Guess the map 15: GDP or population?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demographic
If so, then it is likely related to some segment of the population. Perhaps marriage or divorce. Or even deaths by firearms.

Are Jamaica and the Bahamas involved in oil production? Trinidad isn't listed either, if that's the case.

I have no idea what links Bulgaria with the Philippines, Costa Rica and Jamaica.
I have no idea. I just toss out the first ideas that occur to me. The one time when I absolutely knew for a fact what the map was about, someone beat me to it (the no rats in Alberta one).

None of the countries is altogether landlocked. That probably doesn't get us too far. (Since so aren't lots of other, excluded countries)

There's only one code, so it's not a scale. It's an either/or or an above/below X threshold. Again, that doesn't get us very far.

Just thinking out loud.

On the "indirectly related to guns" thread, is it about mortality or revolutions?

Is it countries where s———— is done primarily by firearm?

No

If so, then it is likely related to some segment of the population. Perhaps marriage or divorce. Or even deaths by firearms.

Death by firearms is a factor in what is mapped.

None of the countries is altogether landlocked. That probably doesn't get us too far. (Since so aren't lots of other, excluded countries)

There's only one code, so it's not a scale. It's an either/or or an above/below X threshold. Again, that doesn't get us very far.

Just thinking out loud.

It is above/below X threshold.

On the "indirectly related to guns" thread, is it about mortality or revolutions?

Mortality

Countries where life expectancy dropped last year?

Proportion of people killed by guns is greater than the proportion of people killed by X.

As noted earlier it is demographic related and we can add mortality (gun?) related.

is it related to drugs or some kind of trafficking

Countries where life expectancy dropped last year?

This is so close I'm going to give it to you. It's countries where life expectancy dropped over the period 2000-2021.

This is so close I'm going to give it to you. It's countries where life expectancy dropped over the period 2000-2021.
Nice. I had just read an article about the fact that the U.S. is the only 'developed' country whose life expectancy hasn't started to bounce back from the shock of the COVID-19 pandemic, as of last year. Yay, us! Leading the world, once again! [party]

Here's a quickie, just to keep things moving:

Is that the circle where more people live within it than without it?

Is that the circle where more people live within it than without it?
Yup. Half of the world's population lives inside the circle, half outside it (approximately, I think it's trying to be more illustrative than precise). Sometimes called a "Valeriepieris Circle." It's about 10 years old now, but I doubt the populations have shifted much in that time.

EDIT: A college professor updated the map in 2022, using the United Nations' World Population Prospects. Pretty much the same. This one includes Pakistan.

That one's a larger circle and seems more credible, but I guess that's just my Western bias showing!

Here's one which might be easy to guess:

The world.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom