[FfH II Art Team Blog]

When I see Empyrian Vampires, I always remember these horrible Twilight romance novels for some reason. Empyrian Vampires glittering in the sunlight? :barf:

Slightly OT, but I can visualize Empyrean Vampires, they can still be dedicated to truth, justice, wisdom, and so forth, but they don't have to feed on their own people, enemies will do nicely. RoK and OO vampires I have the hardest time seeing.

Lugus isn't the kind of god who would favor feeding on rivals. He much prefers redemption to condemnation, although less so that Sirona. To him the role of punishment is to make the punished more aware of the wrongdoing so that he will learn from it and be a better person in the future. Capital punishment is to be used only in the most severe cases, when there isn't a chance the sinner would repent in life. Devouring one's soul is much worse than capital punishment, as it deprives one of the chance to be redeemed even in the afterlife (as is possible although rare even for souls processed into demons).

I tend to think that if a Vampie turned to worshiping Lugus and following his precepts he would be cured of his curse, but not before he looses all the advantages of vampirism. The vampre would have to forever cease feeding on souls to have any hope for redemption. For any vampire that has lived longer than a mortal lifespan, this probably means allowing himself to starve to death.

The Order could probably be made to accept the idea of letting vampires feed on enemies and criminals as punishment for the evildoers, but the Empyrean would never buy that.

RoK and vampires don't mix well either, but they aren't quite as incompatible as the Empyrean and the Calabim.

What is wrong with OO vampires? I can't think of anything. It is actually the religion favored most by Flauros, although I really think that should have been changed to CoE when that was added. The value of insanity would appeal to the Brujah's, who can also be upgraded from Lunatics. Mindstapling is something that the vampire aristocracy would love to use (although mechanically it is less useful now that it negate a bonus from the Governor's Manor). The bodies of victims of the vampiric ritual can probably still be made to go through the Drowning ritual (although it might require some changes in one of both ritual, as a Drown candidate usually has to be alive enough to inhale the sacred waters), and thus be more useful than ordinary skeletons. This is a dark religion that would appeal to the vampires that, unlike the other evil religions, still has a somewhat lighter side that might appeal to their chattel.

Still, all you need to do is convice eneryone that the the people you were feeding off of were beyond all hope of redemption to begin with.

I don't think followers of Lugus could be convinced. They are very good at seeing though deception, and the threashold of how iredeemable one has to be to have his very soul devoured is awfully high.

What if the vampire thruly belive that the person is beyond all hope of redeption? That and they might be aided by Esus.
[offtopic]

I added the Esus thing as an afterthought, they still might truly belive that someone can't be redeemed even for minor infractions.
This thread has gotten badly OT, we probably should move this discussion elsewhere.

That, and completely wrong thematically. I personally don't think that the Calabim should be able to follow Lugus. In my version, in addition to giving Alexis and Flauros a -100 weighting towards the Empyrean, I made NONE the UU Calabim UU for all the Empyrean UUs.
Didn't we already cover this in another thread entirely? Almost anything can be rationalized with a bit of leeway and will, or we might aswell tie a good number of civilizations down entirely, from Sheaim being Ashen Veil only to several others unable to adopt religion 'x'.
Radiant guards do make Rathas seem worse by comparison though. I think that changing Rathas to have the old War Chariot graphics (including civ specific variants, like the Dwarven ones driven by Rams) but making their drivers look like Radiant Guards would be quite nice.
What annoys me the most is that you can't upgrade to Radiant Guards once you have the prereqs. for both Champions/Vampires and Rathas. They fullfill widely different roles, yet the Radiant Guards are suddently replaced.

To not stray too far off topic; I agree. I think that simply replacing the Ratha driver with a slightly altered Radiant Guard would be more than enough, though, since I like the actual Ratha chariot. Maybe a Radiant Guard with a plume and a spear.
When I see Empyrian Vampires, I always remember these horrible Twilight romance novels for some reason. Empyrian Vampires glittering in the sunlight? :barf:
I must be the only one that know nothing about these Twilight-styled vampires. From what I hear, that's a good thing. :D
Lugus isn't the kind of god who would favor feeding on rivals. He much prefers redemption to condemnation, although less so that Sirona. To him the role of punishment is to make the punished more aware of the wrongdoing so that he will learn from it and be a better person in the future. Capital punishment is to be used only in the most severe cases, when there isn't a chance the sinner would repent in life. Devouring one's soul is much worse than capital punishment, as it deprives one of the chance to be redeemed even in the afterlife (as is possible although rare even for souls processed into demons).

[...]

The Order could probably be made to accept the idea of letting vampires feed on enemies and criminals as punishment for the evildoers, but the Empyrean would never buy that.

RoK and vampires don't mix well either, but they aren't quite as incompatible as the Empyrean and the Calabim.
[...]
I think that you are sometimes much too strict in your interpretation of the religions. I tend to imagine the religions much more like earthly religions where, while the basic premises, goals and tenents may be the same, the actual approach and practice of said faiths may vary wildly between cultures and nations.

While Lugus may seek redemption more than punishment, he -was- adamant enough to curse Alexis and the vampires. It may not have been a 'death penalty' but some may consider it a fate worse than death. It proves that while Lugus may not generally be a strict or vengeful god, he does have his 'mean streak'.

Lugus may not favor it, but I'd like to think that he'd be able to stomach it under certain circumstances, aiming for a more fullfilling state of redemption 'down the road'.
I added the Esus thing as an afterthought, they still might truly belive that someone can't be redeemed even for minor infractions.
[...]
For the paragon Empyrean, if you can't be redeemed in life, you might be able to achieve it in death. As I've come to understand it, it's pretty much a tenent of Lugus. Devouring the soul of someone prevents them from ever achieving redemption. What would constitute redemption is arguable - while Lugus seems to be a most definite 'good' God, the alignment of a civilization is only forced to neutral, suggesting a much more diverse faith than, say, Order & Junil.
This thread has gotten badly OT, we probably should move this discussion elsewhere.
I know there was a better thread where it was discussed a bit more extensively, this being mostly a thread for in-game (mechanics) consideration, but it's better than a thread dedicated to game art. :D
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=312247

well, this thread going offtopic is probably due to my laziness in posting images of the new units :) but it takes some time to set those up, which I better spend in creating new units ;)

cheers.

Just toss out some links with nothing on the other end - we'll all discuss/complain about them and still be nominally on-topic. Very little effort required on your part. :)

small update 11.o3.o9

After a long time without eye candy I present you some promotion pictures again, this time for the Mercurian Herald and Repentant Angel.

WOW awesome!!! as the only one in the FFH community who considers the Mercurians one of his fav civs :mischief: ... thanks!!!, I am assuming the one thats cut off his wings is the repentant angel. So what was the inspiration for making him look so Shaiem ish (even if he is the herald)

I might actually play the Mercs if they look like that. wow.

Top Bottom