Gun Rights

VRWCA, do you think the attitudes an repercussions of those attitudes towards guns is better in the US or in Ireland? In an ideal world, which situation would you prefer, taking all factors into accoubnt?

I feel safer without a gun and knowing most people don't have one either than I would if I and everyone else had one.

I am for guns to everyone who will show that hes not maniac, drug-user, has skills for using it properly and able to lock weapon.
On the other hand, knowing how are people idiots, I would feel endangered in country where are weapons widespread like in USA. I would try enforce more strict rules.

I honestly have no idea what the attitudes towards guns are in Ireland, nor what the laws are.

Though overall I will say that the world isn't a one approach fits best everywhere when it comes to guns. FOr the US, I think our system is pretty good, but it obviously won't fly everywhere. Whatever you all's views and laws are over there may be best for Ireland while possibly not (depending on what they are) in any way appropriate for America (or Missouri!)

I think that the main problem with guns in the US seems to be inner city gun crime. But the main poltical supporters of gun ownership are all rural people, are they not?

Shouldn't it be possible to let the rural gun club NRA people keep their guns but legislate to prevent the sale or ownership of guns in the larger urban areas?

I think that the US needs to put this "everyone has a constitutional right to bear arms" idea to rest and to be more pragmatic. That way the individual states can come up with solutions to the question of gun control that best fit their own particular cases. Texas can keep the guns but perhaps not Chigaco or LA- according to the will of the people of the areas in question.

By and large that's how it has been - DC had a de facto gun ban, Chicago and NYC currently very nearly the same, and other states, counties, and cities have varied greatly in what they allow. There's two issues with that, though. On the one hand the city folk (Mayor Bloomberg being far and away the most vocal of them) complaining that the guns are being bought elsewhere and funneled into the cities, thus the restrictive sales and bans should be nationwide for the good of the cities. On the other hand, there's a sense that the right to own a gun should not be subject to regional interpretation any more than the other rights in the Bill of Rights - "oh, the Bible Belt really should be able to treat/interpret freedom of religion differently than the more secular NorthEast or the hippie Pacific coast."

That'd be a false sense of safety then. People owning guns have a higher chance of getting involvd in violent crimes than people who don't own guns. Just like driving a 'safe car' induces people to less safe driving, I suppose...

And yet the US, where guns are legal, have one of the highest crime rates in the world and just about the largest prison population.

Well Switzerland is pretty damn safe and they have guns, so does Norway and the like. If your looking at US figures it's skewed by black / hispanic urbanites who kill each other in gangs - I'm not in a gang I don't want too I'm not going to deliberatly murder someone I will use it when needed.

How many crimes are stopped or prevented every year due to private citizens having guns? There is no count for that!

you do know that if you could get a gun, all the scary foreigners could too? so would you be any better off in reality?

Obviously only English protestant men can have it :lol: j/ks

That also means northerners... I think it should be just people from small villages in the Home Counties

if we did that then the north of the country would be overun by scots and other celtic rabble! even worse than northernes

And yet the US, where guns are legal, have one of the highest crime rates in the world and just about the largest prison population.
We are 24th in murder per capita. Colombia has a rate which is 14 times higher than ours and Finland's rate is only 50% lower than ours.

And as far as total crime rate is concerned, Finland, Denmark, and the UK have higher rates than we do.

Our crime rates simply do not justify our incarceration rates, especially blacks. Many blacks in prison are really political prisoners more than they are serious criminals.

When I seriously considered singlehandling a sailboat in the Caribbean, I looked into taking a gun or two with me. I came to the conclusion that is simply wasn't worth all the additional hassles when sailing outside of US waters. Many countries have very draconian laws and treat anybody with firearms as potential troublemakers. And if you do not declare your weapons and they find them, you are really in trouble. They will likely sentence you to a lengthy prison term and confiscate your sailboat.

And as far as total crime rate is concerned, Finland, Denmark, and the UK have higher rates than we do.

Not positive but I wouldn't be shocked if crime is just better reported in these places. Looking at the data, it shows places like Azerbaijan very low and I would certainly say they have more crime than us.

All weapons should be legalized with the exceptions of WMDs, Rocket Launchers, Biological weapons (if not included with WMDs), Genetically engineered Velociraptors and Space weapons (armed satellites and space ships/stations. And yes I'm being deadly serious here.

All weapons should be legalized with the exceptions of WMDs, Rocket Launchers, Biological weapons (if not included with WMDs), Genetically engineered Velociraptors and Space weapons (armed satellites and space ships/stations. And yes I'm being deadly serious here.

I basically agree. In the United States, the right to bear arms doesn't say which arms so constitutionally actually everything, even what you mentioned should be allowed...

Does that mean that mean from a moral standpoint we should allow them however?

Now they could make possessing nuclear material and genetically engineering things without a license and etc illegal to essentially ban said things though.

Instead of banning machine guns, maybe they should just ban a required part of a machine gun so no one can complain about the constitutionality.

Instead of banning machine guns, maybe they should just ban a required part of a machine gun so no one can complain about the constitutionality.

Sure. And let's not ban printing presses, we'll just ban ink. :rolleyes:

guns are cool, people who misuse them aren't, the gun culture of rifle shows and having ten different kinds of pistols is sort of disturbing, but much of the anti-gun argumentation is based on emotion.

those are pretty much all my thoughts on this issue, stream of consciousness style

If I had a gun, I would never use it under any circumstance, as I am not violent. Therefore to have one would be useless.

Equally, if I had a gun in America, I would never use it under any circumstance, as I am not violent. Therefore to have one would still be useless.

I think the most honest ans straightforward interpretation of the 2nd amendment is that the Federal Government has no right to regulate arms at all, apart from regulating their sale/movement from one state to another to help enforce state and local regulations. At the Federal level, even privately owned nuclear weapons ought to be legal. (Well, I suppose the Federal governments involvement with developing nukes could grant them patent rights letting them prevent others from making or selling nukes.) State and local governments however have a duty to make and enforce reasonable restrictions, which are also an important part of having a well regulated militia.

Sure. And let's not ban printing presses, we'll just ban ink. :rolleyes:

Well it would technically be constitutional even if its not "the spirit of the law".

No, it wouldn't be. SCOTUS is able to add 2+2 just as easily as anyone else (excepting a few in the Senate and about half of the House, that keep coming up with 3 or 5).

Top Bottom