GR28 - AWM vs 30 civs, Pangea

Thanks for giving me a chance to look the position over. I've been comparing this game to my surviving saves for GR18 (Korea, monarch, genocide), because our position there around 1000 AD was somewhat comparable to what we face here, and we won. But we weren't as badly stalled in technology in that game, and the global tech pace was much slower. So while I'm not in a state of absolute, metaphysical certainty that this game is lost, I agree that the small remaining chance of victory doesn't justify putting any more work into this one.

I'd be glad to start the next game at any time. The same settings would be fine with me, except that the AI aggression setting should go back to maximum, and we shouldn't be stubbornly principled about playing a bad-looking start. With an excellent start and a coast at our backs we might even try emperor pangaea, which I believe would be a new achievement. It's always enjoyable when you post a choice of possible starts, if that's not too much work.

emperor is really possible...with the right conditions and high aggression

I agree with that. Position is probably the most important factor in AW.

One reason I wanted to play this start is that every Monarch game before this has been winnable. This one had multiple strikes against it with the landscape forcing us to be long and thin and us completely surrounded. We had to have so many units we couldn't become a Monarchy either.

So what do you all want to do, A monarchy game with a better but not perfect position, or an Emperor game where I try to find a really good start? My inclination would be toward the Monarch game.

So what do you all want to do, A monarchy game with a better but not perfect position, or an Emperor game where I try to find a really good start?
Monarch, but with only one hand tied behind our back. :D

This is fine:

This is too much:

One reason I wanted to play this start is that every Monarch game before this has been winnable. This one had multiple strikes against it with the landscape forcing us to be long and thin and us completely surrounded.

Sure; I don't regret trying the worst-case scenario once.

Monarch is fine with me, since that seems to be the consensus.

I posted the scenario map in the user created forums at one point:

This is the thread

Note that it is especially suited to AW with a very slow tech pace. This allows you time to build up against the opposition. You choose a huge map to get the 250x250. The other sizes are unchanged (and likely wouldn't play well with the slower tech.).

Edit: If you have any problems, then post again and I will upload the current version.

Thank you! It seems to work, but I didn't have the time to play, yet. I think I am going to try a Monarch pangea, with the Celts and a good starting position. Maybe I'm going to write it up in the stories and tales section, to get some comments from these awesome players here. AW is just a whole new experience for me and not comparable to all the HoF games I played so far.

You guys really have some fine persistence to worm through these ultra-huge maps, I just finished reading some of the previous maps, great stuff, keep it up for us who don't have the time to play such monsters :goodjob:

Might I ask were one can get those mod for identifying the nationality of the units, seems really helpfull and I couldn't find it in the mod section, thx!

Do you mean Darski's colour palette as mentioned earlier in this thread, or are you just asking how to bring up the identifying colour discs? The discs aren't a mod; you just go to Preferences under the main menu and toggle "Show Team Color Disc". If you want Darski's palette and it isn't in the obvious place, Vmxa might have a suggestion.

Top Bottom