1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for an atheist going to church

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kiwitt, Dec 20, 2010.

1. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

As well, it's probably not one of those home-wrecking denominations. And any reasonable skepticism can prevent a loved one from going off the deep end, though it's probably important to not have a poisonous vibe.

2. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

The unitarian church sounds like it would be a nice idea for me but I just can't help but feel like it's diet church. I was raised southern baptist so I feel like it's not really church unless the minister is up front shouting about hellflire and repentance, half the congregation is obese and/or over 60, and all the songs come from the old hymnals. Actually that was my grandma's church, the church we usually went to was less extreme.

Say what you want about the Baptists though, they make some really good down home country food. Except for the nasty pink marshmellow salad thing someone always brings.

Church can give you some good things to think about, I go with my parents sometimes when I'm back home. It's just a bit annoying when people start pressuring you to get more involved. My opinion is, it's nice once a week but I don't want to base my whole life around this thing.

Anyway, plenty of people ignore the submissive wife part of Christianity so I don't think it will be an issue unless you're married to someone who decided to read everything in the Bible literally and tries to follow every little thing.

3. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Well I think you already answer your question on whether or not you want to continue going to church with your wife. As long as you are happy that you are going because some of the things in a church can be of interest for you, and the fact you like going with your wife that make her happy that you are with her. It's a double win.

I couldn't do it with my girlfriend. After two trips with her, I was totally jaded by the whole experience.

4. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Yup. Perhaps you should follow the convo between posters as well. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about divorce? I certainly didnt.

There goes Jolly, assuming as usual.

5. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

That's the worst of both worlds. Still going to hell, but forced to get up on Sunday mornings and listen to some hymns with sketchy lyrics followed by some guy preaching at you.

6. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

Yeah it really sounds like you aren't doing anything wrong and neither is your wife. Church can be fun and it sounds like you enjoy the community there. Plenty of people go to church for exactly this reason. Now that you are headed into retirement it can give you a good social outlet plus service opportunity for your free time.

If the church has a lady vicar I assume its progressive enough that its not going to offend your sensibilities too much.

7. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

I love my church. I *might* be agtognistic, but the community is great and the kidz there are awesome.

8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

If the deal is marriage and the deal gets broken, then the common sense assumption would be that dealbreaker = divorce.

But it relly doesn't matter, since I say anything about divorce either. If you read "divorce" into my post, you should call in a lumberjack for some eye surgery.

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

You beat me to it :goodjob:
    Sounds nothing like my Church. Never Hellfire and brimstone, generally a fit group, generally young (more than 60% is below 30) and new hymnals every year. My Church is about love and forgiveness because forgiveness heals and renews.
    :yup:

Ephesians 5:21 "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ."

10. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Well only from sets of individuals that assume that as long as they are non-traditional about things like marriages.

11. Millman

Millman Mark the Magnificent

What kind of help do you seek? From a business perspective I'd like to know what the church's credit score is?

12. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I'm not suggesting all churches are like that. This was my grandmother's church which is a traditional Appalachian Baptist church. They're probably a dying breed now.

13. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

:lol: that is quite funny.

14. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

I go to a Southern babtist! The old people are wonderfully nice, but the food there isn't very good, but my paster is really good and friendly.

15. civ_king

World isn't missing much
    Aren't Southern Baptists congregations usually virulently homophobic?

16. Stile

Stile Emperor

I doubt it. Atlanta has been rated the #1 city in America for Gay Friendliness, while being the capital of the Bible belt. They have a very large SB population and they are near ground zero for the Southern Baptist movement (Augusta).

If by homophobic you mean SB think homosexuality is a sin, then sure, they are homophobic. The 1st Baptist Church of Atlanta nationally syndicates their sermons and I've never heard one on it. I don't think it's something they are that concerned about. I'm sure there's a wide range among the individual churches. I've heard a reputation for being judgemental and hypocritical, but to me that's more a personal rather than institutional failing.

17. civ_king

By whom was it rated? How does it out rank San Francisco which is considered the most homosexual friendly city in the world? I've only met a hundred or so Southern Baptists, but they all proclaim homosexuals are evil when it is brought up.

EDIT: Women are required in Christian tradition to wear a veil in church (so saith Paul)

18. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Some nuns don't even wear veils anymore.

19. civ_king

Damn you Vatican II misinterpreters [pissed]

20. Stile

Stile Emperor

Atlanta Journal - Constitution link: The Advocate magazine rated Atlanta highest.

Evil? I've never heard that word associated with homosexuals. Of course I don't bring it up. Were you mentioning the veil thing to me? If so, I don't get it.