Homosexuality's Influence on Population Growth

Dreadnought

Deity
Disclaimer: This is not a debate concerning homosexuality or its causes.

Recently, I've been mulling over the subject of homosexuality and its influence on population growth trends and genetic diversification. In a neutral sense, I've been trying to determine if there is a significant impact on population growth due to homosexuality moving into the popular spectrum in the last couple decades.

Now, I was thinking about this not as homosexuality relates to moralism, marriage, etc., but instead merely on population growth because, naturally, homosexual individuals will not be reproducing or passing on their genetic code.

Will there be a significant impact on population trends in the next few generations due to society's new stance towards homosexuality?

Why would something that's been pretty much the same for the past million years change trends now?

Well they can pass on their genetic code if they desire it badly enough with in viceroy or surrogate mothers or something.

Why would something that's been pretty much the same for the past million years change trends now?

This . I suppose there are maybe less homosexuals unhappily marrying and having kids , due to less people having to live in the closet ,but I'd think it's statistically irrelevant

That's what I thought as well. Less pressure to enter a conventional marriage.

Disclaimer: This is not a debate concerning homosexuality or its causes.

Recently, I've been mulling over the subject of homosexuality and its influence on population growth trends and genetic diversification. In a neutral sense, I've been trying to determine if there is a significant impact on population growth due to homosexuality moving into the popular spectrum in the last couple decades.

Now, I was thinking about this not as homosexuality relates to moralism, marriage, etc., but instead merely on population growth because, naturally, homosexual individuals will not be reproducing or passing on their genetic code.

Will there be a significant impact on population trends in the next few generations due to society's new stance towards homosexuality?
Statistically irrelevant in comparison to other things like the pervasiveness of birth control (Hello to impending population collapse in Europe)

Statistically irrelevant in comparison to other things like the pervasiveness of birth control (Hello to impending population collapse in Europe)

Yes the whole world would be a better place if population growth in the most resource intensive areas (the west) reproduced at rates typical of the third world.

You know what's worse than condoms? People starving.

Infant mortality is also much lower now, especially in developed countries, so it evens out. Someone who had 6 kids and half of them died would probably have 2 or 3 that would all live today.

Yes the whole world would be a better place if population growth in the most resource intensive areas (the west) reproduced at rates typical of the third world.

You know what's worse than condoms? People starving.
I'm not suggesting TFRs is best, it is best if European countries have TFRs a little lower than replacement (so like 1.8-2.0) so that you don't have to tax young people to death so you can maintain the quality of life for old people.

There is more than enough food in the world for everyone

I suppose there are maybe less homosexuals unhappily marrying and having kids , due to less people having to live in the closet ,but I'd think it's statistically irrelevant

I think it could be relevant, at least to the sub-population of homosexuals themselves. Suppose (just suppose, for the sake of thought-experiment) there's a genetic component to some instances of homosexuality. As long as cultural repression forces people into the closet and the culture requires sexual reproduction, genes promoting homosexuality can thrive. But if people are free to follow their inclinations, those genes would need HUGE kin-selection advantages to outweigh their direct-descendant disadvantage.

That would be a delicious irony of homophobia.

They are a pretty small minority, I really doubt it will have any sort of significant effect.

I think it could be relevant, at least to the sub-population of homosexuals themselves. Suppose (just suppose, for the sake of thought-experiment) there's a genetic component to some instances of homosexuality. As long as cultural repression forces people into the closet and the culture requires sexual reproduction, genes promoting homosexuality can thrive. But if people are free to follow their inclinations, those genes would need HUGE kin-selection advantages to outweigh their direct-descendant disadvantage.

That would be a delicious irony of homophobia.

Errr... recessive genes?

I imagine it would be very slightly negative, but its effect would be rounding error compared to the other trends that are reducing population growth, such as urbanization and increased use of birth control.

There is more than enough food in the world for everyone

Those in the West use far more types of resources than just agricultural products. And there are other environmental considerations than just resource limits, such as what is emitted at the ends of the production and consumption cycles.

You're ignoring how some sexy Cinemax lesbian action can turn heterosexual guys on & lead to increased procreation. You know the rule, right? Two chicks making out = hot; two guys making out = kinda gay.

Oh, wait. Was this supposed to be a serious topic? Sorry. Just ignore me then.

... because, naturally, homosexual individuals will not be reproducing or passing on their genetic code.

A lesbian couple, employing a sperm donor, could in fact reproduce and pass on their genes (David Crosby x Melissa Etheridge x Julie Cypher).

I'm also reminded of a study published a few years ago, speculating on Commie China's one child policy. That with the low value given to girl children - aborted, adopted off or just plain murdered - China will shift to a predominately male population and result in widespread homosexuality.

I thought China got rid of the one child policy?

I thought China got rid of the one child policy?

Not really. It's still officially in place, and will remain so until 2015, though if the Wikipedia article is to be believed, they're currently looking at removing it.

Top Bottom