Feds vs Farmer

Who are you siding with here?

• Feds

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Farmer

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
"Market milk" usually has lower fat percentage too that decreases it's taste (but can be much better satured fat wise). I love my own fresh milk (also selling like 25-40 liters per day via milk-truck) but it has 3,5-4,0% fat. I could seperate fat part ("cream"?) using mechanical centrifuge device and still sell "market milk" from same milk. But few neighbours that sometimes buy some milk and eggs likes it "fat" too.

I think it makes sense to regulate larger suppliers more than smaller suppliers, because the damage from a Black Swan is greater. And, despite the contention that downstream error is the same as upstream error, that's just not true. Downstream error is people making an error in their individual judgement (which we're allowed to do ... mostly). Upstream error is different, because signing up for "this might be safe, but there's a 0.01% chance it will kill you" isn't something that's easily waivered. It's Schroedinger's Milk, because it's consumed as if it's a probability function. But it's actually unsafe or safe before you drink it, and it's not 'user error' that can cause the damage that's being imagined (obviously, you can 'user error' milk as well).

That's ignoring the Black Swan risk, though, where a bad batch causes a massive amount of damage that cannot be compensated through tort and thus will require societal bailout.

But there are two parties whose liberties are being infringed upon. This producer got too big, and that was their choice (if the threshold is reasonable, even if arbitrary). But their customer base is also being denied a choice. Government will take away something they want, and 'the free market' might not be able to replace it.

Last edited:
When my wife and I lived in Maine many years ago, we drank fresh from the cow Jersey milk for two years and loved it. We got our jugs of it before he sent his daily output to be pasteurized. Nowadays, whole milk is too rich for my taste. I add skim to my coffee and cereal. I never drink a glass of milk by itself.

Didn't you read the top line where they filed a civil suit? The idea that there is no due process here is simply wrong. If you want to know about the evidence against them, go to the court filings and don't look for it in a press release.

The US sees fit to paywall its court judgements? I believe you'll find no luck with this one.
And it's not alone in doing that.

p r o - l i f e
The only reason I stopped drinking raw milk was that a better boutique milk came along that happened to be pasturized.

Damn feds, sticking their noses into places it doesn't belong. Buyer beware! Everybody knows that eating organic food is risky and often deadly. making people wash their hands before handling food violates their freedom of speech and the second amendment!

FDA Probing Organic Strawberries Linked to Possible Hepatitis A Outbreak
The potentially tainted fruit was sold at stores including Aldi, H-E-B, Kroger, Trader Joe’s and Walmart

Two brands of organic strawberries sold at major chains such as Trader Joe’s and Walmart may be linked to an outbreak of hepatitis A, the Food and Drug Administration said. The FDA said in a statement Saturday that it is investigating a multistate outbreak of hepatitis A infections in the U.S. and Canada that appears to be linked to fresh, organic strawberries. The potentially tainted fruit carried a FreshKampo or H-E-B label, the FDA said. Anyone who purchased those brands of berries between March 5 and April 25 and froze them for later consumption should get rid of them immediately, the agency urged.

The products were sold at stores such as Aldi, H-E-B, Kroger, Safeway and Weis Markets, along with Trader Joe’s and Walmart, the FDA said. The FDA, which is conducting its investigation along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said 17 people have been sickened thus far, with 12 hospitalizations.

“The traceback investigations show that cases in California, Minnesota, and Canada report having purchased fresh organic strawberries branded as FreshKampo or H-E-B prior to becoming ill,” the FDA said. In a
statement on its website, Texas-based H-E-B said its strawberries are safe to consume. “No illnesses from strawberries related to the FDA investigation have been reported at H-E-B or in Texas,” the company said.

“The FDA is conducting an investigation into organic strawberries sold between March 5 and April 25, 2022. H-E-B has not received or sold organic strawberries from the supplier under investigation since April 16,” H-E-B said. FreshKampo, based in Fresno, Calif., said it is working with the FDA to trace where the problem occurred. Hepatitis A is a contagious virus that in severe cases can cause liver disease. In most cases, it results in a mild illness that includes nausea, fatigue and abdominal pain.

The virus is most commonly spread through close proximity to an infected person. However, it can be contracted through food or water consumption if an infected food handler hasn’t followed proper hand-washing hygiene.

Four thousand "friends." Sheesh.

Perhaps his "friends" should be required to sign waivers saying they will not seek medical attention if they are sickened by what they purchased from their best buddy and big toe farmer. My grandparents ran a dairy farm. Drinking non-pastuerized milk is just stupid.

So who's using human crap as an organic fertilizer? Bad idea that, bad.
But I can tell you it's not that bad - though it will make your trip to Morocco or wherever it's endemic a bit... crappy. :( These people got a free vaccine and at least this one leaves behind actual immunity.

But I can tell you it's not that bad - though it will make your trip to Morocco or wherever it's endemic a bit... crappy. :( These people got a free vaccine and at least this one leaves behind actual immunity.
This case is not about fertilizer; it is about people not washing their hands before handling food for others.

If we do not reuse the nitrogen in poo we need to get it from somewhere else, which is environmentally costly one way or another. Exactly how we should be reusing it is a question, but I am sure we should be not throwing it away.

Sewage needs to be thoroughly treated before being used as a fertiliser for crops.

From time to time treatment is missing or inadequate so there is an infection outbreak amongst consumers.

It is one of the reasons why it is a good idea to wash, boil, peel vegetables etc.

Thing is people don't boil or peel strawberries, and they may eat them straight neglecting to wash them.

We live in a Society.

I like my health and safety of modern society. Businesses should not be allowed to profit by skirting these rules.. be it due to greed, or systemic belief.

Its regularly used in the UK as non-organic fertilizer.. and I would hazard everywhere else too.

Its regularly used in the UK as non-organic fertilizer.. and I would hazard everywhere else too.
It is the original organic fertilizer.

True, but you'd be hard pushed to find many organic human's now, especially in the UK.

We live in a Society.

I like my health and safety of modern society. Businesses should not be allowed to profit by skirting these rules.. be it due to greed, or systemic belief.
Farmer is selling to a private club, not "society"

Private clubs have long been resistant to change and many are still bastions of old school racism, sexism and elitism. KKK was also a "private club". Being such a club does not exempt the club from violating laws and regulations. And IIRC, to join the Miller Farms Club, all one had to do is buy product.

Upstream error is different, because signing up for "this might be safe, but there's a 0.01% chance it will kill you" isn't something that's easily waivered. It's Schroedinger's Milk, because it's consumed as if it's a probability function.

i think there must be some ethical/philosophical distinction between whether that .01% probability bakes in a practice the seller could have done (within constraints of product sold) but didn't, vs environmental factors (milk becomes lethal after distribution starts). in the latter, the risk is part of the package, and seems a lot more like a downstream error, while the former is clearly an upstream one.

Damn feds, sticking their noses into places it doesn't belong. Buyer beware! Everybody knows that eating organic food is risky and often deadly. making people wash their hands before handling food violates their freedom of speech and the second amendment!

do you actually not see important distinctions between this story and the fact pattern described in the first post?

I like my health and safety of modern society. Businesses should not be allowed to profit by skirting these rules

all fun and games until you get to the "who gets to decide" part, and that turns out to be someone you don't agree with deciding your life will get considerably worse w/o justification, in the name of "health an safety".

a key facet of the society as designed by us is individual freedom. i don't see a clear basis for stopping that, unless one is trying to infringe on the freedom of others.

yes, that means people can even do stupid things that everyone else agrees is stupid, if they want.

A private club of 4000+ people scattered across the country? Pretty much nonsense. "Private clubs" shouldn't be able to be used as a method to evade federal safety regulations.

Top Bottom