to myself to come back here when the weather was a bit better

I wish I could tell you guys more about the images I am posting about. While I was there I basically walked through large parts of the museum, reading various plaques, displays, and looking at all the interesting artefacts. I read a lot about Japanese history during this time, but of course now 3 years later it's not really feasible to comment on individual artefacts with any sort of authority. So I won't even try. But I am including some more information for some of the images I am posting so you at least have some context for what you are looking at

I like how you took photos of the descriptions, its very German like (super documentation)
Well in case of a zombie outbreak in Tokyo I know where to rush to to get hold of a Naginata

Oh, the bottom one is very pretty. I'm not a fan of the green water in the top one, though.

I like how you took photos of the descriptions, its very German like (super documentation)

With so much media acquired on each one of my trips, I've tried to get in a habit of photographing signs, plaques, and other such things so that years later when I am looking through the photos, I can easily figure out what I was doing there, where exactly it is, etc. I wish I took more photos of the plaques in this museum actually, I only got a couple of the more interesting artefacts. I was too mesmerized by everything I was looking at, most of it did not even get photographed

With so much media acquired on each one of my trips, I've tried to get in a habit of photographing signs, plaques, and other such things so that years later when I am looking through the photos, I can easily figure out what I was doing there, where exactly it is, etc. I wish I took more photos of the plaques in this museum actually, I only got a couple of the more interesting artefacts. I was too mesmerized by everything I was looking at, most of it did not even get photographed
I felt the same way in Beijing Museums. So much very cool and interesting stuff. Totally overwhelming.

Day 4 - Yomiuri Giants Baseball

The Yomiuri Giants are the oldest and probably most popular professional sports team in Japan. They are named after a media conglomerate, but are sometimes (incorrectly) referred to as the Tokyo Giants in English media. Fans of the team refer to them as "Kyojin", the Japanese word for "Giants".

They play at the Tokyo Dome (aka "The Big Egg"), which in its baseball configuration has a capacity of 45,000. It has an air supported flexible membrane roof that's held up by slightly higher pressure inside the stadium..

Tokyo Dome is a part of a larger entertainment complex known as Tokyo Dome City, which includes a rollercoaster, amusement park, and even a horse racing track. I really wanted to ride the rollercoaster, but unfortunately it was closed at the time.

The game I was there to watch pitted the local Yomiuri Giants vs the nearby Yokohama DeNa BayStars. The stadiums of these two teams are about an hour apart (by train or car)

It was interesting for me to walk around the stadium before the game and take in the Japanese approach to baseball. I am not a huge fan of the sport, but I have watched enough to notice some of the different approaches here. Also a lot of similarities

Last edited:
Such a cool thread!

Collagen is basically organic jelly that's in the skin and nails and hair and joints and there's a butt-ton beauty creams that have it and it's suppose to keep those things healthy and makes wrinkles go away.

Top Bottom