Feds vs Farmer

Who are you siding with here?

• Feds

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Farmer

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
This whole thread is really funny, mainly because it's a bunch of classically-libertarian opinions that have somehow hidden themselves in made-up food science instead. Why? There have been barely any links to actual citations of well . . . anything.
I have tried earlier. It is very hard to get comparative numbers, but this paper is saying you get much more listeria in camembert than the milk it is made from (somewhere between 5 and 100 times, I haven't read it in detail):
Spoiler Graphs of listeria growth over the process of making camembert :

And yet in your apparent fence-sitting you have repeatedly suggested it might be. Like when you said "people who eat these weird foods might end up living longer". You didn't say "they may also die earlier".
Lol, not wanting to impose on other people w some arbitrary opinion = fence sitting. ok...

LOL, you're reveling your hand as a science sceptic. Since we've checked out from reality, we may as well check out of the conversation.
Science isn't what you think it is. Science is nowhere near saying "x food is unhealthy for all under all circumstances" (or the reverse).

As long as they are humans there will be people eating all sorts of strange ways, there will be trends where some diets are undeniably better than others (in general, for any individual they have to figure that out for themselves) but to say X is unequivocally inferior for everyone is dumb.

Anyway, not sure why the milk thing is such a trigger.

Freedom to make food choices is libertarian?

Freedom to make dumb choices certain sounds libertarian. Or contraryan. Sometimes I confuse the two.

I have tried earlier. It is very hard to get comparative numbers, but this paper is saying you get much more listeria in camembert than the milk it is made from (somewhere between 5 and 100 times, I haven't read it in detail):
Spoiler Graphs of listeria growth over the process of making camembert :
I don't doubt it. But the thing about soft cheeses, aside being a known risk (among a bunch of other foodstuffs depending on preparation), is the fact that they're often heavily-scrutinised. It's why we have things like food safety laws (in the UK specifically).

Signing a waiver to drink unpasteurised milk isn't the same thing at all. It's basically "trust me bro, and tick this box to say that you do".

In general, if someone's making me sign a "don't blame me" kind of statement, it immediately makes me wonder why they have to.

Lol, not wanting to impose on other people w some arbitrary opinion = fence sitting. ok...
I'll take a false equivalence for 500, Alex.
Freedom to make food choices is libertarian?
I'll take two false equivalences for 500, Alex :D

I explained the separation between opposing government intervention and choosing to eat harmful things in the same post. You choosing not to quote it kinda demonstrates something, eh?

Freedom to make dumb choices certain sounds libertarian. Or contraryan. Sometimes I confuse the two.
I could sit and judge people all day for the choices they make (sometimes I do, that's most of this what makes this forum tick) but it's their decisions not mine.

If I ruled the world I'd tax the **** out of polluting decisions, unhealthy decisions like tobacco use, alcohol, etc. but raw milk is such a strange hill to put your little flag on.

Anyway this is getting pretty boring

Lol, not wanting to impose on other people w some arbitrary opinion
If I ruled the world I'd tax the **** out of
CEACFECA-4EDF-4499-A91A-75D303D2D33B.jpeg

Polluting decisions are imposing your will on others. The reduction thereof is obviously "imposing will", but let's not ignore that the original imposition is being done by someone else.

Polluting decisions are imposing your will on others. The reduction thereof is obviously "imposing will", but let's not ignore that the original imposition is being done by someone else.
I think that gets into an extremely complicated question of “what are rights?” and “what does it mean to own something?” I don’t have answers to those questions without resorting to expediency. :)

Yeah. I can see how it's a confusing statement. But someone saying "I don't believe in violence, I think violence should only be used to stop the violence" might trigger a weird response in some people. But it's not a weird statement.

Absolutely not. ;) Canada would arrest most of you.

He's right, though. His vision is frequently very sharp. The basic motivation is that your eating of cheese is hurting my goals, so it's protective to me to raid farmers with ar-15s to control what you eat. Just like a farmer producing food he eats himself changes the economy by allowing him to opt out of part of it, and is therefore subject to the full weight of federal power. Just looking out for ourselves, here. Like a libertarian with his pistol drawn.

Last edited:
Might... yet after years of searching they've found very little evidence. Nice read but largely clickbait and one scientist's drive to make their belief real.

You don't want to live in a milk soaked yurt??

Top Bottom