• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How do you cheat via World Builder?

I think I understand how they're programmed, I just don't understand the reasoning behind programming them that way. Seems like they have an unfair advantage over my resourceless civ.

Until you realize that units can't spawn within 2 tiles of any other unit, and can essentially lock barbs from appearing withing 10 tiles of your capitol with nothing but warriors on almost every map/difficulty :).

Until you realize that units can't spawn within 2 tiles of any other unit, and can essentially lock barbs from appearing withing 10 tiles of your capitol with nothing but warriors on almost every map/difficulty :).

Fogbusting gets expensive production-wise, especially in the early game. Not to mention unit support costs on large maps.

Fogbusting gets expensive production-wise, especially in the early game. Not to mention unit support costs on large maps.

It doesn't have to if you do it right. An Archer on a Hill in the middle of an open expanse can cover alot of territory. You just have to look for spots that will give your units maximum visibility.

It doesn't have to if you do it right. An Archer on a Hill in the middle of an open expanse can cover alot of territory. You just have to look for spots that will give your units maximum visibility.
You don't actually need visibility!
Barbs just can't spawn within 2 tiles of a unit regardless of sight vision. To quote TMIT
TMIT said:
Until you realize that units can't spawn within 2 tiles of any other unit, and can essentially lock barbs from appearing withing 10 tiles of your capitol with nothing but warriors on almost every map/difficulty .

It is like they say. No barb can spawn in a 5x5 square centered in other unit, including other barbs. Visibility is not required.... OFC no barbs can spawn in visible tiles as well :p

If there is a barbarian event I'll give myself some archers... If I start out in a poor location I'll usually give my capital one of each great person to boost it up :)

Once along 300BC I suddenly realized, OMG, more than half of my cities' lands are deserts! not just floodplains, but deserts! so I changed every one within a city's radius to a plains or grassland.

It is like they say. No barb can spawn in a 5x5 square centered in other unit, including other barbs. Visibility is not required.... OFC no barbs can spawn in visible tiles as well :p

The bit in bold I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the information! :goodjob:

Just one thing though... Do you know if the spawning takes place at the end or start of the barbarian's turn? In other words, is the barbarian's own spawnbusting done before or after it moves?

Like others, I use WB if I know I'm going to lose and I'm really pissed off at the AI. I make a stack of nukes and a stack of lions. I nuke the crap out of the cities then send in my lions to eat up the survivors :)

Civ has impressed me with its absence of cheat codes and/or cheat menus. It's been that way since the first release. Granted, there have been exploits but those are usually patched out. The venerable Cheat Engine doesn't even work on any version of Civ (At least to my knowledge). So it's interesting that this version includes a tool that doesn't just give you a dollop of gold or that clears the fog of war, it gifts you with Zeus-like powers to do anything from give you a slight edge up to winning every victory condition, save Space Race, with a size 1 city.
As for using it, I could care less. If it's fun for you to use WB as a part of your gameplay then use it. If it isn't then don't. This is a game. I'd no more look down on someone for using WB than I would for someone not wanting to learn the detail and undertaking the micromanagement necessary to win on Deity level. Whatever floats your boat...

It's not cheating.... Its Enhanced Gameplay Techniques....

But seriously, i rarely use WB.... anymore. I recall with shame the days where i would WB myself a better start.

Never use WB; I don't usually reload a game either, though I will replay from the start/way earlier if there was something interesting about the game.

i have a series of games that i will not use world builder. i number them. if i can get 10 in a row i move up a level.

on the other hand, i get tired of the grind of trying to level up, so play a lot of world builder game where i just use world builder to see what the ai is doing. then i will counter. then play the game more like a sim game. how would i play in real life...... every now and then i will get a bug up my ass and completely abuse wb. but after a few turns it gets boring because it is too easy.

I cheat by testing via WB until I know what works (e.g. in which cases can I simplify my stacks without leaving serious holes -> more general-purpose units for the heavy lifting). I also cheat by going back to save points after a game is won or lost, to see if I could have done better by pursuing a different strategy after an obvious branching point and see if I can recognise patterns.

As for my regular games... those have lock modified assets on so I won't be tempted.

I've never used World Builder...never even opened it at all. It's like giving yourself all the money in a game of Monopoly. What is the point?

someone needs to play some table top games :lol: remember rule zero gais.

I cheat often, but usualy i find it to be pretty annoying that i have to cheat to get anywhere with my style of play, early game combat is extremely taxing, i dont get how people can ax rush anything when archers will kill all your mans.

Usually when I cheat, it's because i'm just mucking around, and doing 'what if' scenarios, or if i'm playing a game I like, and dont want to lose it early :)

Always only on solo games - I wouldnt tinker with something i'd play online or pbem with.

I have played 3 games so far and can't beat Warlord (yes I suck!) I always do well until the modern era and then the AI goes into berserker mode and out armies me and all of a sudden my empire collapses in about 20 turns and I can't do anything but stay alive.

so tonight I plan on building a naval map that favors me! Once I get better I don't plan on needing it but I really hate going into a game with a REX strat only to be boxed in, or develop the opposite tech tree to discover I need sailing, etc.

Top Bottom