IOT: Chiron - The Final Hope of Humanity

Biggest difference between a native IOTer and a native S&Ter: Smiley usage

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE THE POWER OF THE SMILEY ENGINE!!!

:band::band::band::band::band::band::band::band::band::band::band::band:

Spoiler :
caps

The frivolity... it burns!

Spoiler :
no it doesn't

PS
Spoiler :
Lets start playing :)

CivIV S&Ters #1

Enough processed canned meat please.

Sorry for the delay... This time its various forms of music as well as the girls and the school.

But as many of you know I'm currently operating on Greek time.

Thus It'll probably be Saturday at the earliest when I'll get this up... I am so awfully sorry to be delaying this. They told me that I would have time once the exams had finished... They told me lies...

Ohhh... at least tell me it was Jacques Brel ;)

Hmmm...may we at least begin diplomacy? Perhaps we are talking before getting onto the ship? We are in training right now? I want something to do :)

Hmmm...may we at least begin diplomacy? Perhaps we are talking before getting onto the ship? We are in training right now? I want something to do :)

He makes good point.

Go

We're still on earth before the spaceship has launched, maybe we're just onto the loading stage just before we get locked in cryosleep.

Samuel Alexander, Colony Team, UN Colony Ship Unity, stood nervously in front of the coffin-like box. He knew that it was rated safe by the experts, but he didn't really trust the eggheads. He assumed a confident position as the Chief Egghead, Dr. Elizabeth Ransom, walked up to him. From her amused expression, he could tell that she saw right through his mask. "Ready, Mr. Alexander?"

"I don't think I'll ever be ready to get in that.... box."

"Oh, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. Besides, remember what you get as a reward once the test is over."

At the mention of THAT, Sam almost fell into the box. As his body and mind numbed, but somehow felt freezing, he saw only her face...

-----

OOC: Here is described a standard 5-day acclimation tour in the Tank.

And no, I wasn't talking about that THAT, you pervs. :p

"ONE HOUR UNTIL LAUNCH, ENSURE THAT YOU ARE PREPARED"

That message was blasted across the loudspeakers in blatant English. They didn't bother to translate it, having decent English was part of the requirements to get aboard this ship anyway. Still, there were quite a few Russians in high up places aboard this ship, which ensured that Russian culture and language will survive beyond Earth.

Nikoli slowly ate his food while he waited for his Russian comrades to join him. He was already prepared for the launch, all he needed to do was actually get in the pods. The rest of the major Russian staffers were joining around the table, there were about ten of them. Nikoli was the highest ranking member there, so he was regarded as a sort of leader.

"Comrades," started Nikoli in soft Russian "have we made all the preparations?" Everyone nodded.

"The Russian pods are situated as close together as I can get them." said the Russian engineer "If something happens in space, then we will be together. There will be a few foreigners in their as well, but there is nothing that we could do about that." Nikoli smiled. Although he did not like the engineer's slightly racist tone, he was vital if this operation was going to succeed.

"The houses delegated to the Russians are all located in the north-east side of the initial landing site." said the Russian member of the housing committee. "There will be a thriving Russian quarter in this new city. The New Moscow region will be predominately Russian, our culture will survive." This was the whole purpose of the exercise, to ensure that there will be a strong Russian cultural presence in their new home. The rest of the Russian crew reported on the progress of the operation. Then, it was Eduard's turn to report.

"What about you, comrade Eduard? How are the hacking procedures going?" Eduard stared Nikoli directly into the eyes. Eduard was a hacker who got onto the ship via less than...legitimate means. Nikoli would have probably reported someone like him once he found out, however, Eduard was incredibly useful to have around. He believed in the cause that they were working towards and he was very loyal, so Nikoli made him is right hand man. Eduard was fairly cold emotionally and all around strange, however, looking at his psychological records said nothing. They were probably forgeries anyway.

"They are complete." said Eduard "I covered our tracks, it is very unlikely that anyone could have noticed. Although..." Eduard stopped talking and looked at the table.

"What is it, comrade?" asked Nikoli. This was concerning, Eduard usually acted strangely, but this was the first time that Nikoli saw him act so, concerned.

"Look...it's probably nothing." said Eduard "Forget it."

"FIFTEEN MINUTES UNTIL LAUNCH. PLEASE PROCEED TO YOUR DESIGNATED PODS" The group broke up quickly, they walked towards the same side of the ship. Nikoli was probably the last Russian to get into the ship. He was concerned by Eduard's behaviour. It was probably something unsubstantial that Eduard gets concerned by almost every day, however, this time it felt like nothing more. Nikoli pushed aside the his worries when he started to climb into the pod. As the pod lid closed above him, he closed his eyes and thought about the glorious new Russian paradise amongst the stars, somewhere where every man could call home without fear of being shelled by extremists. What Nikoli did not realise was that it is harder to remove human suffering than he would think...

He walked down the hallway...

Ooc: nice RP, no? Quite the cliffhanger!

No, I'm on my phone again. More later. I promise :)

OOC: How vital will RP be to this?

OOC: How vital will RP be to this?

Ooc: did he not say that the first half of this game is basically all RP with some text adventure thrown in?

On phone still :p

edit yeeeup, turns out the RP will have to be tomorrow.

Dear Journal

The plans for my part in the hope of humanity’s survival will soon commence. I am looking forward to do my part in aiding our colonisation plans and to commence the ability to conduct my sociological observations of human behaviour in a space ship. How will they be pressured and subjected to the acceptance of orders? Will it be virtue or the sinister forces that make people obey order that will be the force that the orders will be obeyed to? What will be the salvation of us all be like and will its opportunities for my research be grand? I am or guilt when I leave a planet where others will be doomed but I must look to the future and hope. I hope that we all find a need planet. I hope we all find salvation away from the chaos. I hope to conduct my research under a alien sky.

I bless this journal for its willingness to listen.

Doctor Cyrus Arthur McGill, Sociological Researcher on the UN starship Unity.

NOTE: LH and I wrote this together. His parts are in green, while mine are in black. Please make sure that, if there are RP bonuses, he gets credited as much (prolly even more, as he had a larger part) as me.

“OCD. Multiple personality disorder.” Flip. “Chain smoker, ex-convict. Former cocaine addict.” Flip. “Diabetes, high cholesterol.”

Dr. Samantha Jackson, MD, growled something unhappy under her breath. Who the HELL had put these people on a colony starship?

We’re all going to die within an hour of planetfall, the redhead predicted with gloom. She flipped through to the next set of records.

“Elizabeth Cromwell,” Sam murmured. “Scarred from combat in the Outback. PTSD, in all probability – she shows symptoms, at any rate.” The doctor jotted a note to keep an eye on the Australian solder.

Click-clack, click-clack. Sam’s high heels let out a distinctive almost-warning to anyone in earshot - the New York Doctor was in the area, and you could tell by the clattering of her shoes what kind of mood she was in.

The psychology was even quite simple. If the clacking was rapid and hard, she was angry or nervous. If slow and separate, almost rhythmic, she was in a good mood.

If she was putting one foot in front of the other in such a manner you almost thought she was walking like a normal human being, she was completely absorbed in examining medical records, and was probably about to slam into a wall.

"No word on whether she's suicidal," Sam mused, pursing her lips. She paused for a moment to consider. "It wouldn't surprise me, but I've seen people face worse with a smile."

The New York Doctor wasn't sure when she'd acquired the habit of talking to herself. Perhaps it had been at medical school, or when she ran the clinic in Chester. Perhaps it was because the only person in the Christian States of America who would really have an open scientific discussion with Sam without bothering with the trappings of the ruling elite . . . was herself.

Whatever. Samantha Jackson talked to herself. So did lots of people, and some of them pretended the voice that responded was a deity's rather than their own.

Click-clack, click-clack. Sam was on the move again, the metallic flooring of the UNS Unity giving the echoes of her footfalls a martial sound. Sam wasn't a physically imposing or powerful woman - she was the picture-perfect doctor, from the stethoscope around her neck to the white medical smock to the clipboard and the pencil; used absently as a hairpin. About the only medical stereotype she missed the bus for was glasses. Sam Jackson had 20/20 vision in her green eyes, and was proud of it.

The Russians might be a problem in cryostasis, Sam reflected, this time silently. She flipped a few pages to consider their medical records. They were tough men, but there was something about them that Sam found . . . off-putting. Creepy, even.

Maybe I should-

She slammed into someone as she turned the corner. Her clipboard went flying, the pencil crashed from her hair, letting it fall unchecked around her face. Both Sam and her partner in pain were floored with undignified cries. It took several minutes of rolling on the floor to extricate their limbs enough for Sam to idenfity her impromptu assailant.

---

"It's almost over". The Unity, while large, seems even larger inside than outside. Technologies that Elizabeth only ever heard about line the hollowed halls of the ship. Lights on the walls go on and off in a cyclic pattern, showing to the onlooker that everything was okay. Meanwhile, she, along with other colonists, were being herded into certain locations

Cromwell looked down at the dogtags that she still wore around her neck. On the reverse side was the names of her dead squadmates, permanently scratched with a knife. "I won't forget you guys in Chiron. I'll always will remember your sacrifices". Sighing, she heard the voices of the doctors reading over the medical files of people.

Elizabeth's mind wandered back to Australia. The country was becoming an anarchic wasteland every single day. The crazed survivalists grew only bigger each day, and any jurisdiction of any force of the government basically ceased to exist at this point. So much for Fortress Australia. However, she found slight happiness she won't be leaving anyone behind on that accursed island. Her parents are dead, though their deaths were natural, which she envied. Elizabeth's sister, Amy, went to Adelaide, where she joined the Red Cross and went abroad to help with an earthquake in Ethiopia. Max, her brother, was a tragedy. He was in Alice Springs when it got bombed into submission by those crazies. That actually was the reason she joined the Army 10 years ago. However, he was only a faded memory

However, being deep in this thought, Elizabeth never realized that one of the doctors was walking in the opposite direction. A hard slam hit her as she left her past and into her future. A grunt of pain went out of her mouth as she fell down backwards on her butt. Still shocked over the event, all Elizabeth could muster was a, "Ugggh, sorry about that, miss".

---

Sam rubbed her head, screwing her eyes shut and trying to fight past the flashing lights behind her eyes. It was like her seventeenth birthday all over again, complete with the fireworks. She STILL hadn't figured out where her father had gotten them from.

"My fault," she murmured, shaking her head and trying to regain her composure. "Wasn't looking. Entirely my fault."

Sam groaned when she saw her notes scattered all over the floor. She pulled herself up into a crouch and began frantically trying to recollect them as fast as she could.

---

As Elizabeth started to get up, she saw the scientist scurrying around the floor for the papers she had dropped. "Hey, do you want any help with that?" the colonist asked. However, not waiting for a response, Elizabeth started picking up papers anyways, peering at what the sheets contained.

The papers were mostly medical profiles of people on the ship. Elizabeth couldn't help but snoop at who these people were. There was a guy who appeared to have every single mental sickness in history, a lady who had nine children, and all sorts of other weird people. Then she picked up another sheet.

"ELIZABETH CROMWELL," it read in huge, bolded letters. Her eyes widened as she read the sheet containing all the information about her. "They really think I have PTSD?" she mumbled to herself before walking over to the flustered woman. Elizabeth then said, "Hey, you have a sheet about me." She then pointed at the paper with her name on it, displaying the paper towards the doctor.

"Yes, I do," the doctor replied bluntly. She snatched the paper from Elizabeth's hand. "Standard procedure. We have to examine everyone's medical records, from yours to mine even to Captain Garland's. What about it?"

"Oh, nothing. I just thought that-" she paused abruptly. Elizabeth didn't really know what she was accomplishing showing the paper. It was just a spur of the moment thing. Trying to change the conversation, she said, "So, I don't think I ever got your name, miss."

"Jackson. Doctor Samantha Jackson," the redhead replied, scooping up a disheveled armful of papers and attempting to organize them. "Call me Sam. Everyone does. Well, not everyone. I do have underlings, after all."

"Oh, okay, Sam. Well, here are the papers I found." Elizabeth then handed over the papers that she collected, making no effort to organize them in any way besides the order she collected them. "Well, I heard we need to get to the boxes soon. Do you know exactly when?"

"Well, about an hour or so," Sam replied. "I'll be supervising the first cryofreezing before the AIs take over and freeze the medical staff, so you're in safe hands. Just remember to calm down and try to just fall asleep. Makes it a lot easier for us." She shuffled her papers for a minute. "Thanks, by the way. And sorry again for running into you like that."

"No, really it was my fault for that, not yours. Anyways, you're welcome, and maybe we'll see each other on Chiron? Nice meeting you, Sam." She then started to walk away, towards the cyrostatis pods. Elizabeth didn't feel like she had to worry about calming down. With the execption of her sister, anyone she ever cared about was dead at this point. She just wanted to get off this forsaken rock.

---

Sam readjusted her papers again, sliding her pencil behind her ear. It was a comfortable, familiar spot - one she was used to something occupying. Pen, pencil, rolled-up note, whatever.

"Seems nice," Sam murmured, watching Cromwell march off. "Potentially a symptom of PTSD, but perhaps she just has this personality naturally rather than a false front. Should probably keep an eye on her nonetheless."

Maybe I should have one of the Russian assistants subtly follow her, Sam mused, again pursing her lips. Cromwell might be suicidal.

"Foolishness," Sam told herself, turning away. "There's thousands of ways to kill yourself every day on Earth. Why the hell sign up HERE if that's your goal?"

Chuckling at her own paranoia, the New York Doctor turned and started for the Cryostasis bay. Maybe there was time for one last round of tests before the Big Freeze.

Samuel stood nervously in front of one of those accursed boxes yet again. His pod was to be the first to get frozen, and he was NOT looking forward to it. He looked off to his left for the first time since he had come in, trying to memorize the faces here. He would be with most of them in a neighborhood in the new City, and so would be living with them for the rest of his life. He did a double take when he reached the person standing next to him. It was Dr. Ransom. His jaw almost hit the floor. "Liza... Is that really you?" When she turned to him there was no doubt that it was her.

There was even less doubt when her green eyes began to sparkle with mischief and she said, "Well, hi Sam!"

Top Bottom