How often and in what circumstances do you "like" on this forum?

More or less never, I started using forums in 2001 joined this one 2003, and we did not have like buttons back then. Its basically a way for morons to feel special about themselves IMHO.

Its basically a way for morons to feel special about themselves IMHO.

I feel like making comments like this is a way for people to feel special about themselves, way more than "like buttons" are.

More or less never, I started using forums in 2001 joined this one 2003, and we did not have like buttons back then. Its basically a way for morons to feel special about themselves IMHO.
:rolleyes:

Well, I guess that's a good enough reason to never drop a "like" on any of your posts. Thank you so much for name-calling those of us who do enjoy "likes".

There's nothing wrong with an occasional pat on the back, or "I agree". As long as those aren't mistaken for declarations of lifelong friendship or unconditional support or they're not obviously in support of troll posts, I don't see a problem.

It's kinda funny at CBC.ca... I seem to have picked up a couple of Reformacon shadows who downvote pretty much anything I say if they get to it before the comments are closed (votes are still possible after comments close but most people don't bother since they figure nobody will bother reading the comments after that). I could say "Good morning" and they'd downvote it... just because they think I'm a Liberal party supporter.

I have no idea how many "likes" I have here. I just passed 940 on TrekBBS. I've got 28,434 "likes" on CBC.ca. My profile doesn't keep track of how many downvotes I have. I'd have to search that out myself, and given the thousands of posts, I just don't have that much time to bother. I'm curious to know if there are any people who consistently "like" my posts there, but there's no way to know.

Hm, you got pages of people describing what/why/when/and how they are prompted to like a post, all of which you ignore in favor of your humble opinion.

:rolleyes:

Well, I guess that's a good enough reason to never drop a "like" on any of your posts. Thank you so much for name-calling those of us who do enjoy "likes".

There's nothing wrong with an occasional pat on the back, or "I agree". As long as those aren't mistaken for declarations of lifelong friendship or unconditional support or they're not obviously in support of troll posts, I don't see a problem.

It's kinda funny at CBC.ca... I seem to have picked up a couple of Reformacon shadows who downvote pretty much anything I say if they get to it before the comments are closed (votes are still possible after comments close but most people don't bother since they figure nobody will bother reading the comments after that). I could say "Good morning" and they'd downvote it... just because they think I'm a Liberal party supporter.

I have no idea how many "likes" I have here. I just passed 940 on TrekBBS. I've got 28,434 "likes" on CBC.ca. My profile doesn't keep track of how many downvotes I have. I'd have to search that out myself, and given the thousands of posts, I just don't have that much time to bother. I'm curious to know if there are any people who consistently "like" my posts there, but there's no way to know.

Its silly when you think about it though. Do people really care about what anonymous members of online forums care about their posts?

If I like someones post I will respond to it, even if I disagree. On some forums you get something like 10 likes or whatever and no one posts anything which kind of defeats the purpose of a forum yes? In ye good olde days one came here to talk about CivIII, then you find off topic and world history etc.

Social media comes along and now people are using like buttons like its friggin high school. Don't use the like button say something interesting, disagree politically, tell me about your country recommend a TV show, talk about pop culture etc. Anything that is not inane dribble will do.

Its silly when you think about it though. Do people really care about what anonymous members of online forums care about their posts?

If you think that, why bother to tell everyone that you think they're morons for using the like function?

In ye good olde days one came here to talk about CivIII, then you find off topic and world history etc.
You're not the old guy of the thread.

I use it ironically to like the posts of people who criticise likes.

Serious answer: I use it the same way as BJ uses it - to say "thank you for posting this". For whatever reason (humour, effort, merely replying to one of my posts...).

If I like someones post I will respond to it, even if I disagree. On some forums you get something like 10 likes or whatever and no one posts anything which kind of defeats the purpose of a forum yes?
On some other forums, you'll see threads consisting of one helpful post and a hundred of "thank you" replies.
That's where like feature comes handy.

If I like someones post I will respond to it, even if I disagree. On some forums you get something like 10 likes or whatever and no one posts anything which kind of defeats the purpose of a forum yes? In ye good olde days one came here to talk about CivIII, then you find off topic and world history etc.

Social media comes along and now people are using like buttons like its friggin high school. Don't use the like button say something interesting, disagree politically, tell me about your country recommend a TV show, talk about pop culture etc. Anything that is not inane dribble will do.

Why are you assuming the 'like' function serves as a replacement for contributing? It is not "one or the other". A 'like' will never serve the same purpose as an in-depth reply that offers a different or deeper opinion. Implying that a 'like' replaces that is fundamentally unsound.

Inspired by thread
upload_2018-2-8_13-42-12.png

You seem to care whether or not people "like" posts... at least enough to call us morons.

Uh-huh. And that's how it was for me. I came here for Civ II and later on I found the Colosseum. I still read and occasionally post in Civ II.

Social media comes along and now people are using like buttons like its friggin high school. Don't use the like button say something interesting, disagree politically, tell me about your country recommend a TV show, talk about pop culture etc. Anything that is not inane dribble will do.[/QUOTE]
Just because I enjoy using the "like" system on XenForo forums and engaging in up/downvoting on the news site where I post, don't assume I'm someone who lives on Facebook and Twitter.

My country: Canada. It snowed yesterday.
Current favorite TV show: The Handmaid's Tale.
Pop culture: I find pop culture confusing.
Etc.: Will think of something later.

I like anything that makes me laugh, think, or articulates my own view better than I could.

I have also liked posts I disagree with simply because they're well written and constructed and made me actually think about the topic again, instead of being a flat regurgitation of common talking points.

Less often than Perfection, and probably in fewer circumstances.

But what circumstances?
- As an appreciation of humorous posts, since many people posting in reply to a humorous post would quickly get old.
- As appreciation of well-written, especially if they are lengthy, posts, if either they are too old to justify a bump, or someone else has already said what I would have said (in which case I might like that post as well)

I suppose those are the big two. I do find it mildly nice to have posts liked, particularly if they are to long-running threads I maintain, as in that case it lets me know people are still interested in the project, even if circumstances haven't changed enough for them to have a new comment. I'm much less likely to find likes on threads I post and don't regularly revisit myself.

Social media is the worst, I am no longer a member of any non-forum social media sites. But I think there are some uses for the like button here.

Something interesting: Archaeologists near Hadrian's wall discovered a Roman cavalry barracks including intact cavalry swords last fall.
Disagree politically: I don't know what your politics are. But I'll take a guess that endorsing Donald Trump might cause disagreement, and endorse his proposed gasoline tax increase. Which has been an interestingly controversial-but-not-particularly-among-partisan-lines topic when I've discussed it with people so far.
My country: I live in the U.S. It has very diverse weather, and very diverse political opinions. Its gun violence problem can best be summarized by either this Onion article or this one.
Recommend a TV show: Mad Men is a pretty good show with a focus on human elements, evolving culture during the 1960s, and pretty low amounts of violence.
Pop culture: Not that interested in, although I will try to avoid inane drivel.

I hope at least one of the above responses was in fact interesting.

Disagree politically: I don't know what your politics are. But I'll take a guess that endorsing Donald Trump might cause disagreement, and endorse his proposed gasoline tax increase. Which has been an interestingly controversial-but-not-particularly-among-partisan-lines topic when I've discussed it with people so far.
But, but, but...if the feds increase the gasoline tax (rather than each state) Native American tribes won't benefit. Tribes are exempt from paying state fuel taxes to the states; they get to charge it and keep it. Tribes have to pay all federal taxes to the federal government. That is a ton of money for tribes that have busy Convenience Stores. That must mean that anyone who supports a federal gasoline tax, hates Indians!!!!! :)

Top Bottom