Instant e-mail notifications have stopped being sent

So far, I am able to receive Emails from notifications.

The first one came through normally. The next carried the usual phishing warning. The most recent was normal.

I told my email that it 'wasn't spam' and then this one came through normally.

Feeling cautiously optimistic! :)

It appears to work for me as well after I told that it wasn't spam. Interestingly the email send setup is different now and better yet, it is a proper setup. The old one was good at triggering spamfilters as it appeared to have faked the send address.

Imagine fixing the email address could be done in just 19 months :hatsoff:

By now I have a pretty good feeling about having moved to a new host. I don't know how good it is, but so far it appears to be doing what it is supposed to be doing, which is a great improvement.

I haven't received anything, but I don't know when the next batch of Gallery ones are due.

i have got the opposite problem, i do not seem to switch the notifications off, even if i tick the options in my Edit Profile... and untick the threads "subsribed"... the notifications are still coming.
t_x

I suggest, if you haven't already done so, going back to your profile and verifying that the subscriptions really were deleted.

i was about to say, yes of course, i did it piece by piece just 2 days ago... but going into my profile, 2 threads were subscribed again. :eek: i will have to follow this... definitely i had deleted them all, and definitely i did not subscribe again.
thanks for the hint.
t_x

The forum slowdown that took place several days ago was due to spammers (again) using our server to send spam emails. Thunderfall has temporarily disabled email while investigating the problem. We regret the inconvenience. I'll post again when I have more information.

Can't you just, y'know, man up, nuke 'em and take whatever flak the AI decides to send your way?

Oh, lovely. (not)

Anybody have opinions on whether Xenforo is easier to secure than VBB?

Anybody have opinions on whether Xenforo is easier to secure than VBB?
That's one kind of forum software I've never used. I do know that the owner of TrekBBS has been talking about migrating to Xenforo for at least a couple of years (that forum uses a version of vBulletin a little more advanced than CFC). That forum's email notification system works without a hitch, though apparently they had an issue with some of the ads inflicting malware on some of the members. I'm ad-free on that site, though (one of the perks of a paid premium membership) and never had any problems.

The main thing is, though, would Xenforo support everything that we need it to (ie. everything the Civ gamers/modders use) in addition to being more secure (not sure if it is more secure)? Does it have social groups? I know there are some features that vBulletin has that haven't been enabled here (ie. blogs, and not sure about personal photo albums).

XenForo looks like every other "professional" forum software out there: awful and simplistic. If we're upgrading, can we just upgrade to the latest vBulletin?

So, converting to Xenforo will turn CFC into a pay-walled Freemium site?
Nobody has said that Thunderfall is planning to charge premiums. I just mentioned it because TrekBBS is the forum I belong to that is most like CFC. It's large, uses vBulletin (the version is 3.something that's a bit more recent than CFC), has an international membership, extra pages where news items etc. are posted, it allows photo albums (as I understand it photos have to be approved here, whereas they don't at TrekBBS)... and what I found out last night after my previous post here is that yes, it will be migrating to XenForo at some point fairly soon. Word is that since the owner there also has a CSI forum that's migrating, he'll use that one as his "guinea pig" to see what glitches come up so as to avoid them on the Trek forum.

So it would seem that research on this is a Good Thing to do, as we don't want to risk losing uploaded material, PMs, etc. if the decision is made to move.

XenForo looks like every other "professional" forum software out there: awful and simplistic. If we're upgrading, can we just upgrade to the latest vBulletin?
This would actually be my preference. All I've heard about XenForo is its name, and absolutely nobody saying that it's a fantastic kind of forum that's easy to work with and modify.

Okay, I've found out that people can make a free demo forum that's good for THREE DAYS (you can request more than once, but I would guess that you'd be starting over again from scratch each time). So if the CFC admins are seriously considering this, please make a test forum and put it through its paces as much as allowed before deciding.

The forum slowdown that took place several days ago was due to spammers (again) using our server to send spam emails. Thunderfall has temporarily disabled email while investigating the problem. We regret the inconvenience. I'll post again when I have more information.

Why don't you guys just get the new host to instate a strict SPF record? It'll mark any server besides your own as being spam while also verifying that your specific server is cool beans and legitimate.

Top Bottom