Fall 2017 Update Info

Interesting. I like to go for religious games. I hope they buff all beliefs a bit with this patch and make it more useful in general as well.

You're concept of what 'dev' means is pretty archaic, and somewhat childish. The 'dev team'
There is a huge difference between a developer and an auxiliary unit in the dev team fetching pizza.
Somewhat childish? Let's not start. I agree she is at least in the right building but do not mistake a donkey for a racehorse.
I work with developers for a living and while they are not my favourite people we at least ally against project managers and the like.
TBH, they will never let an honest dev near the press, I am not surprised.

So the patch makes religious combat even more like regular combat?

I'm not sure this game needs identical gameplay mechanics for different game aspects. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

I would like to see combat, trade and religion have distinct gameplay mechanics.

Well, for the sake of optimism, they are adding new beliefs. Perhaps they will add a few that are strong enough to actually make religion worth going for.

And hopefully they'll improve coastal cities enough that it will make people want to be there to enjoy the naval changes. ;)

And hopefully they'll improve coastal cities enough that it will make people want to be there to enjoy the naval changes. ;)

Maybe they could bring back the coastal fortress? City centre building with a 3-hex ranged attack over water only?

There is a huge difference between a developer and an auxiliary unit in the dev team fetching pizza.
Somewhat childish? Let's not start. I agree she is at least in the right building but do not mistake a donkey for a racehorse.
I work with developers for a living and while they are not my favourite people we at least ally against project managers and the like.
TBH, they will never let an honest dev near the press, I am not surprised.

no, she doesn't just fetch pizza. That was more of a colloquialism catchall for 'does all my work AND catches some of the small stuff that no one else does'.

Thinking that the people who make the plans and help ensure things get done 'aren't part of the team' is disingenuous at best. Different industries have different issues, but for gaming, adn since we're talking about Firaxis specifically, once you get past a few people in team size, let alone where you now have 6+ separate teams working on the same code base, you need people to help guide the project. They are just as much part of the 'dev' as someone who programs, does art or QAs.

Well, for the sake of optimism, they are adding new beliefs. Perhaps they will add a few that are strong enough to actually make religion worth going for.

The only thing that make religion worth it for me, is Theocracy. By the medieval era I don't produce units anymore

Maybe they could bring back the coastal fortress? City centre building with a 3-hex ranged attack over water only?
Cities in general should just be harder to take from water without ground support. Maybe a harsh negative modifier is enough? (Or, make that modifier based on if there is a land unit close) OR Naval units can only sack cities, and 1 pop cities just barely yield any loot.

I personally think they should make religious units more expensive and stronger, but also make all religious units to have ZOC against other religious units. In this way we would avoid the spamming problem and we would have less situations where religious units block normal units.

aren't part of the team' is disingenuous at best.
I never said they are not part of the team, I am saying she is no dev
Disingenuous at best? Not nice at all considering you called @Gort childish as well
She is an analyst like me
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-darney-578b6b35
Like me she does not code, we can read it a bit, do some basics but its not our role.... we do completely different roles to a dev, you may say even we are at odds with developers, they are about speed, we are about safety, managers are about money
If there was a sniff of dev about her, it would be on her profile, its a more respected role.

They are just as much part of the 'dev' as someone who programs, does art or QAs
Correct, neither art or qa is anything to do with a devs.(programmers)...You speak as if you work in a large project team like me... but your argument is all wrong.... do you work in software projects?... no

Last edited:
I guess religious combat is supposed to be a passive alternative to outright war, Warrior monks are still in the realm of combat and require a belief, gurus are medics for religious units. ZOC between religious units should theoretically slow missionary spam.

A producer would be something different than an analyst in my experience (at least how titled in places I worked). She'd be more akin to a product manager, often help determining and detailing what aspects get implemented, probably doing UAT and the like.

However I think this is just semantics - the original context was whether she was part of the 'dev team' in terms of writing something like a 'developer diary' that Paradox does. I.e. detailing the specific changes and reasoning for them. Versus the current role in 'marketing' which has the stereotype of being more 'distant' from those sorts of things, to say the least. I'd say, as a producer, she'd be well able to do the former. She definitely would not be a 'developer' writing code. And I say this as a developer, though one very far from this particular arena.

Anyways, this made me google Ed Beach's linked in profile. I didn't realize he was the AI programmer for Civ 5 Vanilla. I don't know what I think about that.

no @bbbt - the original post called childish was gort saying he wanted from a dev, not a "dev team" member... lets not even go there.

It's like they know we actually want to hear from the game devs, but they still shove a marketing manager out to say the words.

Can't wait to see what new and interesting bugs the patch will bring.

:mischief:

How about refocusing on the Fall patch update info itself again, eh?

:grouphug:

Personally I see some good things and I would like to ask every "complainer" here what they have expected? Maybe it's more a problem of expectation management on your side? :king:

I would assume that the religious unit spam might deteriorate - the Warrior monk seems to be linked to a certain belief so my guess is only ONE religion can get them... And if they overhauled religion in general why are you so sure they haven't adressed the general problems there?

Concerning Navy: YEAH! Finally! I'm not naive, so I'm quite sure AI will still not be THAT much of a challenge but it's good they're enhancing it's capabilities. Personally I won't refrain totally from settling near the coast anyways (space available and roleplaying reasons)

AI will improve (Yes, just not as much as you want it to!), balance might get better and hopefully they will kill a lot of the bugs they established with the last patch... :rolleyes:

Let's hope they won't give modders another tough game this time around.

Let's hope they fix that huge fail bug that you can't get your original cities in peace treaties back (currently they count as occupied rendering them as useless).

Naval city siege is totally OP currently with ships ignoring city walls. They are catapults (bombards) on steroids. Something needs to be done here to help with city defenses.

Top Bottom