General Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas has a two year backlog for processing rape kits. I see they are working hard to get rapists off the streets.

Working hard? Too bad they must be meeting stiff resistance.

Election on monday, but I don't know how much to say about it

I'm scared the right wing has caused irreperable damage the past 8 years

big chance they'll lose this time because "they've had their turn", which I really think is the leading sentiment with people, which kinda shows how stupid people in this country is

but given how stupid they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the government holds

Personally my political views haven't changed much over 8 years except that I've gotten stupider, so I'll vote how I've always done

Australia does not have a section 230 then?

Australia rules Facebook page operators are legally liable for user comments under posts

Australia's High Court has ruled that companies running Facebook pages can be held liable for user comments on them, a ruling with severe consequences for any business with a presence on the Mark Zuckerberg-owned platform.

The ruling knocks out a major plank of Australia's legal protections for companies hosting third-party content created by others – and could have implications for the rest of the English-derived common law system.

While that won't effect the UK thanks to primary legislation making the position clear, other common law jurisdictions looking for a stick to beat social media platforms with might be tempted to go down the Australian route.​

While that won't effect the UK thanks to primary legislation making the position clear, other common law jurisdictions looking for a stick to beat social media platforms with might be tempted to go down the Australian route.

Much more fruitful and not-harmful to general liberty would be to go after social media platforms for their specific instances of collusion with governments, and of course for things they say themselves (even in the US, 230 does not apply when it is the platform itself making a statement rather than one of its users). Another useful angle to hit those cretins would be along the lines of "baited me to do business here, made profit from that business, then terminated in bad faith/inconsistent with agreements".

Punishing them for what other people say/do, rather than what they themselves are saying/doing directly, comes off as obtuse, unfair, and pointless.

Yes, but the biggest players benefit the most from every form of communication being recorded, and liability being cast-iron. Good luck out competing as a couple of schmos. If I were a big business with a lot of smaller competitors, or even just a jackass government, this has major potential.

All change in Morocco

Morocco’s long-ruling party has suffered a crushing defeat to liberal rivals in parliamentary elections, according to provisional results announced by the interior minister.

The Justice and Development Party (PJD) saw its support collapse from 125 seats to just 12, far behind its main liberal opponents, the National Rally of Independents (NRI) and the Authenticity and Modernity Party (PAM), and the centre-right Istiqlal Party (PI). The results were announced early on Thursday.

At the NRI headquarters, celebrations erupted when it was announced by election officials that the party won at least 97 seats, so far the highest among the parties that contested the polls.
PAM ranked second with 82 seats closely followed by PI with 78. There are 395 seats in total.

Despite having been the largest party since 2011, the PJD has failed to stop laws it opposes, including one to bolster the French language in education and another to allow cannabis for medical use.​

Last edited:
Well, that's a devastating loss!

LA police feed anyones data into Palantir's surveillance system

Los Angeles police are instructed to collect social media details from people they stop and talk to, even if those civilians aren’t suspected of breaking the law, according to documents finally revealed after a lengthy legal battle.

It turns out LA police have for years [PDF] been told to collect social media information – such as usernames, email addresses, and profile page URLs – from people stopped and spoken to by officers, whether or not those people were involved in a crime. A card can even include someone's social security number if an officer so wishes.

The overall goal is to funnel social media records and other data into a Palantir-built surveillance system, broadly monitor people, and identify connections between civilians.​

Another reason to ignore social media.

Time to flip the switch I see...
There are times when that seems like a very good idea. Maybe just shut down all social media access for one week/ten days a month. In any case I am glad that I have not had to deal with this madness for most of my life. I am sorry that things will continue to be very messy for many years to come. But for millennials and GenZ it is their norm and they will find ways to cope.

such as usernames, email addresses, and profile page URLs – from people stopped and spoken to by officers, whether or not those people were involved in a crime. A card can even include someone's social security number if an officer so wishes.

Considering how email addresses are considered PHI for the purposes of HIPPA and such, it might be hard for the police to then make a case that this doesn't constitute an illegal search. Though courts tend to be over-friendly to police misconduct on average, so who knows.

Time to flip the switch I see...

In an internet world where facebook is still the #1 human trafficking site, I don't think this is where we should be drawing the line in terms of flipping the switch. Failure to disclose ads properly is the realm of fines, and can probably be cleaned up that way when handled improperly.

The frontrunner in the California recall is Larry Elder (which is two stages. Firstly yes or no on recall. Then anybody who gets the most votes out of a score of candidates is Governor. So someone could win with a tiny share of the vote, like 10-15%).

If elected he will be the first black governor of California, you should be more enthusiastic about this.

I see there is wall-to-wall coverage on the news networks today for the 20th anniversary of 9/11.

I'll summarize.

The Saudis funded Bin Laden who then attacked the World Trade Center with flying bombs full of humans. America did their usual knee-jerk reaction and ended up spending trillions on a pointless occupation.

That is all.

If elected he will be the first black governor of California, you should be more enthusiastic about this.

It's amazing how conservatives can switch so effortlessly from general railing against identity politics and 'wokism' to engaging in the most nakedly stupid parody of Identity Politics when it suits them.

Larry Elder is a crazy person. He should not be Governor. And I'm certain that an overwhelming majority of African American voters in California will return Newsom because they prefer being governed by a sane administrator, rather than an arch-conservative wacko, who said that welfare is worse than slavery. Slavery. He also wants to get rid of all covid restrictions and ban Vaccine mandates, because California totally wants to dive in the same hole as the South.

Last edited:
It's amazing how conservatives can switch so effortlessly from general railing against identity politics to engaging in the most nakedly stupid parody of Identity Politics when it suits them.

Larry Elder is a crazy person. He should not be Governor. And I'm certain that an overwhelming majority of African American voters in California will return Newsom because they prefer being governed by a sane administrator, rather than an arch-conservative wacko, who said that welfare is worse than slavery. Slavery. He also wants to get rid of all covid restrictions and ban Vaccine mandates, because California totally wants to dive in the same hole as the South.
He also said that the white slave owners should get reparations for losing their product (i.e., black slaves).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom