1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Anything goes, foreign, domestic, international... Feel free to wander off on tangents.

The Spy Who Shagged me

https://nypost.com/2020/12/09/rep-swalwell-wont-say-if-he-had-sex-with-chinese-spy/

Ringleading Russiagater Eric Swalwell (D-Ca) apparently rose to power with the help of a Chinese spy. Last year Swalwell accused Donald Trump Jr of meeting a Russian spy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/eric-swalwell-donald-trump-jr-spy

Hunter Biden and father Joe's transition team just announced authorities have been investigating Hunter's taxes and finances, ie the laptop and accusations of graft and money laundering. You know, accusations Democrat media suppressed before the election.

Youtube has announced they wont allow videos arguing election fraud

"The company (Youtube) that rigged the election by suppressing legitimate information in order to influence the outcome of the election more effectively than any foreign government could ever do is now telling us to preserve our faith in the election they need to censor us more" - Tucker Carlson

Florida police raid whistleblower, she refused to lie about covid data and they raided her home with guns drawn looking for a 'hacker'.

2. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

See, I should be a Congressman because I’d be totally unsusceptible to spies. Any useful information I’d have, I couldn’t share because my immediate concerns aren’t political or particularly relevant.

Spoiler sample minutiae :
    How come they took the shopping part off of Wheel of Fortune? I liked seeing what people would pick, and nobody ever picked that Dalmatian statue. Then they added on all those toss-up puzzles and prize wedges onto the wheel. It’s so long and drawn out with no gameplay. And how come the price of a vowel’s never gone up? It’s not 1975 anymore, raise the price already! I liked it better when they had the mechanical board too.

And what kind of a name is Sajak anyway? Is that Czech? The only Czech names I know are all communist dictators. I don’t think Pat Sajak would make a good dictator, he seems like a nice guy.

I’m almost out of laundry soap. I better swing by the drugstore and pick some up.

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Join my left of center party focus on tax increases and going after corporations.

Universal healthcare, funds for school and training. Will vote for SJW causes but won't beat you over the head with it. Won't even campaign on it.

Skills based visa immigration system and infrastructure build for affordable housing.

Supports independent electoral commission for electoral boundaries with proportional representation.

Free tertiary for required skills (health and education degrees) double cost of arts degrees.

Successful candidates are not allowed to use twitter.....

Berzerker likes this.
  4. Sarin

Sarin King

Most likely western or southern Slavic, but impossible to tell more accurately without knowing how exactly was it perverted to suit English spelling. Slavic languages-at least those using extended version of latin script-contain wealth of special diacritic to cover their own sounds, and it's often cut out with no regard to original pronunciation by English users.

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

TRUMP 2020, it's not a slogan, it's an expiration date

awesome:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Sommerswerd likes this.
  6. Samson

Samson Deity

Berzerker likes this.
  7. amadeus

@Samson you have reminded me I need to finish watching this 1981 forum on arms sales as a foreign policy tool.

What’s interesting about it? Joe Biden is on the panel. Has he changed his mind much over the past forty years?

Could it give us some idea on what side a Biden admin would come down on re: Arab jet sales?

Patine likes this.
  8. Ziggy Stardust

I really hope I don't have to account for things I said in 1981.

Ok, I was 9, but still.

mitsho likes this.
  9. amadeus

I’m not trying to catch Biden in a “gotcha” game, I’m looking to see what would be his strategic vision, and if it isn’t this, what factors led him to reconsider?

I was watching a little bit of this a week ago or so and I don’t think Biden said anything egregious.

You and I differ not just in age, but also that we are not elected officials who are responsible to the public. At least, I’m not! :)

10. Ziggy Stardust

Me neither. That would be a crime against humanity. Didn't check the video by the way, just making conversation :)

edit: mental note, avoid emoticons for the next month

11. Samson

Samson Deity

Lebanese PM and 3 former ministers charged with negligence over port explosion:

Berzerker likes this.
  12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Diane Feinstein is reportedly having severe memory issues. She's been throwing fits at her aids for failing to brief her on issues....five minutes after getting the briefings.

Apparently it was Schumer that got her to step down from certain committee responsibilities- and he had to have the same conversation with her multiple times. She is 87 and the oldest currently serving senator.

Estebonrober, Samson and Birdjaguar like this.
  13. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Can we hope Biden will appoint her CIA director, what with her vast experience with the spooks?
    It's not as if the propaganda for the public ever changes...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Estebonrober likes this.
  14. Samson

Samson Deity

There is a major protest going on (and has been for a while) about removing guaranteed prices for farmers products. The farmers are bringing transport to a standstill, and say they do not need to get back to their farms until April.

We are getting appearances from the most left wing politician I have seen on TV for a while, as a talking head. His party broke off to the left of the Communist Party of India referred to the "right" strategy as "a national approach of class collaboration". Handbags at dawn that day.

15. amadeus

I think the 100 Republicans in Congress “challenging” the results of the election are just playing the game until January 20th. Once Biden is in, Trump is presidenta non grata.

I suspect there will be fewer than 20 hangers-on.

16. Sarin

Sarin King

Those green Euromorons haphazardly trying to force reduced emissions. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for actual change toward more ecological world...but this is not it. All they're doing is making any kind of production within EU financially impossible, forcing even more relocation of production to the countries with no such regulations, effectively increasing total emissions while making EU even more economically dependent on these countries. And especially China has been very aggressive recently in leveraging such weaknesses politically.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Samson

Samson Deity

I am not certain what you are referring to, but effectively exporting our CO2 production to places which are less careful about reducing the CO2 footprint of their production is bad in 2 ways. It both loses our productive industry AND increases the carbon footprint of our lives.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

In the US, being left of center and advocating for healthcare and education gets you branded a communist.

Estebonrober, hobbsyoyo and cardgame like this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Secession? Rush Limbaugh floats a startling notion — then quickly backs off.

Rush Limbaugh isn’t saying he wants the country to split into red and blue factions as a result of conservative fury over the election results. As he attempted to make clear Thursday, he’s just saying that other people are saying it.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. Patine

Patine Deity

It's not like American voters were ALLOWED a Presidential candidate who was ABLE to win the rigged U.S. system who had any true integrity or would like bring about any needed reform, except at a glacial pace, anyways, so don't feel bad...

Is that McCarthyist idiocy STILL a thing? I don't often hear it in American media anymore. I much more often hear Americans inappropriately and ridiculously slapping on words like, "Fascist," and "Nazi," nowadays...