1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum migrated to xenforo!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Thunderfall, Oct 1, 2016.

1. victyeung

victyeung Chieftain

Now my searching on old Civ4 mods can continue.:cool:

2. onmy6

onmy6 Prince

The white and grey has got to change, if one spends more than 20 minutes on here then one gets a headache, also it would be cool to have the "who's online" back again IMO anyways.

3. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

Yes, between that and postcount, there's now not a lot to use for 'sizing up' people - although making us talk to each other as equals might not be a bad thing...

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  5. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I have no idea who edited my post but thought it might be pertinent to note more generally that banned users can't send PMs in the new forum, as we are discussing bugs/features/changes.

6. IronfighterXXX

IronfighterXXX Work Hard - Play Hard

Any way to change signature below avatar now?

I really want to have more creative signature than just a 'Member' ;)

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Something I noticed: the five chars limit for posts is gone. To be honest, I don't mind losing it, I don't know how many times the ability to just answer a question with a quick "no." would have been helpful.

Two issues with that:

First, a bug: while composing this post, I first quoted yours and then Lanzelot's below. Then I moved forward to the next page. Only your post remained quoted.

Second, currently selecting reply the page scrolls don't to the quick reply box with the assumption that I want to compose my post now. This is sensible behaviour for a button labeled "reply". However, my usual procedure when reading a thread was to select all posts I want to reply to using multiquote, then composing the entire post at once. Jumping to the reply box disrupts my reading process, and I don't want to write my posts in piecemeal considering posts I haven't yet read might already say what I have in mind or add further context to the discussion.

Obviously not a priority, just to illustrate that the previous multiquote behaviour had value and should return.

Same, I would really miss the join date in particular.

8. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Downloads database will come back. Within the next day or two hopefully.

We also plan to add all old smilies back this week.

I also plan to add a darker forum style this week. Right now we have just one style so I don't expect it to please everyone, especially for users who were using the darker themes.

Will also add a civ6 forum style.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    racha likes this.
  9. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

have to say the time limits to edit posts is very annoying..i hope that feature is removed

also, the quote symbols in the main forum menu are an eyesore

10. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

I hope the breadcrumbs at the bottom of each page, especially the Previous< >Next buttons, are coming back...

11. Tech_150

Tech_150 Chieftain

Yes, I noticed that, too. :(

I know the issue from another forum, XenForo doesn't support tables with built-in BB codes. But there's a plugin to add table support: https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/cta-table-bb-code-help-page-png.67031/

Don't know if it's compatible with the current board version. Then again, the markup is all different, so older tables need manual fixing anyways. :(

12. racha

racha Warlord

It was certainly a bit of a shock logging in on Sunday to see the change. After the first millisecond my eyeballs were burnt out and it all went dark again, but now I'm having trouble avoiding walking into walls. :D

I run a couple of sites myself, along with self-managing the servers they're hosted on so I appreciate the effort that goes into a change like this and hope the naysayers don't drag you down.

The VBulletin 3.x line is about 100 years old and hasn't been actively developed in forever, also, with the PHP requirement for other ~things~ creeping upward I think only 3.8.9 still works with a fairly recent PHP 5.x (which itself is about to be obsoleted by PHP 7 (skipping a number seems to be a thing these days)). Even the VBulletin 4.x line is pretty old at this point and VB5 is kinda rubbish if you use much in the way of add-ons (it's not designed for them).

13. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Just to provide some extra feedback on the layout and color scheme, I notice that the background color I consider too bright is actually about the same as the old theme I used (maybe just slightly brighter), and judging by the color scheme of other elements this might be considered to be the new version of that scheme. I really hope we can get another version that is closer to the old one, with only the contents of the post in the brightest off-white, darker color around profile and avatar, and stronger breaks between posts to reduce the eye-strain. I would hate having to change to dark-cfc or other equivalent as this is the color scheme I've known CFC for since ancient cfc days.

Comparison:
    Spoiler :

14. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Now that I see it again I am convinced we need to ape the profile configuration of CFC classic as closely as possible. That means username and title above the avatar, no shading, location shown, and everything resized. How do you tamper with perfection?

Silurian likes this.
  15. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

I would really like to see a way to increase the # of posts per page although I realise there is unlikely to be an immediate fix.

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

And I see join date and postcount are back, great!

I also agree with the above post: the bright grey is fine, we simply need more contrast and separation from other interface elements.

17. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

TrekBBS changed from vBulletin to Xenforo earlier this year. They managed to have a multiquote feature, so there's no reason why we don't have one. That is a basic and necessary feature, and without it, I predict numerous instances of serial posting.

It would be nice to have collapsible forums. I really don't care about anything between Site Feedback and Civ II and between Civ II and the Colosseum.

18. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

Given the length of this thread perhaps it might be worth having a stickied and locked 'Reported Issues' thread with a brief description of the issue and its status e.g. 'Under investigation', 'Workaround is..', 'As designed' and 'Fixed'?

19. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Multiquote is a feature we can enable.

20. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I agree that there needs to be a little more contrast between the different interface elements (although, those might come once we get interface options). I'm constantly overlooking the page x of y buttons. The only other critique I can think of that is bugging me is I wish the time/date stamp and post # were at the top of each post rather than the bottom. Otherwise, I'm adapting pretty well so far. Keep up the good work!