General Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't know Drak. Seems like the Sheriffs association in IL has some words about being hamstrung at preventing violence. I'm hearing rumblings of 'catch and release' again from the metropolises. Guess we are up with the mood, eh?

So you can't read. The letter is from Cheney and Thompson TO the FBI. The FBI responded, Yes those statements are incorrect. They then relay that information to the public. This isn't Cheney investigating by herself. She is literally doing her job as a Congresswoman, to ask questions of parts of the Federal Government, to subjects in her purview as a member of a committee.

It was a statement by Cheney and Thompson and what you linked was not the FBI's response, it was someone who writes at Emptywheel, whatever that is. Your sources are Liz Cheney and someone who proceeded to admit the DoJ wasn't looking at sedition or insurrection. Thats what Reuters said and thats what I said.

This also isn't something that an everyday person has no or little knowledge of, like WMDs in Iraq. We saw the storming, we can look at the social media coordination in the leadup, see Trump's speech, and then see the Insurrectionists in action. This is why when you came in with that article, I immediately pushed back. Because it is denying reality. I've simply added, the fact that the FBI, which is deeply right-wing sympathetic, also does not back said findings. Individual FBI people might deny reality to run cover for fascists, but that is nothing new. as I pointed out.

it was a riot

It, like I pointed out when you posted the article cites 'anonymous law enforcement sources'. Not based on official reporting by the agency. You literally melted down constantly about the FBI. But now you instinctively trust an anonymous source, just because it fits your narrative. Do you have introspection? Can you see how you are not at all consistent?

When the DoJ contradicts the narrative its because the narrative was bs. In 2016 the narrative was Trump is a traitor, Mueller and Horowitz destroyed that narrative. In 2021 the narrative is "Insurrection" and the Reuters article is evidence the new narrative is crumbling. The people in need of introspection are those who keep seeing official reports contradict their narratives.

More, inability to read. And I notice not actually quoting the paragraphs properly. Typical bad faith.

How did I misquote him?

Obstruction isn't a 'strawman'. Reuters makes a claim that there aren't serious charges. Obstruction is a serious charge, a possible twenty-year sentence, and it is a far easier case to argue. It isn't a lesser charge. Quoted again below.

Reuters said that within the context of sedition or insurrection, thats the stadium and your source is running off with the goalposts. Whats the maximum for those crimes? And ofc obstruction is easy to prove, their riot delayed a vote in Congress. But thats not what the Democrats have been saying, they called it an insurrection - treasonous, seditious, traitors, yada yada. So why is your source so upset about Reuters?

You didn't quote this in context and actually engage with it. You just do a nonsense spiel.

Its irrelevant to my argument, I never said Reuters was right about the seriousness of any crimes. I said their article shows people wont be charged with insurrection and your source admitted it. Is 20 years the maximum for sedition? I dont think so. Yes 20 years is serious time, Reuters was not arguing no prosecutor and judge will throw the book at some guy for 'obstruction' but the narrative wasn't 'Those darn Obstructionists'!

Terrorism HAS already been charged, OR it will be invoked as a sentencing enhancement later in the process.

Riots are terrifying but 'or it will be' wont pass muster with a jury and a judge or they're gonna have to explain why hundreds of riots last summer weren't terrifying but this one was.

It's a violent mob, trying to overturn the election results of a legitimately elected Government. BLM protesters marched for racial justice. The fact that you can't see the difference, just shows how hollow your claims are of not being a Full on Arch Republican. Your response to protests against a State Officer murdering, an unarmed civilian, as a so-called Libertarian is 'seditionists'. People have a fundamental right to protest. They do not have one to violently try to overthrow the government.

It was a protest turned riot, we all should be quite familiar with that thanks to BLM, Antifa and the Democrats.

Millions of people, and lots of independent media, called it the Capitol Insurrection, among other names. You can search just 'Capitol Insurrection' and get results specifically for it.

Who is this independent media? If I search google will I find a list of all these convicted insurrectionists?

But you are going on and on, about this somehow being a thing that Democrats invented. Get a grip man. Or just own being a Fascist Republican. Literally, nobody else is doing this ****, even your fellow Republicans on this forum. You can just not engage in defending a insurrection.

And the Chewbaca Shaman was the ring leader... This wasn't an armed insurrection, the only shots fired came from police. Thats one reason DoJ wont be prosecuting people for insurrection, nobody fired on the authorities. Now you can pretend there was some plan to take over the government but it was just another protest that turned violent.

I didn't call BLM and Antifa insurrectionists, why would I change my tune now? The DoJ is gonna look stupid if they prosecute a handful of people for what they said on social media, I'm sure we can identify plenty of "burn it down" and 'fry the pigs' comments from last year.

One more thing, claiming BLM sought racial justice with their protests ignores the races of the victims of those riots. Thats why black business owners displayed that information on their stores for rioters to see. Destroying people's property based on their skin color sounds like something we'd see from racists, not people seeking racial harmony. Time for a little BLM introspection...

Well the body was ways of shutting that down /s

"Let's make something very clear: Rape is a crime," Abbott said while signing a major GOP election-reform bill. "And Texas will work tirelessly to make sure that we eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas by aggressively going out and arresting them and prosecuting them and getting them off the streets."

He added: "So goal No. 1 in the state of Texas is to eliminate rape so that no woman, no person, will be a victim of it." The governor also said Texas had numerous organizations that support rape victims.

Don't rapists have to commit at least one rape before you can go after them?

Riots are terrifying but 'or it will be' wont pass muster with a jury and a judge or they're gonna have to explain why hundreds of riots last summer weren't terrifying but this one was.
There is the world of difference between civil disorder happening on the street and in the primary seat of power. That is why people tend to use different words.

In the conservative mind, a criminal is a type of person, not someone who has committed a crime. To them, it's like being an alcoholic: A person doesn't need to be a drinker to be an alcoholic, being a drinker is just how you find out that a person is an alcoholic. Likewise, having a drink - even regularly - doesn't make you an alcoholic. Person A might not have done a thing - yet - but has what they consider to be the identifiable markers of a criminal; meanwhile, Person B may have demonstrably and incontrovertibly committed a crime, but is still a good person worthy of forgiveness. Person A has a character flaw; Person B's behavior was "out of character."

Maybe we can police it like we police those right wing terror groups. Fits your idea to a T, Egon. Glue traps for rapists!

It is strange that Abbott has a plan to end rape in Texas, but has waited until now to bring it up. I guess it wasn't important enough before.

I take that to mean anywhere there is rape, and no comprehensive plan to end it, has institutionalized it intentionally. It's s feature, not a bug. There actually is a type of person that overwhelmingly rapes. Just need to have the courage to go after them for what they're all waiting to be!

Texas must be a strange place if all the rape is done in the streets.
"the streets" is invoked as the name of a place where certain kinds of people come from. The term is meant to conjure the image of that sort of person... in contrast to, decent hardworking folk... who in turn, presumably don't come from "the streets".

Last edited:
Sort of like the hills. And sort of not.

Of course.

I mean, that's the only reason I've ever voted for one. Gotta keep that rape platform firm.

Yuppers. Know your audience. They're all the same peoples, but don't tell them that. Oh no sir!

"We're going to end rape, and buy you a house, and a puppy and some ice cream, and we're going to stop all those puppy murders down the road while we're at it!"

Nah, never heard that one before.

Well, horses or whatever. :assimilate:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom