Map: 250x250 Pangaea
AI: All 30 opponents
Civ: Random (Persians)
Pangea
70% water
No Barbs
Monarch
Most Agressive AI.
AW: Must declare war as soon as we have contact with no trades, but we can look at our opponents, their techs, etc.

Roster:
Greebley
Commando Bob
ThERat
Daeron
Northern Pike

This was the first reasonable start. I skipped a blah Ottoman start because we just played them, a lousy Carthage start, and Arabs in the middle of the map start with no redeeming features or bonuses.

If we have close Iron we should be able to win this one.

We built 2 Warriors, Barracks, and then started the current Spear. We met the Ottomans in 3050BC. Our warrior was attacked by the Otto Warrior and won.

Spear in 1, city grows in 5.

Next city site looks like 1SE of the Cow (already roaded) or one of the hills to the NE.

Persepolis builds Spear, after this current Spear, followed by Settler, since we are at war with the Ottomans.

Looks like a really good start. River, losts of sugar bonusses, a few hills and our back against the coast. :)

I wouldn't settle on those hills at the NE, they won't be at our outer border for long. So we're better off having them worked for shields.

Despotism
80% Tax
10% Science
10% Luxury

103 gold, +8 gpt

Iron Working in 31 turns.

City Builds
  1. Persepolis (4) vSpear in 1, grows in 5.

01 Worker
02 Warrior

Current Units: 03
Allowed Units: 04
Support Costs: 0 gpt

Compared to Ottomans we are Weak.

Plans

Make another Spear and follow with a Settler.
~~~~

[IBT]
Persepolis vSpear -> vSpear in 4.

1 2950 BC

Warrior has healed, fortify for lookout duty.
[IBT]

2 2900 BC

Irrigation done, we road that plains.

As Persia, we are IND, so roading only takes 2 turns. We are SCI, too.
[IBT]

3 2850 BC

Iron Working in 28.
[IBT]

4 2800 BC

Move worker 1N, just SW of the two hills.
[IBT]
Persepolis vSpear -> Settler in 5 (city will grow in 5, also).

5 2750 BC

Should have moved the worker south, not north. If we build our next city 1SE of the cow, we have to cross two rivers to get to it, based on our current roading. The tile 2SE of the capital needs to be roaded to allow one turn access.

New Spear moves onto the hill slightly SE of the city and reveals a mountain SE of the next city.

Worker irrigates.
[IBT]

6 2710 BC

Spear moves 1E, onto plains.
[IBT]

7 2670 BC

Spear moves 1E again, now adjacent to the mountain.
[IBT]

8 2630 BC

Spear climbs the mountain. Yellow-Green border to the SE. I'm using darski's pallette, so this could be Ottomans.

Ivory, unconnected, to the SE, also.

Worker roads.
[IBT]

9 2590 BC

Fortify Spear, at least for now.
[IBT]

Persepolis settler -> vSpear in 3.

10 2550 BC

Looked at the game and decide to end here so we discuss where to put our next city. Nothing has been moved.

And the save is attached.

Persian Empire 2550 BC
Spoiler :

The settler is built, but unmoved. The worker is unmoved, also.

Ivory is close by. So is another civ.

The Green Dot is where I was planning to build city #2, though the Pink dot is not bad. Both Green and Pink are three tiles from Red, which would gain us Ivory. Blue is just on the straight line path to Red. Green and Pink have access to fresh water; I think Blue and Red do too, but sometimes the map fools me.

Blue and Green need a road built to enable 1-turn reinforcements from the capital. Even with this road, moving to Pink will take two turns. The path to Pink crosses two rivers.

Military
01 Settlers
01 Workers
02 Warrior
02 Spear

Current Units: 06
Allowed Units: 04
Support Costs: -2 gp

checking in and 'got it'.

I am in favour of the green dot as we could move units from the capital in 1 turn. We should also try and grab the ivory though I think we pangaea, getting SoZ is not a safe bet.
I would try and expand until we have iron and then go after Ottomans. No point doing it at this point in time as we have seen that an early aggression is not necessarily the best way.

Without Warrior Code, early aggression wouldn't work anyway.

The number of hills is disappointing. I had to choose between Iron Working and Warrior Code on the first turn. Given the scarcity of hills, I think Warrior Code would have been the better choice, but there was no way to know that when I chose.

If we don't find Iron then I think we can use the saved cash for fast Warrior Code research. Life will be hard until we get attack 2 units.

Checking in. :rockon:

I'd rather settle on Blue Dot, which is also one move from the capital and would leave us free to put down three further cities on this river system (for a total of five) even if there's no more to it than we can see, as seems likely. If we settle Green Dot we'll lose this option.

Looking on the bright side, if we do have iron, we'll avoid the irritating inefficiency of researching two attack units in the opening phase.

Map: 250x250 Archipelago
:crazyeye: :mischief: oh, getting senile...thanks for pointing that out. Means SoZ for us if we want to

Pre-Turn
move settler towards blue dot, reduce lux to 0%

1. 2510BC
settler on blue dot

IT Ottoman warrior appears

2. 2470BC
found Pasadena, starts rax

3. 2430BC
Persepolis spear -> settler

4. 2390BC
warrior re appears nearby

5. 2350BC
warrior in position to attack us.
capital swapped to spear so we got some leeway

IT warrior doesn't attack of course

6. 2310BC
capital goes for a settler now in 4 just nice to coincide with growth
send out warrior to explore a bit

7. 2270BC
zzz

IT oh, a red Civ appears

8. 2230BC
its Byzantines and we declare war, they have 2 cities as well

9. 2190BC
climb another mountain to check things out

10. 2150BC
we have a settler that should go settle the river east of Pasadena
Ottoman just brought in another warrior
left units unmoved so next player has more room to play

as we got no offensive strikers, we need to play tactical here for the time being
And be careful not to put too many defenders in a city (like 3 spears) as the AI will then go pillage our land

Attachments

• GR29_BC2150.SAV
    319.9 KB · Views: 115
I was thinking about these spots to settle. With New City2 being the first to settle, since that way the city east of Pasadena can be reinforced within a single turn by the other, despite the river.

I think I agree with your placement for the first two cities at least, though it is a shame it isn't on the river or coast.

We could put a city 2 E of the capitol and move a city to a hill on the coast, but that is too tight around our capitol, so I would go with your dot map.

I think I agree with your placement for the first two cities at least, though it is a shame it isn't on the river or coast.

We could put a city 2 E of the capitol and move a city to a hill on the coast, but that is too tight around our capitol, so I would go with your dot map.

I agree we should make use of that coastal bonus where possible. Ignore the third city, it's not intended to be the third spot to settle.

Will start on my turns now.

Pre-flight

Science: 10 %, IW in 11 turns
Lux: 0 %
Tax: 90 %

Income: +13 gpt
Treasury: 304 g

Units:
1 settler
1 worker
2 warrior
4 spearman
8 total, with 8 allowed.

Move the settler and a spear towards the spot east of the capitol

IBT
Ottoman warrior moves on a hill within our borders

Turn 1, 2110 BC
Move settler and spear, warrior scouts a bit to the east

IBT
Otto warrior dies on spear, but redlines it (1 of 1)

Turn 2, 2070 BC
Move settler into place, warrior sees a few more hills to the east. I think we have a decent chance of iron

IBT
Persepolis spear -> spear

Turn 3, 2030 BC
Found Arbela -> barracks

IBT
Spot Otto archer, coming our way, so they have warriorcode

Turn 4, 1990 BC
Nothing much

IBT
archer moves east of Pasadena

Turn 5, 1950 BC
Persepolis grows to size 5, raise lux to 10

IBT
Otto warrior and archer die on same spearman, which promotes to elite against the archer (3 of 3)
Persepolis spear -> settler (4 turns)

Turn 6, 1910 BC
Move the spear on the hill west of Pasadena

IBT
nothing, the Byzantine warrior is too scared to move from his hill.

Turn 7, 1870 BC
Nothing

IBT
Nothing

Turn 8, 1830 BC
Move worker to road the sugarcane NW of planned city

IBT Pasadena -> spearman (can be changed to walls if felt necessary)

Turn 9, 1790 BC
Nothing

IBT
Purple scout enters stage left

Persepolis settler -> spear

Turn 10, 1750 BC
The purple scout turns out to be Portugese. A guy with a moustache suggests to co-exist in peace. They're up Alphabet, Pottery and Warrior Code, but only have 2 cities.

We declare and kill their scout.

Stopping here, the settler has movement left and with the worker finishing the road in 1 turn, can reach SW of sugarcane in next turn.

Ironworking in 1 turn, so we'll know if we've got iron or not.

I suddenly realize I forgot to put the lux slider back down to 0 %. This needs to be done before ending the turn.

The Portugese Scout came from the west, ending on the spot where one of our spears is.

Attachments

• GR29_BC1750.SAV
    342 KB · Views: 112
1750 (0): I return the lux slider to zero.

We discover IW and we have iron on Mount Pasadena, though it's not within our borders yet.

1725 (1): The question now is whether we're going to hook up the iron by founding another town or with a colony. Since the town would be either on the wrong side of a river or very close to the Ottomans, and awkward to hold in either case, I choose the colony. So my overall plan is to max-research Pottery in seven turns, pre-build a granary in the capital, and so replace as efficiently as possible the worker we'll be expending on the colony.

1700 (2): We found Shiraz one tile north of Daeron's red dot, to keep to my plan of fitting five cities onto the river eventually.

1675 (3): Not much.

1650 (4): Pasadena completes its walls, just as three Ottoman archers arrive outside the town.

1625 (5): Two of the three Ottoman archers attack Pasadena and perish (2-0).

1600 (6): We found the iron colony.

The Ottomans want to talk. They have four cities now.

Pottery --> Alphabet, due in 14 turns at 90%.

1575 (7): Persepolis granary --> worker.

1550 (8): Another Ottoman archer falls at the walls of Pasadena (3-0).

1525 (9): Persepolis worker --> Immortal, Arbela barracks --> Immortal.

1500 (10): Two elite victories this round, both defensive, didn't generate a Great Leader.

Top Bottom